Iberianature Forum

Hi from Flix and Ullapool!

• 9 Replies

Offline tonaidh

• Flix, Tarragona
« on: August 01, 2012, 21:47 PM »
Hello everyone, my wife and I have been restoring a nice spot close to Flix in Tarragona for the last year or so. No plans to move out permanently yet but we visit often and now that the bulk of the work is done, we can start to appreciate the local area a bit more. We spend most of our time in Ullapool, Scottish highlands, which has its own superb scenery and wildlife- I have worked on a land based salmon farm for many years and am always close to the action, as well as the weather and the dreaded scottish midge! My employer is a keen birdwatcher, especially Raptors and always "expects a full report" when I return. I am also a keen photographer, both of the night sky and wildlife- I have been photographing the Aurora borealis from Ullapool for years, but the insects and reptiles in Catalonia are of great interest to me. As a pure courtesy, I get pictures of birds for my employer! I'm currently building an electronic camera trigger for capturing lightning photos from some of those amazing mediterranean storms.

Tony Rickwood

Offline ladena

• Hay tantos caminos por andar...
    • River Ebro Apartments
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 23:08 PM »
Hi Tony, Welcome to the forum, I'm sure it will be a valuable source of information for you.  We live not far away in Mora d'Ebre. Bought our place back in 2002 and we've lived out here just over  7 years. Great area for raptors: Black kite, short-toed eagle, bonelli's eagle and golden eagle around here to name a few. Griffon vulture and egyptian vulture and occasional black vulture in the nearby mountains. In fact I've seen Griffons a few times this year whilst at Sebes Nature Reserve in Flix.  Talking of Sebes - call in there to pick up the free posters on birds and all kinds of wildlife (including insects and reptiles). There is also a booklet with birding itineraries both inland around here and the Ebro Delta. They are like hens teeth to try and find at Tourism Info. If you can't find one I can let you have one as I try and keep a few on hand for our birding guests.
Looking forward to seeing some of your nature and lightening photography! we get some good electrical storms that's for sure!

Dena
www.riverebroapartments.com
Accommodation in the Ebro Valley for walkers, birdwatchers, anglers and nature-lovers

Offline tonaidh

• Flix, Tarragona
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:01 AM »
Hi Dena, since we've been pretty busy here and at Flix, we've not really had the chance to get out and about. We visit Mora quite often as we both go to all the local markets and bootfairs. Its a good focus for all the other small populations round about. We also have friends in Ginestar (we bought their house in Ullapool when they decided to move!) so we drive that stretch to Flix often. We always see black Kites around Garcia (Restaurant Pas de l'ase superb) and I'm sure I saw a short-toed near the Subirats restaurant (ok, we do like to eat out!). On our finca, we have had stork, bee eater, spotless starling, hoopoe, oriole, evidence of wild pigs and theres something across the river from us that uses the thermals. Not big but eagle like. Only seen one snake so far, a viper of some kind though a friend said they found a large grass snake as well. Usual collection of geckoes in the casita and also mantises large and dwarf which I personally think are the coolest creatures on the planet. Oh, and some kind of whitish fly that can get through the mozzie netting. I'm still covered in bites. Once I've got a few posts in, I'll upload some pictures. There's a lot of stuff out there I don't recognise, but I've located a few since joining this forum.

Tony

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:50 PM »
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum. I'm sure that between the members here, internet searching and of course checking out our book store you'll come to identify most of the creatures that linger enough for photos. Reptiles and birds have so much media coverage, its good to look out for the insects too...I'm also a mantis fan and will be interested to hear what species you get around your area,
all the best,
Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline tonaidh

• Flix, Tarragona
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 13:16 PM »
Thanks Sue, from what I've seen on this forum, we have cone-head mantis and european dwarf (I actually thought they were just young mantises- Amazing, just looked like a bit of dried grass clipping) I'll post what I've got and redouble my efforts next time I'm out there!

Tony

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 18:14 PM »
HI Tony
Welcome from another Tony in the Tarragona area.  We are located at Alfara de Carles in the Els Ports Natural Park, near Tortosa.
Don't ever sit on a mantis, I did once and I can tell you that they have a nasty bite.
Out of curiosity do you glow green at night ?
Tony

Offline tonaidh

• Flix, Tarragona
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 18:28 PM »
LOL, we're upriver from Asco, and on the meander, so most of what comes out of the Ercros plant hopefully diverts through the hydro under the town. My avatar was taken from the wall of the disco in Flix, jokingly named Springflix. Someone has a sense of humour here and are also Simpsons fans. Don't really know why we chose Flix, but the locals are really friendly and very patient with my pidgin spancatalenglish! Visited Tortosa last year on a sunday- bad move...

Tony

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 14:52 PM »
A slightly belated welcome Tony  :) Will have a look now for any of your photos.......
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline tonaidh

• Flix, Tarragona
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 15:32 PM »
A slightly belated welcome Tony  :) Will have a look now for any of your photos.......
[/quote
Thanks Lisa, Everything's new to me out in Catalonia, so I take quite a few photos. I was intending to come out again in a few weeks time, but I slipped a disc about a month ago and am still on doctor's orders! Might get out in October. Quite a contrast between living and working in one of the more remote areas in the Scottish highlands (chucking it down and blowing a gale as usual) and the area round Flix. Quite surprised just how cold it is in January though- almost as cold as here.] Your area looks very pretty too.

Offline tonaidh

• Flix, Tarragona
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 15:33 PM »
[/quote
Thanks Lisa, Everything's new to me out in Catalonia, so I take quite a few photos. I was intending to come out again in a few weeks time, but I slipped a disc about a month ago and am still on doctor's orders! Might get out in October. Quite a contrast between living and working in one of the more remote areas in the Scottish highlands (chucking it down and blowing a gale as usual) and the area round Flix. Quite surprised just how cold it is in January though- almost as cold as here.] Your area looks very pretty too.
Oh damn- fat finger syndrome!