Iberianature Forum

Building them castells in the sky...

• 2 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: November 18, 2010, 00:51 AM »
Greetings All,
I s'pose you've all seen the news 'bout Spain's performance at the latest edition of the Unesco Awards 2010 List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding, at which the country came out tops after having won three full ones (for flamenco, the chant of the Sybil on Majorca, and human towers aka castells) and two shared ones (for falconry and the Mediterranean diet).

As our Corresponsal (En. anyone?) in Tarragona, Simon's really the guy to fill you in on this tradition of standing on other people's shoulders, but as he's probably still out of action after having had to share in the post-nominational festivities or from a crick in the neck, or both, here's a tidbit straight from the horse's mouth:
UNESCO: Human towers inscribed on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity

Off-to-see-how-the-iberiantureforum-is-doing-on-keeping-the-falconry-thread-updated regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline glennie

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:05 AM »
To take this totally off subject ..I think the Spanish taco should be considered for the Unesco awards.

Swearing in Spanish is just marvelous. You can really get things off your chest.

Would be a terrible shame to see all those imprecations go into decline. 

For those who haven't started swearing in Spanish yet, do so while you can!  :)

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Greetings G.,
Are you sure that tacos are an endangered species? :booklook:

It's true that following Spain's recent Glorious Victory,* folks seemed to be more cheerful (not that would stop 'em using the c-word every third word :-X ), but now that they've come down from their high and remembered that there's supposed to be a crisis on, that all the immigrants are stealing their jobs, that the Catalans are planning to take over Madrid and sink what little remains of the Spanish Empire, and that the Brits who bought houses on the coast are responsible for the high property prices, I'd imagine they're back to effing & blinding away like billy-o :technodevil: And possibly even more, if physically possible :speechless:

*For those of you living in a parallel universe or have been off in a time warp, Spain won the World Cup this year

Nah,-tacos-are-safe-but-as-I-mentioned-elsewhere-the-next-nominations-will-be-my-Espe's-to-protect-bullfighting-remember-you-read-it-here-first regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266