Iberianature Forum

Should I get a G3 e-book?

• 2 Replies

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« on: July 08, 2012, 21:18 PM »
Mrs C would like an e-book which is good as I'd like to give her one!  But which one?  I'm tempted by a G3 version if it does all that it seems to promise .... as I understand it a G3 enabled e-book (whatever that means!) allows you not only download e-books but also check emails, weather forecasts etc.  As I understand it this service is free in the country where you buy the e-book, but there 'may be' (= definitely will be)charges when used elsewhere.  If so does anyone know what charges would be incurred by a British bought e-book when used in Spain?  Alternatively, if I buy an e-book in Spain (where presumably this service would be free) could I still access the free back catalogue of English language books and would I be able to download books gratis via my (UK) home wi-fi?  And if you don't know, who might!

John

Offline Bob M

• Teflpedia
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:21 PM »
My guess is that you're thinking about one of the black and white 3G Kindles.  I've got a wi fi version but I'm assuming that what it does on 3G will be the same as it does on wi fi - with the obvious difference that you can use the 3G anywhere.  (Well anywhere in any country in which Amazon has an agreement with a local 3G data provider.)

The purpose of the Amazon e reader is to read books and to buy stuff off Amazon.  It does these two functions exceptionally well.  With a bit of fiddling about you can also use it to get on the web but it's a pretty clumsy experience you'd really only want to use in an emergency.

Modern books are not supplied free by Amazon. You can get old out of copyright books from many sources.  If you have the technical skill and you are prepared to de a bit of investigating and you have no problem with the morality of the situation you can find prated copies of up-to-date books on the web.  You will probably need to reformat them so that your Kindle will recognise them.

There are a number of ways of getting books onto your kindle including simply connecting it to your Pc via an USB cable.  You can also buy them from Amazon and get them delivered wirelessly  or even upload a book you have obtained to Amazon and have them download it.

To be honest, to do what you want to do (use the internet, read emails etc) you would really need a tablet such as the Kindle Fire, an iPad or Galaxy tab.    

If all you want to do is read English books in Spain then I wouldn't bother with the extra cost of the 3G version. You'll only be connecting the device occasionally when you want to buy something (such as a book) from Amazon  and free wi-fi access is increasingly common.

Update:

While checking something else I found this:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-10/03/amazon-3g-browsing-kindle

which suggests that new Kndles will not have this facility anyway.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 16:42 PM by Bob M »

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 22:03 PM »
Thanks, that's very useful,

John