Iberianature Forum

Hi From Mora la Nova

• 8 Replies

Offline cazntony

« on: June 24, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Hi

I have lived in the campo near Mora La Nova (Tarragona region) for one year.
Just recently i have started to notice the birds in the area.
I have just bought a pair of bins and am spending time trying to get used to them.
I seem to get shaky as soon as i pick them up.
I am sure it will get better.
Then i hope to start looking at and identifying some birds.
I am a complete novice but look forward to contributing if i can.

Caz

Offline quentin

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 21:29 PM »
Caz,

First of all this is a great place for advice if you get stuck with bird identification or any other type of animal or plant.

If your bins are more than 8 times magnification then it is no surprise thinks seem a bit shaky when you look through them. Whenever possible rest your elbows on a
convenient car or gate while looking through them. This helps a lot. Also keep looking at the bird (or whatever it is you are looking at) while you raise your bins to your
eyes. This way it is easier to find what it is you are trying to see.

One important thing is that you have a good field guide (I use Collins Bird Guide to Britain and Europe) and generally assume the bird you see is common. The more time you spend
familiarising yourself with the birds you know the easier it will be to recognise something out of the ordinary.

Good luck and I hope you will find your life enriched as the natural world reveals itself to you!

Andy

Offline cazntony

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 14:30 PM »
Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.
My bins are 8 x40. and i getting used to them more and more. 
Thank you for suggesting the book.  I have looked for books but there was so many to chose from and didn't know which was the best.
Look forward to contributing although i suspect it will be asking for  a lot of advice.

Caz

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 17:57 PM »
Hi Caz & Tony, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll have hours of fun researching your local bird population! You'll find a good selection of wildlife books to order online right here in the forum Bookshop
You have probably been too busy settling in to notice the birds etc, now that you have started looking you'll see that summer is a great time for insects too!
Kind regards,
Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 19:17 PM »
Hi Caz and Tony
Welcome to the Forum.  We are just down the road from you in the Els Ports Natural Park near Tortosa.  There is a fantastic choice of birdlife around here.  Enjoy it.
Tony

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 20:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum Caz  :)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Hi Caz
Welcome to the Forum, bins take a bit of getting used to, but persistence is the key
Regards
Dave

Offline cazntony

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 17:33 PM »
Thank you all for your kind welcomes and advice.
I have been a bit busy with all the summer visitors recently but about to settle down again soon.
Will be able to get back to looking the birds. 
Thanks again
Caz

Offline ladena

• Hay tantos caminos por andar...
    • River Ebro Apartments
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 23:20 PM »
Hi Caz from a near neighbour in Mora d'Ebre. Our area is starting to be well represented! I've just said hello to another newbie from Flix!

When I first used bins, I felt sea-sick and had to lie down! I'm sure you'll get used to them as I did!
Great birding area around here - diverse terrain and hence great bird diversity too. I've only been birding myself "properly" for 2 years. Yes you must get a Collins and there are some great online resources too (apart from this 'ere forum) to help with ID and bird sounds. See the other post from Tony in Flix for some other stuff you can get locally.
Dena
www.riverebroapartments.com
Accommodation in the Ebro Valley for walkers, birdwatchers, anglers and nature-lovers