Iberianature Forum

Adverts (hunting)

• 8 Replies

Offline davejsy

« on: November 12, 2014, 22:28 PM »
Clive there is a hunting website advertisement at the top of this page? Added by Iberiannature Forum?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:42 PM »
Hi there,

There are Google adverts below the second post of every topic and at the bottom of the forum on all pages....  I have filtered the ad system as much as possible in order to keep the ads relevant to the topics on the forum. It is highly possible that a company providing hunting holidays and trips would show on the ads...

I'm not pro hunting but I do see it as part of how our landscape and its inhabitants have been shaped over a very long time.

I am totally against illegal hunting and indiscriminate killing and have doubts on how legal hunting is controlled....But, that said, hunting does have a place in our ecosystems, it always has and it always will I think.

There are some excellent topics about this in the hunting board with some very intelligent arguments both for and against.

This one is quite good.
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/hunting/hunting-for-tore/

Back to the advert you saw... If you see it again, click on it and send me the link to the website you land on... If it as at all dodgy looking I will have try to remove it from the ad network by reporting it to Google etc....

Best regards
Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline davejsy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 20:11 PM »
I agree Clive that there is a place for hunting, and I am certainly not against the person who kills an animal to then eat it. If that person has respect for the animal, and the environment it inhabits. This is far more preferable to eating factory farmed animals which has many moral pitfalls. I enjoy eating boar and venison when in Spain, and would much rather eat an animal I know to have lived its life as nature intended.

What I disagree with, and is the case with pretty much all hunting websites, is the desire to kill the biggest and best animals. This depletes these areas of the strongest animals, and eventually leads to a sick population of only the smallest and weakest animals to breed, thus producing an ever decreasing unhealthy population of animals. Most of these people do this for the sole reason of having a trophy photo, or a big set of antlers to stick on their wall to show off to their mates. Taking out the biggest most majestic animals can in no way shape or form be classed as good wildlife management - infact it is the polar opposite of what nature intended.

In many of these area's especially in Spain, the wolves then get the blame for depleting these game herds, and then the wolves pay the ultimate price for this. It's an incomprehensible  travesty for which there seems no end in sight until people understand the true damage of trophy hunting. Wolves keep the herds healthy, and allow the biggest strongest animals to survive and in turn breed bigger and stronger animals. It's no surprise that places which have stable density's of wolves are also some of the most prized trophy hunting grounds in Spain, but even in these places ignorance still rules when it comes to the wolves.

So no I have no problem with people hunting to eat, or people hunting to make a living in an ethical manner. But yes I have a massive problem with trophy hunting done by the site I mentioned and that of similar outfits.

Here is the link to the advert as it is now showing on this page! http://cazaygestion.com/hunting-in-spain/?gclid=COyPnaqk-MECFfMZtAodqUAAkg

Offline Waste-Dweller

• ¡Destruida!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 21:24 PM »
This is worse: Helicopter Hog Hunt Slow Mo Kill Shots - It's a Wonderful World  http://youtu.be/sx66ys4JG5o especially the choice of music.
And more: HeliHunter - The Best Helicopter Hog Hunting Video Ever!!!!!!   http://youtu.be/89UliEiQQyU
The comments are just as depressing.

Incidentally, I'm an animal rights activist and have been vegetarian and mostly vegan for 45 years, but am not an idiot as described by Tore and am not against hunting per se (though i do hate it personally) nor do i think that denigrating animal righst activists or "tree-huggers" is a convincing way to argue in favouir of hunting, which is something that, nowadays in the "first world," people do because they enjoy it, whatever arguments they may bring in support.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Hi all, excellent comments as usual .....

Firstly, The website in question being shown by Google ads (Although I as yet haven't seen it). I did a bit of investigation and decided to block it from showing on this forum... Not because I disagree with hunting (because I don't) but because it advertises trips away from Spain (out of my knowledge area) and thus I don't know anything about the ethics of hunting companies in Spain shooting wolves in Canada or big game in Africa...

It was a big decision for me to put ads on this forum that I have run and maintained free for all since 2009... To be honest they don't earn much, maybe 4 or 5 euros a month but that does help me with server costs... I hope that they don't bother too many people and most of the ads I see are relevant to Spain with tour companies, nature guides, books, hotels being the most active ads..... Of course Google puts up ads relevant to YOUR previous browsing so sometimes the ads may be in line with that and not the overall topic of this forum.... I, as co-owner of this website and manager of the google ads am not allowed to click on any ads or Google would ban me from their system....

