Iberianature Forum

Driving over golf courses

• 84 Replies

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2007, 07:23 AM »
O.K. and I agree with the Spanish translation, it's important to have Spanish signatures on it. Using the given (unchangeable) format of the petition site, I could have the English at the top and follow it with a Spanish translation.

Good job I set the limit to 5,000 on the San Glorio petition. Any thoughts anyone on the limit for this one?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Hola,

Just checking on your figure of daily water use.... "20 million seems a bit too much me thinks.....

All the text needs double and triple checking, Figures need to come from reliable sources and once you have it as you want it I will sticky it somewhere prominent so visitors to the forum will see it....

"As concerned environmentalists and native English-speakers now resident in Spain, the members of Iberianature forum would like to raise international awareness of the Spanish government’s unwillingness to halt the rampant construction of golf courses in a country completely unsuited to the sustainability of this activity. One 18-hole golf course needs 20,000,000 litres of water daily and over 30% of Spain is in immediate danger of desertification. 340 golf courses have aready been built and another...are planned.
Please join our protest and sign this petition to be sent to the Environment Ministers of both Spain and the EU."

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Greetings Lisa and Simon and All,

Reckon the header should announce the Spanish version right at the beginning - i.e.

Petition against construction of more gold courses - English/Español

Also reckon we can go for a higher setting on the petition counter - I know from experience that it'll be far easier for me to convince several ecologically-minded friends of mine to sign against gold courses than to protect bears  :'( - sad, but true.

Please don't misinterpret my words (I'm sure that given at least half the chance you would :technodevil:), but I reckon a petition to save an undefined number of bears in place most people have never even heard of would get fewer signatures than one for something much more patent such as the proliferation of gold courses - they're out there everywhere where everyone can but wonder at the amount of water being 'sprinkled' on 'em - whereas most people aren't too keen on the idea of meeting up with a bear in the wild - sort of prefering to see 'em at the zoo, or even at virtual nature centres/in tv documentaries! Don't forget that an amazingly high number of people don't actually like nature and wildlife  :o - but at least some of 'em can see the waste of water and damage to our ecosystem in general (or am I being overly optimistic here?)

Optimistic (temps. here in Madrid have gone down) regs. :dancing:
Technopat

Ps.
Warning! Given the over-use of stereotypes, the following comment could, under certain circumstances, be misinterpreted, but it is NOT meant to be sexist. I'm also sure that even while Dad/Hubby is out on the links, there'd probably be one or two spouses/offspring willing to sign the petition behind his back.  :technodevil:

Pps.
Just seen Clive's comment (we should put the figures as an example such as Olympic-size swimming pools/water for a town of xx inhabitants).

Ppps.
Even triple checking can miss gremlins, many classic anecdotes out there* - but that's the advantage of a concerted effort by nitpicky  :biggrin: iberianatureforumers!

* I know a professor of literature who had painstakingly (and obsessively) checked successive waves of proofs and galley proofs for his definitive text on whatever it was over and over again - and there it was: a glaring typo on the second line of the introduction by an eminence.
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007, 13:30 PM »
Hola,

Litres of irrigation water could also equate to average rainfall for a region. I think most people have never seen an Olympic sized swimming pool so the relation to one is not graphic enough...

Clive

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2007, 12:02 PM »
All taken on board although I'm not sure I agree about the bears - there are an awful lot of concerned wildlife activists out there but will check with you all re. the target amount of sig's. I think that there must also be a fair few environmentally concerned golfers too. Being mathematically challenged, I hadn't noticed the amount of 0's of litres so will run it all by you before posting the petition.
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2007, 09:47 AM »
Hola,

There is an update to the macro golf and leisure project in the Gójar and Dílar area Granada province..

http://www.theolivepress.es/2007/08/09/%e2%80%9cwe-don%e2%80%99t-want-a-millennium-dome%e2%80%9d/

Clive

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2007, 08:48 AM »
Los miembros del foro de Iberianature, ecologistas preocupados por la construcción massiva de campos de golf en España, quisieramos pedir que se paren de construir aún más urbanizaciones insostenibles por la falta de recursos naturales de agua que tiene este país.

Does that sound O.K?
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2007, 13:22 PM »
NO MORE GOLF COURSES IN SPAIN! is online.
I should be able to edit any changes if necessary.
Clive, can you make the post sticky somewhere before we start to spread the petition address around? Maybe we should all delete our posts here (well, some anyway) and perhaps we could just leave TP's reasons for signing the petition?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 18:56 PM by lisa »
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2007, 19:18 PM »
Hola,

I have created a new board solely for the discussion of the petition and the general subject of Golf courses and the related construction projects.

I suggest someone write an introduction post for the petition site and post it in this new board.

I would leave all of the original posts in this thread and not delete any. I like the way your ideas evolved......

