• 66 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 10:57 AM »
Combining trekking on the Sulayr and Sierra Nevada

Combining the Sulayr GR240 trek with the higher regions of the Sierra Nevada can provide for a interesting walking and hiking holiday. Here is a report sent in about one such self guided trek.

The first three days of our trip we took the sulayr route (roughly stages 4 – 6). That was generally relatively easy walking, although the climb from Lanjaron to the Sulayr trail (well marked and clear trail) didn’t really allow for an easy start. Also some parts of the route included pretty challenging uphill sections and notably the stage to Trevelez is quite long (18km). We camped at Puente Palo and took hotels in Capileira and Trevelez (where we watched our national soccer team lose the semi final of the world cup).… Read the rest

The post Combining trekking on the Sulayr and Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Combining trekking on the Sulayr and Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Wild Camping In The Sierra Nevada

If you only have a couple of days to spend in the Sierra Nevada and you enjoy wild camping, then this may be the trip for you. A good walk in wild and dramatic scenery where few others will be seen! Also includes the park rules and regulations regarding a wild camp.

Many thanks to Ian Tupman for this guest post

Pretty scary eh?

Pretty scary eh?

Our starting point is the Central Eléctrica (power station) at La Cebadilla which is at 1,600m and is reached by a driveable track from above the village of Capileira. The well-trodden path up the Poquiera valley crosses the river several times and passes through mixed woodland which provides welcome shade in hot weather. It eventually emerges onto the open mountainside below cortijo Las Tomas with its rather bizarre scarecrow.… Read the rest

The post Wild Camping In The Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Wild Camping In The Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 11:00 AM »
Don’t Climb the Yellow Ice

Report and some photos from a couple of days ago at 2500m in the Sierra Nevada. With the cold temperatures of recent weeks the “Cascadas de Los Militares” has come into condition. We just had to go and have a look!

It’s unusual as water ice climbing is rare here. It takes a substantial and prolonged freeze of slow, seeping water to come into climbing condition. This particular ice cliff results from the overflow from the military bunkhouse at the Hoya de la Mora above the ski area (yuk). Keeping to the cleaner ice is preferred!

It goes without saying that the avalanche risks are extremely high at the moment. If you are downhill skiing don’t leave the pistes and ski tourers should maybe wait around for a few days for things to begin to settle down.… Read the rest

The post Don’t Climb the Yellow Ice appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Don’t Climb the Yellow Ice

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Scrambling & Soaring with the Eagles in the Sierra de Huetor, Granada

A birdwatching day searching for eagles & elusive Ring Ouzel, that turned into a superb mountain scrambling day in the mountains north of Granada, Andalucia

16504975657_e071ae34e7_k

It all began when Kiersten Rowland, our resident Spanish Highs expert twitcher, decided she wanted to tick off the Ring Ouzel. This bird seems to have a liking for hawthorn bushes and tough craggy hillsides. We thought we knew just the spot that might attract these elusive birds in an area of mountains north of Granada in the Sierra de Huetor.

N.B The ring ouzel (Turdus torquatus) is a European member of the thrush family Turdidae. It is the mountain equivalent of the closely related common blackbird, and breeds in gullies, rocky areas or scree slopes (Source Wikipedia).Read the rest

The post Scrambling & Soaring with the Eagles in the Sierra de Huetor, Granada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Scrambling & Soaring with the Eagles in the Sierra de Huetor, Granada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 10:55 AM »
“Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada

“Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada

A report from Ian Tupman who made his first winter ascent of the NW ridge of the Tozal del Cartujo in Spain’s Sierra Nevada in late April 2015 with Spanish Highs guide, Felipe Nieto.

P1050497 Stitch

In October 2013 I joined up with Spanish Highs for a ‘dry’ traverse of the Arista del Cartujo (see earlier report). Having completed it, I wanted to go back and do it in winter conditions but the weather and other commitments conspired to delay my return until now.