Davejsy
I agree with you to a point however, not all hunting is about getting the biggest and best. I was in Cazorla a couple of weeks ago and met a friend of a friend who is a forest guard... He goes out with hunters and it's him that selects the animal to be shot... Very often they shoot a deer with a broken leg or an older animal that has a "trophy" but is no longer viable in the wild herd. They also control the wild boar population (which needs controlling for various reasons....

When I lived on a big farm down here in Estepona the wild boar population was out of control (There have never been wolves in this area far south of the Guadalquivir).. Damaged crops running into thousands of euros just on our land and a strange law that only let hunters shoot on the first thusday in the month DURING DAYLIGHT hours.... These animals should have been controlled to sustainable numbers and the meat sold for food to local businesses... However, another strange law down there was that all pigs shot were to be left to rot where died....

Waste Dweller
Your points I also agree with from your point of view but many of us are not Vegan... I am a meat eater and I also like to eat venison, wild boar etc... I would prefer to eat meat from a deer killed by a hunter in the woods nearby where I live than a mass produced piece of pork from a factory farm.... I buy meat from the butcher in my village and hope that most of it is sourced as locally as possible (I have to take his word to some extent)

Either way this is a very interesting subject. Thankyou!  sign

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:34 AM by Clive »

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Ps, thanks for bringing this subject up and if anyone sees an advert this is not to their liking I will block it in a couple of clicks!
Clive

Offline Waste-Dweller

• ¡Destruida!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 17:45 PM »
Waste Dweller
Your points I also agree with from your point of view but many of us are not Vegan... I am a meat eater and I also like to eat venison, wild boar etc... I would prefer to eat meat from a deer killed by a hunter in the woods nearby where I live than a mass produced piece of pork from a factory farm.... I buy meat from the butcher in my village and hope that most of it is sourced as locally as possible (I have to take his word to some extent)
But that's exactly what I'm saying, or trying to. I mean that, despite being a longterm vegetarian, nearly-vegan animal rights activist and an enthusiastic cuddler of and talker to trees, I'm not anti-hunting per se, that despite the veggieness, hugginess and animal-rights activism, I'd never try to persuade anyone else not to eat meat, that despite the veg-hug-rights I'm not the sort of idot who releases mink and that, if someone wants to argue in favour of hunting, they should do so, rather than introducing irrelevant, unfair and untrue disparagement of animal rights activists. Even if we were all idiots, it wouldn't be a valid argument in favour of hunting, in fact it has no relevance whatsoever and is only a distraction and a tactic. If I want to argue in support of animals, I don't do it by slagging off hunters, and if I want to convince people to support hunting I don't do it by insulting the people who stand up for the helpless and speak for the voiceless.

If i absoluetly had to eat dead flesh, of course I'd rather it were wild-caught, or killed by a marksman in the field, like farmed venison. Be better to eat people, though, saving the pollution of the tanatoria,  and rats, 'cos there are so many. 

I hunted once in England when I was eleven years old, on my 11hh pony among the great horses - gosh it was thrilling, the pounding hooves, the steaming, sweating horses, flying mud, all thoughts vanished, just pure physical challenge and thrill.. ..till hounds checked and while they were casting about for the scent and i was on my muddy little pony, steming and panting, whom did I see but Mr. Fox, who emerged quite cooly from the very midst of the pack, trotted towards me and.. I looked at him, he looked at me, we understood each other, he trotted on and I, instead of raising my hat to attract the attention of hunt staff and pointing in the direction he'd taken (the idea that you shout "View haloo" is nonsense) kept quiet, turned my pony and rode home alone.

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 19:28 PM »
It seems that you can do something about the ads yourself! There is a little icon almost at the bottom of the page, left of a bross "X". Then you can setup your choices - or not!  :)  It probably only works if you have got a google account!  :biggrin:

saludos
Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 22:18 PM »
Yes Petrea you are right... A user can select the ads that they don't want to see. (you don't need a google account for this)... When ads are served on a website you visit, a small piece of code "cookie" is placed on your computer.... Most users don't select, some do.

The important thing to remember is that your computer remembers the things you have searched for via Google and when you visit a new website the adverts shown are personal to your own browsing habits.... If you have looked recently at an ad on a website for holidays in Greece then the next site you look at will probably show adverts about holidays in Greece..... If you looked for singles dating previously then guess what you get...

If you searched for hunting in Spain in Google then thats what you get regardless (sometimes) of the content of the website....