Iberianature Forum

"In Spains Secret Wilderness" by Mike Tomkies (Jonathon Cape 1989)

• 8 Replies

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« on: October 05, 2007, 00:13 AM »
I have owned this book for quite a few years now and I love nosing through it.   It provides a very good snap shot of Wild Spain at a particular point in time by  a scottish naturalist who has lived in the wilds of Scotland. It  covers the wilds of north to south  and west to east. Excellent appendix written before the fall of the Berlin Wall which is a good starting point for many of the issues we discuss on the forum still with such immediacy ie what happened in the Picos to cause such a decline among the bear population. Agree with him or not  it is a damn good read, excellent pictures, and written from experience.

I hope he forgives me using the cover photo but it is all in a good cause , as he knows so intimately.
SueMac
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 10:37 AM by Wildside »
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline steveT

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 00:35 AM »
Dear SueMac,

I read the book and still have it and it was one of my ways in to Spanish wildlife along with an article about Spanish bears in the BBC Wildlife magazine, wriiten by an English woman studying them in the late 80's...........

steveT

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 08:31 AM »
I'm going to dig our copy out and re-read it!
steveT - don't suppose you've still got the article/magazine?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 09:04 AM »
By the way, it's Mike Tomkies with an "e"....and he's certainly got a lot to answer for in our house  :biggrin:
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 10:36 AM »
Hi Lisa, It's upstairs in the room we stayed in.. I read some of it and almost nicked it thinking you'd never notice.... :)

I corrected the name spelling in the original post in this topic.

Clive
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 10:38 AM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline steveT

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 21:29 PM »
Lisa,

Sorry no. The basics I remember. The woman took 1 month to get first sighting. Traps were a problem, with reports of a 3 legged bear. The outlook was bleak then. It actually got worse before, what can only be described as success story in the making happened.........I know we are not there yet........but it looked like the end.........try the BBC Wildlife  Mag they might have the article archived.

steveT

Offline steveT

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 21:52 PM »

Just remembered.......the following year I went to Cantabria and Asturias, on my first bear search....the bad news went on. In a paper there was an article about a bear, named El Rubio, which was shot by a hunter in the Province of Palencia........my Spanish was poor in those days, but I think that that was the last southerly bear in the province........but I think it was important in galvanising public opinion towards the plight of Spanish bears........the exact details here may not be correct..........but the shooting of El Rubio did make big news.

steveT

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 08:52 AM »
Found it Clive!

Thanks steveT. Silly me  :lighttbulb: It was probably my friend Teresa. There's an article list on iberianwildlife, possibly the one dated 1989? titled "The Littlest Grizzly". Will have words with her  >:D
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline steveT

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 22:39 PM »
Lisa,

Yes that was the name of the article! Wow that was 18 years ago!

steveT