• 1 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: May 20, 2014, 22:32 PM »
Hi all,

Sue wrote an article about the Spanish fir tree a while back over at Wildside Holidays.
http://wildsideholidays.com/wildlife-information-pages/16-plants/trees/24-abies-pinsapo-the-spanish-fir.html

This tree is what made the Grazalema area designated a Natural park some 30 odd years ago and is endemic to the area. yesterday I talked for a while to someone who mentioned that there is a Spanish fir tree at kew gardens in the uk and that got me thinking...

Any members of the forum have a Pinsapo in their garden or in a local botanic garden or maybe in a country house estate somewhere?

I'd like to get a list together of specimens that are out of their range..

Clive

P.S actually this could be fun and informative... If you have an "endemic" plant or animal in your area post a new topic about it and we can all join in and say if we also have them in our necks of the woods...
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline steveT

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 19:28 PM »
Hi

The Rioja wine El Pinsapo can't have anything to do with the tree ..... can it? You can't make wine barrels from pine ( unless you want retzina ).....I guess its a surname?

This link may be of interest - it wouldn't paste as a link..... found it when looking up the wine.....

[PDF]
RAZAS Y VARIEDADES DE ABIES PINSAPO, BOISS

Steve