• 8 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: June 10, 2007, 08:21 AM »
Hola,

I have always considered the human race to be in the privileged position of being the guardians of our world and am often dismayed at the wanton destruction of the very thing that supplies the necessary things in order for us to exist.

So the theory of Deep Ecology interests me not just because someone has written down some very in depth thoughts but also because it seems to describe some of the ways I try to work with nature rather than against it...

The full article at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_ecology explains it very well and below is an extract from that article...

"Proponents of deep ecology believe that the world does not exist as a resource to be freely exploited by humans. The ethics of deep ecology holds that a whole system is superior to any of its parts. They offer an eight-tier platform to elucidate their claims:[8]

1. The well-being and flourishing of human and nonhuman life on Earth have value in themselves (synonyms: intrinsic value, inherent value). These values are independent of the usefulness of the nonhuman world for human purposes.

2. Richness and diversity of life forms contribute to the realization of these values and are also values in themselves.

3. Humans have no right to reduce this richness and diversity except to satisfy vital human needs.

4. The flourishing of human life and cultures is compatible with a substantial decrease of the human population. The flourishing of nonhuman life requires such a decrease.

5. Present human interference with the nonhuman world is excessive, and the situation is rapidly worsening.

6. Policies must therefore be changed. These policies affect basic economic, technological, and ideological structures. The resulting state of affairs will be deeply different from the present.

7. The ideological change is mainly that of appreciating life quality (dwelling in situations of inherent value) rather than adhering to an increasingly higher standard of living. There will be a profound awareness of the difference between big and great.

8. Those who subscribe to the foregoing points have an obligation directly or indirectly to try to implement the necessary changes."

Clive
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 08:26 AM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 17:19 PM »
Hola
Ive just read the whole reference in Wikipedia which of course sent my braiin into a spin. While I agree to the principles in principle(!) I decided to try and think about what were the buzz words for me as an individual......

"everything is connected to everything else"

human beings have an overinflated view of their position in the hierarchy

the flux of nature or the dynamic equilibrium has been placed out of kilter by humans which is damaging this interconnectedness so much so that evolution as we understand it no longer has real meaning

this could lead to the fundamental destruction of this world

Rachel Carsen spoke volumes

small changes by lots of people can help bring us back to some degree of a"Dynamic equilibrium"

cant work out how political bodies, corporate and industrial business can be changed or made to fit in with these ideas before it is too late

There is nothing scientific about this thinking out loud but it does make me feel better to know  there are others out there. Thanks for the posting Clive
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 00:19 AM »
Greetings All,
Thanx for that Deep Ecology link and your summary of its ideals (?), Clive. Am taking SueMac's word for it that it'll also make me 'ead spin and will therefore leave it until the morrow.

We are entering deep waters here - too deep for me to fathom right now, but just to add to the general discussion under way:
Many of the things it raises have already been broached by fellow (guys and gals) iberianatureforumers over the last few months and some of SueMac’s and Simon’s (among others’) interesting points could possibly be drawn up as a sort of 10-point iberianatureforum mission statement – maybe based around the Think globally, act locally (in our case, here on the Ib. Pen.) philosophy attributed to the founder of Friends of the Earth in the 60s.

Regs.
Technopat

Ps
I'm basically optimistic 'bout lots of people doing their bit (positively) and also in finding a way of getting - in SueMac's terms "political bodies, corporate and industrial business" - to adapt to reality and to fit in some way.
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 07:06 AM »
What flummoxes (?) me is that it's just common sense and shouldn't need debating, but then I'm just a simple girl... :roxysnail:
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 08:47 AM »
When ever did common sense have anything to do with it Lisa? Thats the tragedy - and anyway whose common sense?
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:33 AM »
sorry I forgot to post up an irony "smiley" in fact I think we need a deep ironysmiley but we dont have anything appropriateso its  :banghead:
SueMac
SueMac

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 11:32 AM »
Greetings SueMac and Lisa and All,
Until the powers-that-b. come up wiv a deep irony smiley, and/or in lieu of same, please feel free to use the  :technodevil: . Irony is, after all, at least in its modern use, a form of humour, and that particular smiley's smile is more ironic (and humourous) than the original Devil's Advocate smiley - as in the following sentence:
We need to appeal to people's common sense  :technodevil: .

Regs.
Technopat

Ps.
Whenever I try to appeal to people's common sense, the general reaction is "Where's the catch?" 'cos everyone seems to think that in order for them to be meaningful and effective, things have to be complicated and long-term - maybe as an excuse for not having to go out of their way and do something about whatever it is that needs sorting out  >:D .

Pps.
But as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm sure it's really just a question of finding the right marketing strategy and applying the same gimmicks they use to persuade a large percentage of the population to drink soft drinks, smoke tobacco, watch football, buy gas-guzzling 4x4s, and an incredibly large etc. of irrational (daft?) things we rational human beings do on a daily basis. :-X
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:20 AM »
My common sense, SueMac, and anyone else who possesses the equivalent  :technodevil: Sadly not everyone and certainly too few políticos, but I'm also an (naive) optimist and think the human race is getting there albeit at a  :roxysnail: pace. Relevant also to the biofuels topic

"Getting there" means human beings living in harmony with nature, not fighting against it, and polluting/destroying as little as possible. (Told you I was simple.) All depending on the world's population growth I suppose, to which I've contributed 2.  ::)
Still digesting Clive's points  :speechless:
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 13:42 PM »
Greetings Lisa,
'2' as in 'two' or as in 'too'  ;D ? Rhetorical question (requiring no answer).

Regs.
Technopat