Iberianature Forum

Bio Massive!

• 7 Replies

Offline Waste-Dweller

• ¡Destruida!
« on: September 29, 2014, 14:45 PM »
In the south of France, a horrendous project: E.On, one of Europe’s largest power generating companies, wants to burn almost a million tons of wood annually in a converted coal power plant in Gardanne, near Marseille. Half the wood will be imported from North America, threatening ancient forests from Canada to the southern United States. The remainder is to come from southern France, which will mean over-exploitation of forests, clearcuts and a dramatic loss of biodiversity in the Haute-Provence /Alpes du Sud and Cévennes regions that have been designated the power plant's “priority supply zones”. Wood is not a green fuel: per unit of energy, burning wood releases even more carbon than coal.

The coal power plant, which would otherwise have to be shut down under EU regulations, has been running at a fraction of its capacity for some time. Following the conversion, more coal would be mixed with wood than the plant has burned in recent years.

A permit would never have been granted for such a large and inefficient power plant under French law, yet E.On managed to obtain an exemption – allowing them to draw no less than 1.4 billion euros in subsidies over 20 years.

Numerous local authorities, community groups and environmental organizations have united against E.On’s plans and are fighting to protect their region’s forests and the health of local people in an already heavily polluted town. Please support them by signing our petition to E.On and to the French government.
https://www.rainforest-rescue.org/mailalert/959/e-on-threatens-north-american-and-french-forests

https://www.sauvonslaforet.org/petitions/959/e-on-veut-bruler-les-forets-francaises-a-gardanne

I'm just submitting it to the Environmental Justice Map.

The Cévennes is the most divinely magicl area of France, by the way. Look in Google Images.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 22:36 PM »
Oh my goodness........ It just beggars belief....

Post the link when you get it on the climate map please.

Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Waste-Dweller

• ¡Destruida!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:58 AM »
I will indeed, if I ever manage to finsih it. (So ill, so tired, in such a mess, so very, very much I should do, should already have done) but it'll be as a failed protest. When I potsed the l ink, it was already a week too late to protest and, anyway, it had all been decided in secret, presumably with multiple pay-offs of various kinds on various levels, so that by the time anyone who cares found out, work was way in progress and there's no going back. Worst of all, very few people do care - caring at all, being aware, being awake, being honest or responsible, has been almost stamped out, along with any efforst at protesting or even just quietly lliving cleanly. We're all guilty, only some of us (very few) agonise about it, while completely failng to do anything about it.
So the Cévennes will be ruined and old forests smashed and dragged here screaming, so that the rich can have electric central heating.

Here is a young botanist and ecologist, Rémi Fraisse, an idealist at hiis first demonstration, aginst the propsoed moster-dam at Sivens: http://www.liberation.fr/societe/2014/10/28/remi-fraisse-un-botaniste-egare_1131485
Here is an article worth readingf:
Conflit de pouvoirs: pour Rémi Fraisse http://blogs.mediapart.fr/blog/arie-alimi/021114/conflit-de-pouvoirs-pour-remi-fraisse
Rémi Fraisse, vistime d'une guerre de civilisation: http://www.lemonde.fr/idees/article/2014/11/04/remi-fraisse-victime-d-une-guerre-de-civilisation_4517856_3232.html

Offline Waste-Dweller

• ¡Destruida!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Of course there were police infiltartors.

Offline Waste-Dweller

• ¡Destruida!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Sorry, I probably should have translated the articles, but everyone's used to using Google Translate or Babelfish, so I didn't bother.
I really must look for some cheering news to write about, or ever yone will hate me.  :'(  Trouble is, it's only too easy to find bad, sad news nowadays and very difficult to find good (and I can't distract myself from it all by going for a long walk in the sierra, 'cos my feetsies hurt too much. As my son says, "This is the joy of living in the apocalypse," and how sad that he first said it when he was only nineteen. Still, I promise to try - my next post must be something pleasing, or else I must shut up. I'll try to take a photo of José and his donkey and tell you about him - that's cheerful.  :)  He used to be a smuggler!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:51 PM by Waste-Dweller »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Yes, new topic about Jose and his donkey....

Its not all depressing news, there are some fantastic projects and people aout there working for the benefit of all....

Including The Iberia Nature Forum! :)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 14:07 PM »
Ah, a smuggler story, sounds just great!  :clapping:  Pleeease!   :angel:
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Waste-Dweller

• ¡Destruida!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Oh my goodness........ It just beggars belief....
It does.
Post the link when you get it on the climate map please.
I'm still struggling with the damn thing. Why can't governments and similar institutopns ever get a working website made for them? Amazon can, IberiaNature can, but no government can.