I picked up Felipe in Lanjarón and we drove to Hoya de la Mora, arriving at 4.30 in the afternoon. The plan was to walk in to the base of the ridge, bivouac and get an early start in the morning.… Read the rest

The post “Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: “Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Walking from Trevélez to Refugio Horcajo, Sierra Nevada

Late afternoon clouds gather above Alcazaba

A linear walk in the Sierra Nevada alongside the Rio Trevélez to the junction with the Rio Juntillas and then a steep climb up to the delightful Refugio Horcajo set in a stunning location amid high peaks.

Although I had walked down the Rio Trevelez from the high peaks of the Sierra Nevada on numerous occasions, I had never visited the Refugio Horcajo, which sits on a little plateau next to a small river at approx 2220m.

We had a group doing the fantastic 3 day trek “3 day trek crossing the Northern Sierra Nevada” from the Vereda de Estrella (Güejar Sierra) over the 3000m peaks of Picon de Jerez, Puntal de los Cuartos, Atalaya and Pico Cuervo before descending to the Refugio Horcajo, and coming out to the village of Trevélez in the Alpujarras.… Read the rest

The post Walking from Trevélez to Refugio Horcajo, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Walking from Trevélez to Refugio Horcajo, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Ascent of the Espolón de la Caldera, Sierra Nevada

Describes an ascent of the Espolón de la Caldera, an alpine type climb and scramble in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountain range in July 2015 by Richard Hartley (Spanish Highs) and Andrew Phillips.

The Espolón de la Caldera is in fact the NW ridge of the Puntal de la Caldera, found just to the west of Mulhacén’s, Collado de Ciervo, in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountains. It gives a rough and sometimes loose scramble with many possibilities for making the ascent easier or tougher to suit. At it’s easiest it’s a Grade 2 scramble, and I guess about VD (4/4+) if the steps and pinnacles are taken direct. Difficult and dangerous to descend or escape due to the loose nature of many areas.… Read the rest

The post Ascent of the Espolón de la Caldera, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Ascent of the Espolón de la Caldera, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada

The steep NW face of Alcazaba in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountains has long been a target for us. The Espolón is the classic route. We decided to go and climb it!

Access to the Espolón

Access to the face is most easily made from the Collado de Ciervo, near the Laguna de la Cadera and west of Mulhacén summit. A zig zag path leads down into the northern corrie of Mulhacén where sits the delightful Laguna de la Mosca. Just a short distance north of the lake a faint track trends right and then gains a sloping shelf the crosses the face of Alcazaba. This is called the Grand Vasar de Alcazaba.

On the Grand Vasar de Alcazaba. The Collado de Ciervo to the far right

P1050507

The next problem is to identify the start of the Espolón as steep rock and crags abound everywhere.… Read the rest

The post Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Ascents, Lagunas & Sunrise in the Sierra Nevada

We recently supported the 201 Field Hospital on a “Sierra Nevada Tres Miles Integral“. 7 days of high 3000m mountains, superb mountain lakes and stunning landscapes. Thanks to leader Captain Kate Hannaford for this report from their trip.

201 Field Hospital on Twitter

“On 05 September 2015 a team from 201 Field Hospital embarked on Exercise Northern Brighella. Adventurous Training (AT) is an integral part of Military Training and greatly valued at 201 Field Hospital. The definition of AT is ‘Challenging outdoor training for Service Personnel in specified adventurous activities that incorporates controlled exposure to risk, in order to develop: leadership, teamwork, physical fitness, moral and physical courage; as well as other personal attributes and skills that are vital to the delivery of Operational Capability’ www.army.mod.uk.… Read the rest

The post Ascents, Lagunas & Sunrise in the Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Ascents, Lagunas & Sunrise in the Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 10:55 AM »
A Day Above The Clouds

A Day Above The Clouds

Thanks to guest writer, Ian Tupman for this report of his day walk in the Sierra Nevada peaks encircling the Rio Chico above Lanjarón, including Cerrillo Redondo and Tajos de los Machos.

The 5th to the 8th of December this year has been a puente, a Spanish holiday celebrating both the new constitution in 1978 and the immaculate conception, several years earlier. Puentes usually result in large numbers of people heading for the countryside and the mountains, especially when the weather is good. On these occasions I try to seek out the quieter, less travelled routes and so with light winds and sunshine forecast for the day, I decided on a high level walk around the Río Chico valley.

