Iberianature Forum

SEO/Birdlife XX Congress on Ornithology - Tremp Catalonia, December 4 - 8, 2010

• 6 Replies

Simon

« on: November 09, 2010, 09:26 AM »
The SEO/Birdlife XX Congress on Ornithology is taking place in my home town!

The full inscription ranges from €80 to €180 depending on being an SEO member and registering before November 15th. But there are plenty of opportunities for attending open events (free) and the various field trips for a small (€3) surcharge (some have extra charges for the transport costs, entrance fees, etc. - an important novelty for this year is that these are not dependant upon one's accompanying a paid up delegate.

I won't be a delegate but I will be going along on some of the open events and I'd be only too happy to translate the guides' commentaries during the trips. Or simply have a cup of tea!

Accommodation isn't included in the conference fees and there is a note that delegates have to arrange tier own digs. There is a rather less than helpful link to a local travel agent (which is still 'under construction' after at least two years to my own knowledge!) and to the Ajuntament's* rather limited list of hotels and hostals in the town. It's out of season for Casa Rafela, my holiday cottage nearby, so I can't help there - but I'm more than happy to recommend some local Cases Rurals, or farmhouse accommodation, although I wouldn't be able to get involved in booking there on people's behalf.

Hope this is useful for all you twitchers out there!

Regs

Simon

* Tremp's Ajuntament, the town hall, has gained quite a reputation for organising events, winning several local prizes. I know the person responsible for this and she has even written a book on the subject! So this bodes well for the gig!

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:02 AM »
Can't make it myself but thoroughly recommend going to the SEO conference for anyone that can. Last year's in Santander was very informative and enjoyable.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Simon

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:11 PM »
Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear that you can't make it. I'll be going along on a couple of the 'fringe' activities, specifically:

domingo, 5 de diciembre de 2010: 8:00-9:00 Salida ornitológica matinal al Areny de la Noguera Pallaresa, Tremp.
Lugar: Salida desde el Parc del Pinell. Viaje en coches particulares. Actividad gratuita, no necesita inscripción previa.

domingo, 5 de diciembre de 2010: 19:00-20:00 Presentación del libro Aves en el Museo del Prado.
Lugar: Museu de Ciencies Naturals de Tremp. Actividad gratuita, no necesita inscripción previa.

Actividades paralelas del martes, 7 de diciembre de 2010: 8:00-9:00 Salida ornitológica matinal a Gurp, Tremp.
Lugar: Salida desde el Parc del Pinell. Viaje en coches particulares. Actividad gratuita, no necesita inscripción previa.

If any of us are here maybe we could meet for a coffee before or afrer these dates.

Cheers

Simon

Simon

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 07:45 AM »
Well, it's that immutible rule again - the weather for the SEO conference was b***** awful, we spent the early part of the weekend not being able to see the cottage a hundred metres across the olive groves from of our house, so I guess the various organised field trips were pretty much of a write off!

But there was a very brief respite on Sunday, when we were rewarded with is evil looking critter appearing to take up residence on our neighbour's roof - we tend to take Griffon vultures rather for granted as we see literally hundreds of them most days circling over the village. But this close-up view was a timely reminder of just how big they are - amazing birds!

Regs

Simon
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:47 AM by Simon »

Offline glennie

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 21:16 PM »
Isn't that one of those plastic 'fits on your chimney' vultures they sell in Leroy Merlin:biggrin:

Offline Rosie

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 15:39 PM »
Our neighbours caught us out with an owl on their ariel.

Rosie

Simon

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 17:38 PM »
You're right Glenn - my secret is out at last - I am the fabled Inflatible Parrot Fiend of old London Town - after all, I married a girl called Polly!

I've been trying to go straight, 'onest guv'nor, but the old ways keep dragging me back. When I saw all 'em bootiful plastic vultures in LeRoy temtation came my way and I returned to my wicked ways . . .  :dancing:

Regs

Simon

PS we seem to have a genuine eagle owl as a winter neighbour - I hear its famous 'boop-boop' in the wee-wee* hours almost every night!

* and I use this term advisedly!