Iberianature Forum

An interesting snake id conundrum

• 6 Replies

Offline quentin

« on: June 16, 2014, 14:25 PM »
I photographed the snake in the attached pictures this morning, 16 June, near Orgiva in the Alpujarras, Andalucia, It was motionless by the side of a track with it's head raised. I would estimate it to be about 30 to 40cm long. It's markings are quite confusing to me as it seems to have a head like a Horseshoe whip snake but it's body is more like a type of smooth snake. My latest guess is a juvenile Montpellier. Although obliging enough to stay still for 20 seconds while I hurriedly removed my lens cap and remembered how to use the on/off switch on my camera, it disappeared into thin air while I briefly took my eyes off it to check the settings. I hadn't even lowered the camera from my eyes. Gone. Still, musn't grumble. Any ideas?

Andy

Offline steveT

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 22:03 PM »
Hi Quinten

I'd go for a Montpellier too (culebra bastarda)...... I know what you mean but I think its because its a juvenile.

As they get older the ridge over the eye seems to extend over the eye and the neck seems to thicken in relation to the head. With their juvenile colouration they look very different to an adult .............. have a look at range of photos.

steveT

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 23:13 PM »
Yes, I'd agree with a young Montpellier's going by the white line just in front of its eye!
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline quentin

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 07:32 AM »
Thank you both. I've heard about the white mark in front of the eye but it isn't mentioned in either of my books. I've attached another photo - I thought I had already done so!

Andy

Offline StripeyCat

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 21:38 PM »
 sign

Offline Mark H

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Looks like a typical Montpellier to me.

Offline quentin

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 19:42 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation Mark.

Andy