Surviving Patagonia

• 5 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Hello all

Ive not been around much but ive a good excuse, we have been in Patagonia on the icecap  :technodevil:

I hope you have all had a great Christmas  :santa_afro: and I wish you all a very happy and healthy new year.

Here is an exert and link to the report I have done on our trip, I hope you enjoy it :-

Two taxis arrive to take us to the trailhead at Rio Electrico. From the trailhead we walk a few hours through a forest to our camp at Los Troncos. You have to pay a small fee as you pass over private land, but on the plus side there is a small cabin where its your last chance to get food and drink. We did treat ourselves to one last bottle of wine, but I could not pursuade the others to one last pizza! Read more and View the full video

Maria
I also managed to see some great birds there this is a link about them

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 00:35 AM »
You lucky thing. Patagonia is high up our list...

One day...
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline glennie

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Heavens! What an amazing video.

I got to 11 min.30 and felt an irresistible urge to have a cup of very hot Bovril!

You must all be very fit... and brave!

Thanks for posting.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 13:52 PM »
Hi Nick and Glennie

2nd time in Patagonia, its an incredible place to visit I love it there. We have even been trying to work out how we could move there. Its very much like how I imagine Spain was a long time ago.

Glennie its funny you should say about the urge to have a very hot drink a few people have said the same thing whilst watching the video. Cant say I was very fit or brave, you just call on reserves and deal with what is being thrown at you and then you do the  :dancing: when you get back down to green trees, tweeting birds etc

We have all recovered from our snow blindness and frost nip but still have to be careful of our eyes in the snow, they still seem very sensitive.

Very strange things have happened since then, first time we went and had beautiful weather, perfect conditions, didnt get any clients for 4 years. Now after this nightmare of a trip we are inundated with clients wanting to come in 2012  :noidea: Whats that all about  :P

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Scary stuff! It's surprising how time can dull your memory so that "never again" becomes forgotten. Happens with me anyway, not that my experiences have quite matched that one. Glad you all came back in one piece!
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Hi Lisa

Thats very true about time dulling your memory, I guess its like child birth (not that ive tried that myself).