Iberianature Forum

Wildlife and language

• 7 Replies

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« on: May 20, 2007, 10:05 AM »
Following on from http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php?topic=322.0
I thought I'd share this with you, found while searching for barks of corzo and ciervo. Though not very comprehensive, interesting.

"Animals make much the same sounds around the world, but each language expresses them differently. English and French cows sound the same, but not in English and French! Explore the sounds of the world's languages through the sounds of the world's animals."

Confusingly you can then continue to choose a language.
http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/ballc/animals/
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Simon

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 07:08 AM »
Hello everybody,

A very brief response to Clive with his Andalucian dogs going, "Ow ow!"

Up here in Catalonia they go, "Gwow Gwow!"

I'll be off to do some vital research into ths and other quandries between about 1 and 3 this midday noon, so perhaps more then!

Simon

PS

The Catalan for Glug glug is Chroop chroop - at least as far as Vermut is concerned - Yzaguirre is the only brand to take, it's served on draught here!

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 20:49 PM »
dear All
Nothing to do with wildlife, but clocks in Spain go 'Tick Tack' as opposed to 'Tick Tock' according to my Spanish friends
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 20:57 PM »
Greetings Dave,
So they say, but without the "k" which doesn't figure much in Sp.
By the w., aren't you watching La2 - there's an interesting document. on water in Sp. - in this case el Duero.
regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Dear TP
Strange, I watched the program after I posted this, perhaps the clock on the forum is out or possibly it uses my clock, which is set to retirement time ( who cares what time it is)
Very good program, a river I know reasonably well.
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 10:42 AM »
Greetings Dave and All,
Yes, beautiful images of buitre leonardo in flight.
Time is relative - too good to be my own! :biggrin:
Had noticed that iberianatureforum was off by an hour, I think - UK summer time? GMT? UTC? (or whatever it's called these days - days when even Morse no longer exists  :speechless: - what is the world coming to? :-X)
Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 23:47 PM »
Hola,

Been waiting for someone to mention the clock.....

I'll sort it as soon as the list of essential work gets done......

At some point in time the iberianatureforum will synchronise... I think...

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 16:51 PM »
Greetings Clive,
Had been biding my time and keeping it up my sleeve for emergencies :technodevil: ... if that bishop's mitre Adminstrator's hat of yours were to muzzle in where it wasn't wanted - what price the time? An Oh Great and Wise Adminstrator who can't even tell the time, can't tell anyone else where to get off! Now that it's been aired, will have to stock up on another retort for emergencies  >:D.
Respectful regs.
Technopat