Iberianature Forum

Bats in the Pyrenees

• 2 Replies

Offline CasaLila

« on: January 20, 2014, 23:47 PM »
I went to replace an old light that was attached to our outside wall and found a bat apparently sleeping. I got him to sit in a plastic box and partly covered it. I then made a new wooden backing for a new light and put everything back together leaving enough room for the bat to return underneath the wood. Seems he came back as his droppings appear regularly on the floor below where the light is situated so we are happy he was not permanently disturbed. We have also found that several of them congregate on the ledge of a high window in our house where the window is never opened as it is above an interior stairway out of reach. When the window was opened in the days before we knew about this, several appeared in the house and we had to very carefully get them out which was quite tough. They are not very big and there were also some really tiny ones. The picture shows the one that was behind the light. Maybe this is a Pipestrelle ? Perhaps someone can identify, but they are very sweet little creatures.
FRED

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 23:05 PM »
Hi Fred,

A good starting point if you want to do a bit of research is over at Nicks iberianature.com

http://www.iberianature.com/material/bats_spain.html
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline CasaLila

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Thanks for that - I had a look and can now confirm that this is a Pipistrellus mediterraneus or the common Pipistrelle. Very pretty with little ears, incredibly detailed fingers and soft brown fur.

FRED