Iberianature Forum

Truffles

• 0 Replies

Offline caroig

• Casa del Agua
« on: February 17, 2011, 19:53 PM »
The local shepherd turned up a couple of days ago with a bag of about 300g of black truffles (Tuber melanosporum).  I have one in the fridge waiting to be cleaned and grated onto something appetising.  I know that they have an affinity with encinas (Quercus ilex) and have been told that most every large encina in the area has truffles associated with it.  The guy doesn't have a dog (a least not one that doesn't look like a mangy wolf) or pig and wasn't that forward with information, but he told me that first he looked for a fox scrape and if there are flies hovering over the spot then bingo, dig down a bit and you have a truffle.

I've looked under a few encinas and have seen small flies but I've yet to find a truffle. 

Has anyone any practical experience of this?  Does it really work?  Encina to truffle ratio?

I did ask around and there are quite a few locals with 'furtivo' truffles (there is an 'official' collector who pays his dues every 5 years) and the going rate is 300€/kg (at least for güiris)