Iberianature Forum

Animals in roof??? HELP - STINK

• 4 Replies

Offline EilbheD

« on: October 15, 2011, 15:04 PM »
Hi, I'm in NW Spain. In last 3 days I've got an unwelcome visitor in my roof. It's a simple roof - beams and corrugated roof, no insulation and timber panelling on the inside ceiling. The building is old stone. It's my salon. I don't know what it is, at first I thought it was a cat stuck in there (maybe it is). Anyway, it is still there and now is pissing through the panelling onto my table - spraying my computer and other things - and my God, THE SMELL. Wooah....please please anyone any ideas....?????
It's horrid. Thank you

Offline Bob M

• Teflpedia
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Are you able to get into the roof space?

Offline EilbheD

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Hiya,

No, it is really small - it is the space between the 'rises' in the corrugation (literally only 3'x3' inches or so). The structural beams are exposed inside the room, so the roof is literally the panelling, then the air space between that and the tile (corrugated sheeting). I can't understand it unless the animal is trapped as it doesn't seem to have come out since it went in. It is urinating (thankfully) in the same spot, so I shifted the table so the mess goes onto the floor at least. I don't know whether such behaviour indicates a particular animal or not...?

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 22:57 PM »
This sounds very strange! With 3X3 inches, it cannot be a cat.  Bats?

How has the weather been?  Has it been raining? If a small animal died up there and the roof is leaking, then it may not be urine, but rather rain water contaminated by the remains of a rotten animal (thus then stink). A small animal trapped for a long time should not be able to continue urinating significantly, I think.  :noidea:

How horrible for you, whatever it is!  :banghead:

Hope you find a solution,
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline EilbheD

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 23:45 PM »
No, it's actually been very dry and very hot! I thought it might have died but I can hear it scratching around up there. When it went in first, I did hear what sounded like a cat miaowing (sp?). Today I raised up one of the end corrugated sheets as much as I could and held it in place with a stone to see if the critter might notice and try to get out that way and actually it seems to be moving down to that area. I went up onto the roof today and there is a larger space at the apex and I think that's where it might have entered - I had seen a sand coloured cat right up there that first night. I can't hear it at the moment, hopefully it's worked out it might now fit out the area I have left raised. I did have a large lizard living up on the roof but he is always in and out with ease, perhaps this animal went after him....it still smells but I made up a mixture of bicarb and vinegar and that eliminates the majority of the smell, for anyone who ever comes across something similar! I hope I don't have to raise the whole roof. :speechless: or I might be posting a question on how to do that!!!