8 captive wolves culled at Cabárceno

• 4 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:51 AM »
Interesting news that people are up in arms about the 8 wolves shot last month at the Cabárceno natural park/zoo...

It's a difficult decision but if you can't let the wolves out into the wild and the captive population is too big for it's confines then it seems to me the only option is culling...

Full news in Spanish here...

http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/cantabria/201412/10/marcano-denuncia-matanza-tiros-20141210130614.html
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline davejsy

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 11:15 AM »
I think the question would be Clive, why have too many wolves in captivity in the first place (surely you wouldn't let them breed if you have too many). To suddenly have to kill 8 wolves shows that there are people in charge that don't know what they are doing.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Absolutely davejsy..... I recall a similar situation with big cats in zoos.... bred them like cats for people to gawp at then culled them when they were too big.... Unfortunately for captive animals it's the baby ones that draw the crowds....

The solution is as you say, don't let them breed in the first place...
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 14:44 PM »
Maybe the question is not that simple after all. Nowadays the zoos are doing a large effort to make the surroundings as natural as possible for the animals (the horrible old cages are fortunately disappearing!). So what they claim is that the breeding behaviour as well as parental care of young ones is important for the animals, and for that reason they let them breed.     :noidea:
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 11:39 AM »
If these animals are never going to be returned to the wild then why let them breed? It's like saying a female dog has to have a litter of pups before she can be spayed, it's natural ..... err no it's not. Stop breeding unwanted animals.