I hadn’t been above 2,000 metres since June of this year and so I was anticipating the effects of altitude and my lack of hill fitness.… Read the rest

The post A Day Above The Clouds appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: A Day Above The Clouds

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2015, 10:55 AM »
A Day Above The Clouds

A Day Above The Clouds

Thanks to guest writer, Ian Tupman for this report of his day walk in the Sierra Nevada peaks encircling the Rio Chico above Lanjarón, including Cerrillo Redondo and Tajos de los Machos.

The 5th to the 8th of December this year has been a puente, a Spanish holiday celebrating both the new constitution in 1978 and the immaculate conception, several years earlier. Puentes usually result in large numbers of people heading for the countryside and the mountains, especially when the weather is good. On these occasions I try to seek out the quieter, less travelled routes and so with light winds and sunshine forecast for the day, I decided on a high level walk around the Río Chico valley.

I hadn’t been above 2,000 metres since June of this year and so I was anticipating the effects of altitude and my lack of hill fitness.… Read the rest

The post A Day Above The Clouds appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: A Day Above The Clouds

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 10:55 AM »

Combining the Sulayr GR240 trek with the higher regions of the Sierra Nevada can provide for a interesting walking and hiking holiday. Here is a report sent in about one such self guided trek.

The first three days of our trip we took the sulayr route (roughly stages 4 – 6). That was generally relatively easy walking, although the climb from Lanjaron to the Sulayr trail (well marked and clear trail) didn’t really allow for an easy start. Also some parts of the route included pretty challenging uphill sections and notably the stage to Trevelez is quite long (18km). We camped at Puente Palo and took hotels in Capileira and Trevelez (where we watched our national soccer team lose the semi final of the world cup).… Read the rest

The post Combining trekking on the Sulayr and Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Combining trekking on the Sulayr and Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 10:55 AM »

If you only have a couple of days to spend in the Sierra Nevada and you enjoy wild camping, then this may be the trip for you. A good walk in wild and dramatic scenery where few others will be seen! Also includes the park rules and regulations regarding a wild camp.

Many thanks to Ian Tupman for this guest post

Pretty scary eh?

Pretty scary eh?

Our starting point is the Central Eléctrica (power station) at La Cebadilla which is at 1,600m and is reached by a driveable track from above the village of Capileira. The well-trodden path up the Poquiera valley crosses the river several times and passes through mixed woodland which provides welcome shade in hot weather. It eventually emerges onto the open mountainside below cortijo Las Tomas with its rather bizarre scarecrow.… Read the rest

The post Wild Camping In The Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Wild Camping In The Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 10:55 AM »

Report and some photos from a couple of days ago at 2500m in the Sierra Nevada. With the cold temperatures of recent weeks the “Cascadas de Los Militares” has come into condition. We just had to go and have a look!

It’s unusual as water ice climbing is rare here. It takes a substantial and prolonged freeze of slow, seeping water to come into climbing condition. This particular ice cliff results from the overflow from the military bunkhouse at the Hoya de la Mora above the ski area (yuk). Keeping to the cleaner ice is preferred!

It goes without saying that the avalanche risks are extremely high at the moment. If you are downhill skiing don’t leave the pistes and ski tourers should maybe wait around for a few days for things to begin to settle down.… Read the rest

The post Don’t Climb the Yellow Ice appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Don’t Climb the Yellow Ice

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2016, 10:55 AM »

A birdwatching day searching for eagles & elusive Ring Ouzel, that turned into a superb mountain scrambling day in the mountains north of Granada, Andalucia

16504975657_e071ae34e7_k

It all began when Kiersten Rowland, our resident Spanish Highs expert twitcher, decided she wanted to tick off the Ring Ouzel. This bird seems to have a liking for hawthorn bushes and tough craggy hillsides. We thought we knew just the spot that might attract these elusive birds in an area of mountains north of Granada in the Sierra de Huetor.

N.B The ring ouzel (Turdus torquatus) is a European member of the thrush family Turdidae. It is the mountain equivalent of the closely related common blackbird, and breeds in gullies, rocky areas or scree slopes (Source Wikipedia).Read the rest

The post Scrambling & Soaring with the Eagles in the Sierra de Huetor, Granada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Scrambling & Soaring with the Eagles in the Sierra de Huetor, Granada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 10:55 AM »

A report from Ian Tupman who made his first winter ascent of the NW ridge of the Tozal del Cartujo in Spain’s Sierra Nevada in late April 2015 with Spanish Highs guide, Felipe Nieto.

