Iberianature Forum

Chilly peppers!

• 3 Replies

Offline Rosie

« on: January 28, 2011, 09:58 AM »
A while ago I was reading some posts about padron peppers and how you never seem to encounter a hot one nowadays.

I have just shared a bag of 32 with my husband and there was not a single hot one. They were delicious, but no tingle on the tongue to be had. (I roasted them with some olive oil and a sprinkle of salt until tender and just starting to get some charred bits.)

Firstly we guessed the small ones would be the hotties, but no. So then we tried the large ones - no joy. We worked our way through all the sizes until we had eaten the lot. So it must be true that size doesn't matter.

(The bag came from Lidl.)

Rosie

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 13:24 PM »
Hi Rosie
Apparently it is not size, it depends on whether they have been watered regularly, if not then they can be hot, so it is a bit of a lottery
Regards
Dave

Offline Rosie

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 18:05 PM »
So I guess most of the commercially grown ones will be mild then. Pity - its good fun watching someone get an unexpectedly hot one. And it sort of takes the point away from having them. I'd read somewhere that about 1 in 10 were hot but it was random and no-one knew why. Next time I have some I might try saving some seeds and growing my own.

Rosie

Simon

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 11:38 AM »
Hi Rosie and Dave,

It's great to have this lovely subject crop (ouch!) up again.

In the intervening months (years?!!!) I've been told that it's all down to the soil chemistry at Padrón and its environs. We passed through the town last year and the streets were thronged with vendors - should have stopped and bought some but were too busy looking for hidden Autovia entry! Undaunted, we subsequenty bought a bag of home grown at the market in Tomiño, which is quite a way away on the banks of the Miño river - notwisthstanding, these were mind bogglingly strong!

Happy snacking!

Regs

Simon