A genet and ??? - SOLVED Beech / Stone Marten

• 4 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Hi

I've had my camera trap out in my campo and for the first time have captured a Genet. Can anyone tell me what the second animal is that climbs the tree. My Spanish friend told me it was a Weasel (comadreja), but from the pictures I've seen, to me, the tail looks very wrong for a weasel.

https://youtu.be/wst5NRM7zgM

Many thanks.
Maria

sign
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 19:05 PM by Maria »

Offline Juan-P

• Saved this serin!
    • Knowall's Awesome Almería
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 13:40 PM »
I can't help with the ID, but thanks for posting the video. I assume the bird sounds are nightingales.

Offline quentin

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 16:49 PM »
Wow! It's all happening in Lanjaron!. The second animal looks like a pine or beech marten and is definitely not a weasel. Amazing. I can't comment on the sound as I couldn't hear it due to my computer playing silly buggers.

Andy

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 17:06 PM »
Hi, your second creature is a stone marten ..... fantastic to see and what a great idea to set up the camera trap ... :)
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/29672/0
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 19:01 PM »
Wow Juan P, do you know in the year or so that I've had the camera trap I had forgotten that it had sound  :speechless: I have to plug headphones into my computer to get any sound so I am used to not hearing noise from it  :P But to answer your question yes they are Nightingales singing away.

I have since gone back through other videos of Mr Juan Jabali (as I have affectionately called him) and you can hear frogs, nightingales, cicadas and him snuffling through the soil. Great stuff. I only put his videos on youtube because some of the locals saw a picture of him and decided they wanted to hunt him because he was a big lad, but he has safe passage on my land  :)

Thank you both Andy and Clive for the ID. I love my camera trap I love to watch the wildlife in the garden without them being disturbed. I have some footage of birds taking a bath as the land is getting watered, but now I know I have sound it will be even more exciting. I did buy it originally to leave up in the Sierra Nevada somewhere or even find the tree my Booted Eagle was nesting in, but so many people wander around and I would hate for them to find it and steal it. I have also tried to capture the Eagle Owl who comes and sits on our tv aerial but I need something more substantial to hold the camera so high up and stop it swaying in the wind  ???

Anyway thanks again all.