P1050497 Stitch

In October 2013 I joined up with Spanish Highs for a ‘dry’ traverse of the Arista del Cartujo (see earlier report). Having completed it, I wanted to go back and do it in winter conditions but the weather and other commitments conspired to delay my return until now.

I picked up Felipe in Lanjarón and we drove to Hoya de la Mora, arriving at 4.30 in the afternoon. The plan was to walk in to the base of the ridge, bivouac and get an early start in the morning.… Read the rest

The post “Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: “Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Walking from Trevélez to Refugio Horcajo, Sierra Nevada

Late afternoon clouds gather above Alcazaba

A linear walk in the Sierra Nevada alongside the Rio Trevélez to the junction with the Rio Juntillas and then a steep climb up to the delightful Refugio Horcajo set in a stunning location amid high peaks.

Although I had walked down the Rio Trevelez from the high peaks of the Sierra Nevada on numerous occasions, I had never visited the Refugio Horcajo, which sits on a little plateau next to a small river at approx 2220m.

We had a group doing the fantastic 3 day trek “3 day trek crossing the Northern Sierra Nevada” from the Vereda de Estrella (Güejar Sierra) over the 3000m peaks of Picon de Jerez, Puntal de los Cuartos, Atalaya and Pico Cuervo before descending to the Refugio Horcajo, and coming out to the village of Trevélez in the Alpujarras.… Read the rest

The post Walking from Trevélez to Refugio Horcajo, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Walking from Trevélez to Refugio Horcajo, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 10:55 AM »

Describes an ascent of the Espolón de la Caldera, an alpine type climb and scramble in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountain range in July 2015 by Richard Hartley (Spanish Highs) and Andrew Phillips.

The Espolón de la Caldera is in fact the NW ridge of the Puntal de la Caldera, found just to the west of Mulhacén’s, Collado de Ciervo, in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountains. It gives a rough and sometimes loose scramble with many possibilities for making the ascent easier or tougher to suit. At it’s easiest it’s a Grade 2 scramble, and I guess about VD (4/4+) if the steps and pinnacles are taken direct. Difficult and dangerous to descend or escape due to the loose nature of many areas.… Read the rest

The post Ascent of the Espolón de la Caldera, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Ascent of the Espolón de la Caldera, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 10:55 AM »

The steep NW face of Alcazaba in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountains has long been a target for us. The Espolón is the classic route. We decided to go and climb it!

Access to the Espolón

Access to the face is most easily made from the Collado de Ciervo, near the Laguna de la Cadera and west of Mulhacén summit. A zig zag path leads down into the northern corrie of Mulhacén where sits the delightful Laguna de la Mosca. Just a short distance north of the lake a faint track trends right and then gains a sloping shelf the crosses the face of Alcazaba. This is called the Grand Vasar de Alcazaba.

P1050507

The next problem is to identify the start of the Espolón as steep rock and crags abound everywhere.… Read the rest

The post Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2016, 10:55 AM »

We recently supported the 201 Field Hospital on a “Sierra Nevada Tres Miles Integral“. 7 days of high 3000m mountains, superb mountain lakes and stunning landscapes. Thanks to leader Captain Kate Hannaford for this report from their trip.

201 Field Hospital on Twitter

“On 05 September 2015 a team from 201 Field Hospital embarked on Exercise Northern Brighella. Adventurous Training (AT) is an integral part of Military Training and greatly valued at 201 Field Hospital. The definition of AT is ‘Challenging outdoor training for Service Personnel in specified adventurous activities that incorporates controlled exposure to risk, in order to develop: leadership, teamwork, physical fitness, moral and physical courage; as well as other personal attributes and skills that are vital to the delivery of Operational Capability’ www.army.mod.uk.… Read the rest

The post Ascents, Lagunas & Sunrise in the Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Ascents, Lagunas & Sunrise in the Sierra Nevada