Iberianature Forum

Help!

• 12 Replies

Offline quentin

« on: July 11, 2012, 21:44 PM »
Does anyone know of a dog refuge or is anyone out there happy to adopt a couple of terrier style dogs that have been dumped on our doorstep? They appear to be mother and pup.
Both very friendly and "cute."

We have tried a few false leads. So many places describe themselves as "refuges" but are not interested in taking on any more dogs. We are getting desperate as we are
living in rented accommodation and we are not supposed to keep dogs. We have already stretched the rules almost to breaking point and seriously compromised potential long term
rental options by by taking on one dog but these two definitely have to go. If we can't find a home for them then they will have to be put down.

I really do not want to do this and I can't decide if it is kinder in the long run to have them put to sleep or should I just dump them somewhere else so they can fend for themselves?  That way
they will probably starve to death or get run over.

Help!!

photos available and we will deliver...

Andy

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:22 AM »
Where are you Andy? (Sorry I can't remember!)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline quentin

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 13:06 PM »
Sorry Lisa. I realised this morning I hadn't indicated where I am. It's what comes of being distraught!

I'm just up the valley from Orgiva but would travel a fair distance - Granada, Nerja - to deliver these wretched beasts to a good home.

Andy

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 20:40 PM »
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 22:36 PM »
What a shame.  The problem I think (as you have already stated) is that refuges are far and few in Spain and they are full to bursting with rescued dogs.  It really is about time that the Spanish got into sterilising their animals instead of jst letting them breed and chucking out (or even worse) the results.  And, of course, if the dog is not capable of hunting then it does not return from the trip.  Our little dog was left at the side of the road for 3 months before I could stand passing it no longer when the weather got bad, and what a fantastic, thankful little friend she has turned out to be.

Offline StripeyCat

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 19:09 PM »
I blame the greedy vets for animals not being neutered. Here, to neuter a female cat it costs 185 Euros! Who has that kind of money these days?  :noidea: I told our vet it was expensive, he said it was cheap! I'm a member of an animal charity and so I took our three rescue cats to the vet who supports them and paid 81 Euros each for two cats and 122 for one who needed extra antibiotics and pain relief. My friend used to have vets from Belgium come over to neuter cats and dogs in their area. She said it's such a simple op, over in less than 10 minutes. It really shouldn't cost so much and then people's and animals lives would be so much better; less strays hanging around the bins, crossing the roads getting hit by cars... Spain as a whole would benefit greatly if neutering programmes could be introduced nation wide.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Hi Andy

Try these, they are in Baza but may help you. Im friends with one of the helpers there on facebook http://elcaprichobaza.jimdo.com/contacto/

Maria

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 12:56 PM »
There is also Lost Paws of the Alpujarras & Costa Tropical I cant find a number for them but they have an email address. lostpawsinspain@gmail.com

Also trying to get the number of a rescue that is on the way up to the ski centre above Granada.

Maria

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 17:16 PM »
Ok here we go, her name is Anita number is +34 646957176 I have been warned they are overstretched to. Good luck.

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 20:41 PM »
They really ought to have a national sterilisation day for cats and dogs like some other countries do.
Our local rescue centre called in vets from Holland to sterilise for a couple of years running but they cannot afford to do it now due to the crisis.

Offline StripeyCat

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 14:03 PM »
National, or regional neutering days would be most welcome and it would be good if vets could be encouraged to 'donate' some free operations for neutering each year, that would be a real help.

Offline quentin

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 16:40 PM »
I would just like to thank Maria for the number she supplied us with. Thankfully Paws for Thought on the south coast have found a place for the two dogs that decided to make a temporary home with us. They are going to their new home in Germany in August.

Our other rescued dog had an unexpected night on the Contraviesa hills last night after running off after a rabbit, partridge, goat or fox and refusing to return. After a terrible night (certainly for us) we drove back up this morning
and, much to our relief, found him near where we last saw him.

Does anyone know a good technique to encourage a dog to return to their "owner"? This particular dog arrived on our doorstep in a very bad condition and doesn't appear to have ever been able to enjoy being a puppy and is finding learning difficult.

Andy

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 19:03 PM »
Hi Andy

Glad you managed to get the two dogs rehomed great news.

How are you getting on with the other one, the puppy? I think you will find that having a pocket full of treats will encourage the dog to come back. Try keeping him/her on a lead for a while, letting her off for short periods, calling her back, giving her a treat and lots of fuss when she comes back and repeating but with longer time off the lead. Then eventually you should be able to stop most the treats. Just time and patience is the best and if in doubt keep her on a lead until she is in a secure place. But I guess she has to learn her name first.

Incidentally ive learned that if a dog goes missing whilst out and about, usually it will turn up near to where it last saw you, normally late at night or early morning when its quiet. Well worth knowing.

Hope your not melting too much where you are.

Maria