Iberianature Forum

Technopat are you there? Re Ledum pal

• 4 Replies

Offline Rosie

« on: November 12, 2010, 19:00 PM »
I am going to Miami soon and will be visiting the everglades where the mosquitoes are said to be somewhat bothersome.
I have ordered some Ledum pal from Weleda but it is 6C not 7CH. (As recommended by Technopat.) Will it do the job? I have never tried homeopathic medicine before. There are 125 tablets in the bottle and I have a feeling that you need to take about 20 homeopathic tablets at least 5 times a day for it to work.
Does anyone know please ???
 If it works in the everglades I will definitely be stocking up with it to take to Spain when I go back.

Muchas gracias

Rosie

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 20:21 PM »
Greetings Rosie,
Sorry for delay in replying.
As a mere user of homeopathy under strict doctor's orders, i.e. although it's been explained to me umpteen times, I don't know the diff. 'tween Cs, CHs and Ds, so I can't actually help you directly and shall forward your case to one or two folks who should be able to help. Can't promise prompt reply, so I hope you're planning well ahead, but watch this space. As for your
feeling that you need to take about 20 homeopathic tablets at least 5 times a day for it to work
, that's basically correct. Most of the prescriptions I get are for 3 granules 3 times a day (but always in CH). That said, it's actually impossible to OD on homeopathy: my mother-in-law friendly neighbourhood Doc once prescribed me Arsenic :dancing:, and when he noticed - my exemplary British upbringing notwithstanding - that I batted an eyelid, explained that I would have to take 100 times that dose every day for six months for it to even show up on a blood test that was specifically looking for that particular poison.

I'd've-thought-the-ones-you-have-to-watch-out-for-in-the-Everglades-are-the-'gators-rather-than-the-mozzies regs.,
TP

Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Rosie

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Many thanks for getting back to me.
We are not going out untill the end of Nov so will have time to get some striaght forward spray on mossie repellant if all else fails. I used it in Thailand, but got a bit worried when it made my nail varnish disolve! Still, no malaria in US as far as I am aware. It's just the maddening itch and scratch I was hoping to avoid.
Gator bites, I believe are less itchy, but more painful.

Regards,
Rosie

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:08 AM »
Greetings Rosie,
That should give my Usually Reliable Sources time to get back to me with a meaningful answer on the Ledum question. In the meantime, don't forget to order those CER 8 patches I mentioned (don't let the chemist fob you off with the several commercial variations on a theme - we've fallen for that one, and they ain't as good). Likewise, as I'm sure you've realised, sleeping under (in?) bednets is of course a must - not heavy enough to make a difference to your luggage allowance - but highly effective over the hours that mozzies are most active, i.e. when you're asleep. However, as the following articles point out, mozzies will bite any part of your body (!) that comes up against the net* ( "Malaria control through anti-mosquito measures" Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine Supplement No.17 Volume 82 1989) and "AN EVIDENCE-BASED VECTOR CONTROL STRATEGY FOR MILITARY DEPLOYMENTS : THE BRITISH ARMY EXPERIENCE". Of course, if you accidentally make a hole in the side it'll covert your bed into one of those phero-whatchamallem traps.

Stop me if you've read this before elsewhere on this forum, but my personal experience is based on having had to shake humungous amounts of what was then the British Army's Standard Issue Insect Repellant talcum powder, containing, if memory serves me well,** a 6-8% concentration of DDT on my body, so please note that I do NOT endorse any of the chemical products mentioned in the two articles and am greatly interested in knowing of other people's experiences with natural remedies/products. As are the many millions of people who are likely to die from malaria and other insect-borne killers every year.

*More of an issue on army camp beds than king-size luxury hotel beds
**Which it ain't likely to, as I've been trying to forget ever since, and my brain does tend to do what I ask of it :speechless:

This-was-just-going-to-be-a-short-reply-to-yours-...-sigh-! regs.,
TP
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Rosie

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:43 AM »
The Ledum 6C has arrived and the dose is 1-2 tablets every 2 hours in acute cases and 1-2 tablets 3 times a day in less acute cases. Not as bad as expected.

So.. I'm going to start taking the lower dose as a prophylactic measure the day before we go to the Everglades and then assess the mozzie situation when we get there. Won't be sleeping over, so will not need a net. (Luxury king size bed - yes!)

As I was dog walking round the local lake in the horrible cold fog yesterday evening, dreaming of when I go back to Spain again, I remembered that my Scottish Neighbour told me that Avon Skin-So-Soft body oil was particularly effective as a mozzie repellant. She said that lots of people use it in Scotland in the areas where the midges drive you mad. (Even the men.) Too late to get some now though.

Thanks for all the info,   

Rosie