Iberianature Forum

The worldwide Environmental Justice Atlas Interactive Map (Spain)

• 3 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: April 07, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Hi all

I have just come across this very interesting interactive map of environmental issues in Spain Right now the map pinpoints 35 conflicts around the country that are of concern. Issues such as the mega-infrastructure projects of the Ciudad Real airport and Ports, to utilities projects such as those over high tension electricity lines, incinerators and conflicts driven by tourism and its related infrastructure.

The problems over tourism and recreation projects are for me very interesting especially in Andalucia (as thats where I am located.) Two projects in particular, the Valdevaqueros hotel and housing project in Tarifa and the proposed government sell off of the enormous Almoraima estate whose land connects to the stunning natural park of Alcornocales (The largest cork forest in the world) Other problems are a waste incineration plant in Cordoba and in Huelva, the industrial chemical processing plant.

The map has a lot of backround information about these projects and the articles are well researched and written. The map is not restricted to Spain allowing users to browse the world’s environmental conflicts, by country, commodity, company involved and type of conflict.

Here is the Spanish map link
http://www.ejatlas.org/country/spain
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:16 AM by Clive »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 17:13 PM »
Marvellous resource and uses OpenStreetMap which is equally marvellous.

pault
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics

Offline Waste-Dweller

• ¡Destruida!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 23:23 PM »
It's a marvelous initiative and a marvelous resource; sadly, I can never any "expats" interested enough even to sign a petition, unless it's about tax, dogs or bulls -  harrumph.  Some people are interested, though.. .. a few.  :(

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 20:48 PM »
Note: potentially not universally popular opinion warning.

Ex-pat is a difficult term, I think you highlight one of its issues. It's a term that by definition looks back to "home". It's also got a set of cultural assumptions that I find difficult. If you consider yourself an immigrant (I do), I think it says more clearly where you consider yourself to be. I think that has some effect on what petitions may or may not get signed.
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics