Iberianature Forum

Tipples and tapas tips

• 4 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: December 06, 2010, 13:41 PM »
Greetings All,
Following up a suggestion of mine a year-and-a-bit back - that no-one seems to be interested in picking up - as is so often yer wont  :banghead: - re. Spanish cooking tips, I've just been told an interesting one (for me) the other day re. spuds:

Rather than cutting/chopping/slicing each spud all the way through down to the chopping board (Sp. anyone?), the trick to keeping 'em as tasty as possible is to cut only halfway-through and use the knife blade as a sort of lever to break the remainder open, thereby breaking the spud along its natural seams as it were.* I tried it yesterday on five large spuds - each of which I "broke" into 12 pieces - and only one went a bit off course on only one of its seams. The rest "broke" perfectly.

*as in pulling lettuce leaves apart rather than cutting 'em :dancing:

I'll leave up to all you Doubting Freds** out there to figure out whether there's any scientifically gaugeable advantage to this. :technodevil:

**The same ones who pooh-pooh my tip re. teaspoon in neck of cava bottle to keep the bubbles in

S'pose-it-works-just-as-well-with-zanahorias-and-the-like regs.,
Technopat

PS.
I was tempted to name this thread Tp's Tips but thought better of it  :dancing:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 13:45 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 13:57 PM »
Greetings All,
While on a racha ganadora (En. anyone?), and stop me if you've heard this one before:

A short, sharp golpe (En. anyone?) with your free hand on the hand holding the frying pan - after tipping in the beaten egg - will stop the tortilla sticking to the bottom of the sartén (En. anyone?).

Torn-between-my-love-of-those-well-prepared-but-elusive-scrambled-eggs-and-that-well-prepared-but-equally-elusive-tortilla regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Rosie

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 20:41 PM »
Do you then roast or boil the spuds? Or Brava those patatas?

Rosie

Offline glennie

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 21:02 PM »
For tortilla de patata, you cut them thin and fry them in the pan.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 21:45 PM »
Greetings Rosie,
Apart from Glennie's tortilla de patata and/or tortilla española recipe, spuds to be roasted or fried (as in British chips) should always be parboiled first. That, of course, includes bravas.
Peckish regs.,
Technopat