Iberianature Forum

Monarch Butterfly

• 11 Replies

Offline quentin

« on: November 02, 2014, 17:16 PM »
Myself and a few friends saw a butterfly today (2 November 2014) at Charca de Suarez, a wonderful small nature reserve near Motril, Andalucia. To me it looked like a Monarch but I'm not sure if there is any other species that I may be mistaking it for. Having done some internet research it seems there is a breeding population somewhere in Southern Spain.

So, could anyone tell me if there is a butterfly here in Andalucia that I may have mistaken the one we saw today with?
Also, where is the breeding population?

Thanks very much,

Andy

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 18:53 PM »
Can you post a picture?

I have seen monarchs in the ebro delta, Valencia and Doñana
I remember years ago when I worked as a gardener on the Costa del Sol monarch caterpillars on asclepia plants I bought in garden centres.....

They are fairly unmistakeable
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline quentin

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Unfortunately the butterfly was moving at great speed so we were unable to photograph it. I have seen Monarchs in Cornwall but not for many years. I've also seen Plain Tigers and they look similar. I wondered if similar species are seen in Spain.

Andy

Offline GaryM

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 22:39 PM »
Hi Andy
I have been to la charka many times and would suggest that it is highly likely that the butterfly was a monarch as i have seen them in the area around that reserve.  I have also seen Plain tigers which are in the same family group.   If you go into Almunejar to the ruins of the Roman fish pools and the tree garden you will often come across several monarchs flitting around....you can get quite close to them whilst they sip necter from flowers..if your lucky.   Motril to almunejar is not too far away for a butterfly that can migrate thousands of miles.  I have also observed them flying on our land near to torviscon.  Hope this helps
Regards GaryM

Offline quentin

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 09:59 AM »
Thanks very much for that Gary. I'll take a trip to Almunejar before too long but this is probably not the best time of the year for seeing butterflies. As Monarchs seem to be taking a hold in Southern Spain I can't help but wonder about some of the sightings in the UK. Frequently though they coincide with American birds that have been blown off course so presumably they are also migrants from the States.

Incidentally we are in the Orgiva / Lanjaron area so will keep a sharp eye out for Monarchs here.

Andy

ps I hope you are enjoying the rain!

Offline GaryM

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 21:27 PM »
Hi Andy
As you seem to be interested in butterflies I wondered if you had been to see the Desert Orange Tip (Colotis evagore) butterflies which can be common along the routas de las mineras as you go over the bridge towards motril.  Again if you are lucky they might still be on the wing.  But I find that September is the best month for them.  Good luck with that.
regards Gary

Offline quentin

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 19:30 PM »
It's odd that you mention the Desert Orange Tip as I've never heard of it but about two weeks ago I saw an Orange Tip of some sort between Rules Dam and Lanjaron. It didn't look "right" but I'm pretty hopeless with Butterflies (I blame not having a good identification guide) and it was a brief view.  Also this doesn't seem to be the normal time of year for Orange Tips and this is the first I have seen for months.

Andy

Offline GaryM

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Yea it sounds about right. 
The first time I saw one I was about to start a wildlife walk for some people from England.  None of my butterfly guides had them.  I thought I had discovered a new species for Spain!  Like you say especially as they fly at a different time of year to the other European Orange tips.  After finding it later on the web it suggests they are a relatively new Spanish colonist.  Which is nice anyway.
After all that I bought the latest Collins butterfly guide and that new guide I would strongly recommend. It is brilliant.      If you are interested ISBN:978 0 00 724234 4.  Not sure but  perhaps Clive would like for you to get it from Amazon through Iberia nature
Regards Gary

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 15:59 PM »
Got my first Monarch last week in Caleta de Velez, near the golf court.  :clapping:   :dancing:
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 21:44 PM »
What is the plant it is feeding on Petrea?
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 22:26 PM »
A Brasilian sky bush, Duranta Erecta. It enjoyed it for quite some time. Had time to watch, then go for the camera, and still time to look for different angles for several photos! A very cooperative animal!
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Such beautiful butterflies. Lucky you getting a shot of it.

I'm pretty certain I had one feeding on a buddleia plant last year, went to get the camera, but it had gone by the time i got back  :P Hoping one passes by again this year. Not something we see this far up normally here.