Iberianature Forum

One for Technopat

• 6 Replies

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« on: May 25, 2007, 16:24 PM »
Hi Technopat
A word I had almost forgotten existed, in fact more than a word, more a one letter sentence.
On yahoo today they referred to the L.O.G. Bank holiday weather as 'Dank'. sadly the best translation I can get is 'Humedo' which comes nowhere near, the dictionary description of unpleasantly or unwholesomely wet and dreary. Any Ideas. Anyone else please feel free to join in
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 19:31 PM »
Greetings Dave,
Lovely word, which describes the LOG perfickly.
My dictionary gives frí­o(a) y húmedo(a) as in weather, dundgeon, which is a tad more descriptive than yours.

However, don't forget that words mean different things to different people and evoke fond memories (i.e. Guinness, to those of us who remember it from the 70s ;D), or otherwise, depending on our own personal experience.

One word I'm trying to resuscitate is 'elevenses' as part of a campaign against the insidious spread of 'brunch', but it's a lost cause, I'm afraid :( .

Regs.
Technopat

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 14:20 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 10:29 AM »
Hi Technopat and All
Good idea about elevenses although to my mind Brunch is a different animal, more like lunch for stay-a-beds, whereas elevenses was more a mid morning pick-me-up usually a cup of coffee and a p-p-p-penguin for me, or at work when we had a canteen (now apparently it is a staff restaurant), a round of buttered toast.
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 14:38 PM »
Greetings Dave,
Sorry, missed this one!
Yes, I agree that the b-word is a totally different kettle of fish (Sp. anyone?) and I have been very critical of its use over the years. However, to my dismay, I have just turned up the following (the bold print is mine):

Brunch is a late morning meal between the typical time for breakfast and lunch. Brunch is typically served beginning in the 10:00 a.m. hour, and continuing through early afternoon. It does not have to occur between 9:00am and 11:45am. The term is a portmanteau of breakfast and lunch. While common in the United States, according to Punch magazine the term was introduced in Britain around 1896 by the Hunter's Weekly publication, then becoming student slang. Brunch can be served after a morning event or prior to an afternoon one, such as a wedding or sporting event.
Some restaurants and hotels serve brunch, especially on Sundays and holidays during the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Such brunches are often serve-yourself buffets, but menu-ordered meals may be available instead of, or with, the buffet. The meal usually involves standard breakfast foods such as eggs, pancakes, sausages, bacon, ham, fruits, pastries, and the like. However, it can include almost any other type of food served throughout the day. Buffets may have quiche, large roasts of meat or poultry, cold seafood like shrimp and smoked fish, salads, soups, vegetable dishes, many types of breadstuffs, and desserts of all sorts.
The dim sum brunch is a popular meal in Chinese restaurants world-wide. It consists of a wide variety of stuffed bao (buns), dumplings, and other savory or sweet food items which have been steamed, deep-fried, or baked.
more at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunch

Just shows one how one's prejudices can be unfounded.

Passing-ref.-only regs.,
Technopat

Ps
While still on the passing ref., I did once experience the dim sum (cold seafood (I think!) version) and only the fact that some 50-odd persons were staring at me while I did so, …
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 13:22 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 15:23 PM »
Forgot to clarify the 'dismay' bit - I was always using it as a criticism of Yankee imports into UK life. Passing ref. only. :-X
Regs.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 00:12 AM »
Great use of the Caesar's Mushroom avatar! I like it!  :clapping:
Regs.
Technopat (still on the lookout for an avatar after all these years!)

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 00:24 AM »
Cool! or as yer mum wouldn't say  8) or even  :dancing:!
(Doesn't she even like the one Clive put in there for Roxanne -  :roxysnail:?)
Regs.,
Technopat