Iberianature Forum

fossil identification please?

• 10 Replies

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« on: February 19, 2008, 16:14 PM »
Surprise! Its mine.......... anyone able to help me further than its a clam or bivalve molusc?.  Anyone found any fossils? SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 17:57 PM »
Hi SueMac
Yes I have a piece of shale, with ferns and flowers embedded, I will try and get a picture of it, It was literally on the verge while I was walking the hills around Torre, It is quite large but it was worth the extra weight in my Rucksack
Regards
Dave
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 19:29 PM by Dave »

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 20:58 PM »
Lovely  -  always worth the weight! I am surrounded by shale here and never find anything  but stubbed my toe on the molusc. However cant identify latin name  - too many and too complex. Shame really.
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 21:21 PM »
Hi all,

Well, the nearest thing I can find is the bivalves of the plagiostoma order... I would be surprised if there isn't a fossil Identification website somewhere on the World Wide Web...

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 21:45 PM »
Hi Clive
There is - hundreds of sites and lists. This is the most useful so far -
http://geology.about.com/library/bl/images/blbivalves.htm
 but I cant say for sure more than I have.
SueMac
SueMac

Offline judith

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 20:02 PM »
Hi Suemac,
despite his penchant for supermarkets, Peanut is really quite good on fossils, however, he couldn't identify yours for sure. Any chance you could photo' it from the side? He is interested in how the "turny bit" at the apex looks.
Regards Judith
P.S. He also is interested to know what sort of rock it was in, apparently it might help!

Simon

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 17:44 PM »
Hi SueMac, judth et al,

I once attended a lecture on fossil identification, which is a big thing here as our local 'conca' is of especial interest geologywise and there's not a single household that I know without its collecton of oddities - the most odd being the calcified remains of a wasps' nest.

Said expert launch his diatribe thus (which I won't forget in a hurry!), "¿Que es un fosil? Claro, que es los restes de un organismo. ¡Pero cuando no hay infomacion sobre donde se ha encontado estos restos, y por su puesto, eset 'fosil' no vale nada!"

Nuff said!

Simon

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Dear Judith
I am uploading two pictures, one of which does show rings faintly and a clearer one of the hinge. Perhaps Peanut can work some magic.
Also I picked up a fossil in the Negev desert - no idea what it is but it is lovely in its design and is one of my favourite posessions.
SueMac
SueMac

Simon

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 22:12 PM »
Hi SueMac,

They are really lovely specimens. I'll have to get to work on my pathetic collection I see. The 'star' turn is a coprolite - you can almost smell it!

Regs

Simon

Offline peanut

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 20:26 PM »
Fossils to me are like mushrooms- once Ive identified one its easy. Dont recognise this- looks like a Cretaceous bivalve- so no help there then Unfortunately we vastly reduced our book collection prior to moving to Extremadura and I lost the one with rock age distributions. Ive still got three big British Museum books, but they are all British fossils. Im looking foward to finding my first Spanish fossil!
(23 today in the shade!)
Good fossiling, Mike

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 08:51 AM »
Thanks for your interest and help Mike and Simon - I doubt if  that is good enough unfortunately. The one embedded in the bottom right also came from the Rojales area.
Out of interest on these matters there was a piece in the local 20Minutes which I read at the town hall yesterday about a major fossil find at Caravacas of a large number of prehistoric human remains in a burial pit.  It appears they had been buried with their dogs. I am endeavouring to following this up.
SueMac
SueMac