Iberianature Forum

Wild/free Camping in Spain

• 2 Replies

Simon

« on: February 25, 2011, 06:54 AM »
Monrin' all,

This is a bit of an old issues but has cropped up again for me outside of this 'ere wonderful Forum.

Here's me quoting another people's advice last year on another topic:

"About the camping. This is an issue that seems to crop up every year and I've never seen a definitive solution, i.e. some law on the statute books! Meanwhile the best summary I've seen was made up by some adventurous bikers, like me  dancing, as follows:

"Camping outside campsites is legal but with certain restrictions. You're not allowed to camp in urban areas, areas prohibited for military or touristic reasons, or within 1km of an official campsite. For example, you can't camp on touristic beaches, but you can nearby if you're discreet. Camping for a short period is allowed almost anywhere in the countryside, but where you can, you should ask first.]Camping outside campsites is legal but with certain restrictions. You're not allowed to camp in urban areas, areas prohibited for military or touristic reasons, or within 1km of an official campsite. For example, you can't camp on touristic beaches, but you can nearby if you're discreet. Camping for a short period is allowed almost anywhere in the countryside, but where you can, you should ask first."

Most people I know say, 'Yes', you can camp anywhere that doesn't have a restriction as long as it's striclty just an overnight stop, and I wonder whether the urban myth of the machine gun toting Guardia Civil knocking up innocent travellers in the small hours is actually people misunderstanding a polite but firm reminder of this by the officers of the law."

I've been actively researching this of late, enlisting the help of the environment department of my local ajuntament, who seem animated to help - maybe a certain degree of job justification going on here - or am I being too cynical!  :technodevil: In the meantime I've found the regulations of the Parc Natural d'Alt Pirineu

"- L’acampada no és permesa. Només es pot pernoctar amb tenda de 20:00 a 8:00 h per sobre els 2.000 m, fora d’aquest horari no hi pot haver cap tenda muntada. En l’àmbit del Parc hi ha nombrosos càmpings, refugis, hotels i cases de turisme rural on podeu pernoctar."

That is to say, " Camping is not permted. It is only possible to spend the night (i.e. bivouac!) from 20.00 to 08.00 and at above 2,000 metres. Outside of these hours no tent should be erected. Within the park there are numerous camp sites, refuges, hotels and farmhouse accommodation to stay at."

This seems pretty much to bear out the above observation, bearing in mind that it is a reserva nacional, and I've also heard of the 2,000 metre bit before. Otherwise this seems like a very common sense ruling, which makes a nice change! Having been involved in a bit of this kind of law giving myself I know that there is a tendency to copy or model new sets of rule on other pre-existing one, so I'm even more certain there's a general principle somewhere, especially on specifics like the permitted times, which seem eminently sensible.

I really do waant to get to the bottom of conundrum once and for all, and distribute the advice far and wide! The urban myths do seem unduly authoritarian - in Norway the right to camp is universal, so I'm let to understand, even if folk's front gardens!

So if anyone knows more perhaps we can collaborate.

Regs

Simon
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:57 AM by Simon »

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:29 AM »
I´ll have to correct you a bit about the front gardens in Norway (+Sweden): you cannot camp closer than 150 m to a house or chalet - so it has to be a laaarge front garden!    :biggrin:
And it rules out most urban areas, I believe.

Hejsa
Petrea
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:31 AM by Petrea »
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Simon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 15:12 PM »
Hi Hejsa. thanks for the tip, I'll try not to pull a wheelie* when I arrive at someone`'s litte piece of paradise!

Regs

Simon
* I'm not like this at all!