Clive

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2007, 22:32 PM »
Thanks Clive. I propose TP writes an intro as it was his idea in the first place...but where is he??? Not swallowed up by the earthquake I hope  :o
Has anyone actually tried to sign the petition yet?
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2007, 22:47 PM »
Silly me, slight technical hitch on the publishing front.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/no-more-golf-courses-in-spain is now live.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Simon

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2007, 07:53 AM »
Hi Lisa et al,

I've just signed the petition. However I'm a bit worried about the first sentence of the text,

"As concerned environmentalists and native English-speakers now resident in Spain, the members of Iberianature forum would like to raise international awareness of the Spanish regional governments unwillingness to halt the rampant construction of golf courses in a country completely unsuited to the sustainability of this activity. Click on letter below or visit"

as this sems to exclude our non-resident members of the forum and those who are not natuive English speakers. It might also appear that the petition is only for Forum members, of who there are only 119!

Sorry to appear so not picking after your Herculean efforts of late - I also feel I've done nothig much of yet to contribute to this. So if you like I'll re-work the sentence during today to make it less ambiguous but without losing its meaning.

Regs.

Simon

Simon

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2007, 11:43 AM »
Hi Lisa and fellow shroomies (just three weeks to go after the recent rainfall!!!)

Sorry to appear presumptuous, but how about the following minor revision:

"As concerned environmentalists, mostly native English-speakers now resident in Spain, members of Iberianature forum would like to raise international awareness of the Spanish regional governments unwillingness to halt the rampant construction of golf courses in a country completely unsuited to the sustainability of this activity."

Just a few little words: I've changed 'and' resident . . . for a new claise beginning with; 'mostly' resident . . . and removed 'the' members of the . . . as this otherwise implies that all members are in the petrion, which is possibly, but not necessarily, true.

Sorry again for appearing so pernickity, I've had it done to me more than once (!!!) but I think it does help.

Another point, perhaps for Clive and/or Nick: I appear as a 'moderator' on the topic heading. What I have to do in this regard? Does this mean I have some discretionary power? Power at last! It's mine, all mine, I tell you! Ha ha!

Simon X

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2007, 12:25 PM »
Hola,

Hi Simon and all,

I had a mischievous thought as I was creating the new board for the golf petition and made the "Shroomy three" moderators of the board...

It just means that you have the power in that board to edit / delete other peoples posts and a few more options such as being able to sticky posts etc...You will see the extra options when you are in the board or one of the topics...

Clive

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2007, 01:38 AM »
Greetings All,
Sorry for having been AWOL - bloody "fiestas" at the urbanización in the village - not even the **** village ones proper - still got those to suffer. Not only did I miss the stuff going on 'ere, but also the "star shower" - completely slipped my mind, but wouldn't have missed it if I'd had access to the iberianatureforum - moral in there somewhere ...
Agree with Simon's shades of meaning (Sp. anyone?) and am now off to see what all the fuss is about ...
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2007, 02:19 AM »
Greetings All,
Just signed - one or two observations:
a) how 'bout deleting that reference to ecologistas in the Sp. version - makes some people's blood boil over here (as posted elswhere on the forum, but very late at night and not going to look for it) and it would be good to get as many Spaniards signing as poss.;
b) clicking on the first link to iberianature forum (or petitioners) took me to the petition web site rather than to the iberianature forum.
Way to go, folks  :dancing: !
Regs. Technopat

Ps. Can anyone come up with a computer simulation as to how long it should take to reach the halfway mark ...? Slow and steady wins the race / the race is not always to the swiftest, etc, etc., but it would be interesting to know if we're ahead of the game or whether we need to resort to other tactics (our dirty tricks team seems to be on holiday ...)

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2007, 02:26 AM »
Greetings All,
Was going to post this message on another, more relevant thread, but this one's as good as any other: what with the concatenation of circs., i.e. la lluvia de estrellas and the el terremoto AND Technopat not logging in (should be ON, but never mind) over that same period, the iberianatureforum petition re. Stop Construction of More Golf Courses is off to a great start!  :dancing:

Optimistic-and-Good-Omen regs.,
Technopat

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2007, 10:27 AM »
Morning All,
I've made a couple of changes to No More Golf Courses in Spain! What do you think? Please check my Spanish.

TP - links work O.K. for me  :noidea:
Clive, is there any chance we can have the intro in my next post at the head of page 1 as that's where people will go to first?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:02 AM by lisa »
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2007, 11:01 AM »
If you've arrived here from the petition "No more golf courses in Spain!" Welcome and please browse through this topic for information, some interesting links and our reasons for starting this petition. Thankyou in advance for signing.

Bienvenidos a ellos que han llegado aquí por la página de la petición "¡No más campos de golf en España!" Esperamos que encuentren información, unas enlaces interesantes y nuestras razones por haber empezado la petición. Gracias con antelación por haberla firmado.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:03 AM by lisa »
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Greetings Lisa, Simon and All,
How 'bout something like:

Quisiéramos darle la bienvenida a iberianature forum, y a su vez, las gracias de antemano por firmar la petición "¡No más campos de golf en España!" .
Esperamos que los temas y enlaces sean de su interés y que nuestros argumentos en contra de la construcción descontrolada e irracional de más campos de golf le sean de utilidad.
 :sign:

The petition page is down for the moment so I can't do the embedded link OK, done.

If you agree with my Spanish-version intro., pending a more in-depth summary over the next few days, could you link it to the petition site, please?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 13:42 PM by Technopat »