• 66 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 10:55 AM »
A Day Above The Clouds

A Day Above The Clouds

Thanks to guest writer, Ian Tupman for this report of his day walk in the Sierra Nevada peaks encircling the Rio Chico above Lanjarón, including Cerrillo Redondo and Tajos de los Machos.

The 5th to the 8th of December this year has been a puente, a Spanish holiday celebrating both the new constitution in 1978 and the immaculate conception, several years earlier. Puentes usually result in large numbers of people heading for the countryside and the mountains, especially when the weather is good. On these occasions I try to seek out the quieter, less travelled routes and so with light winds and sunshine forecast for the day, I decided on a high level walk around the Río Chico valley.

I hadn’t been above 2,000 metres since June of this year and so I was anticipating the effects of altitude and my lack of hill fitness.… Read the rest

The post A Day Above The Clouds appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: A Day Above The Clouds

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2016, 10:56 AM »
A Ridge Too Far – A Wild, Remote Trek in the Sierra Nevada

Many thanks to guest writer Ian Tupman for this report and photos from a visit to a relatively unknown but wild and remote area of the Sierra Nevada

In September 2013 I paid my first visit to the Refugio Horcajo with the purpose of firstly locating it, and secondly to check its condition for possible future use. It sits at 2,200m on a small plateau between two tributaries of the Río Trevélez. In October of the same year I did a circular walk taking in some of the far north-eastern peaks of the Sierra Nevada including Cerro de Trevélez. From there, my eye had been drawn south-west along the Loma de las Albardas and the extensive ridge beyond. The maps give little information on what the ridge is like and indeed there is no path shown for all but the most southerly section.… Read the rest

The post A Ridge Too Far – A Wild, Remote Trek in the Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: A Ridge Too Far – A Wild, Remote Trek in the Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Trust Your Compass

Trust Your Compass

“Successfully completing an exercise like this helps to build confidence and when you need to navigate in ‘anger’ you know that you CAN trust your compass” writes Ian Tupman 

Retirement brings advantages when it comes to getting into the mountains, one of which is being able to wait for good weather. The forecast the other day was for the possibility of a few isolated showers in the morning and for the cloud to break up during the afternoon. The plan therefore was a late start and a short, circular walk over Pico de las Alegas from where I hoped to get some atmospheric photos of the higher peaks as the cloud dissipated.

By 11.00 am however, cloud was already building as I drove along the forest track to my starting point.… Read the rest

The post Trust Your Compass appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Trust Your Compass

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Scrambling & Soaring with the Eagles in the Sierra de Huetor, Granada

A birdwatching day searching for eagles & elusive Ring Ouzel, that turned into a superb mountain scrambling day in the mountains north of Granada, Andalucia

16504975657_e071ae34e7_k

It all began when Kiersten Rowland, our resident Spanish Highs expert twitcher, decided she wanted to tick off the Ring Ouzel. This bird seems to have a liking for hawthorn bushes and tough craggy hillsides. We thought we knew just the spot that might attract these elusive birds in an area of mountains north of Granada in the Sierra de Huetor.

N.B The ring ouzel (Turdus torquatus) is a European member of the thrush family Turdidae. It is the mountain equivalent of the closely related common blackbird, and breeds in gullies, rocky areas or scree slopes (Source Wikipedia).Read the rest

The post Scrambling & Soaring with the Eagles in the Sierra de Huetor, Granada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Scrambling & Soaring with the Eagles in the Sierra de Huetor, Granada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2016, 10:55 AM »
“Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada

“Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada

A report from Ian Tupman who made his first winter ascent of the NW ridge of the Tozal del Cartujo in Spain’s Sierra Nevada in late April 2015 with Spanish Highs guide, Felipe Nieto.

P1050497 Stitch

In October 2013 I joined up with Spanish Highs for a ‘dry’ traverse of the Arista del Cartujo (see earlier report). Having completed it, I wanted to go back and do it in winter conditions but the weather and other commitments conspired to delay my return until now.

I picked up Felipe in Lanjarón and we drove to Hoya de la Mora, arriving at 4.30 in the afternoon. The plan was to walk in to the base of the ridge, bivouac and get an early start in the morning.… Read the rest

The post “Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: “Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2016, 10:55 AM »

A birdwatching day searching for eagles & elusive Ring Ouzel, that turned into a superb mountain scrambling day in the mountains north of Granada, Andalucia

16504975657_e071ae34e7_k

It all began when Kiersten Rowland, our resident Spanish Highs expert twitcher, decided she wanted to tick off the Ring Ouzel. This bird seems to have a liking for hawthorn bushes and tough craggy hillsides. We thought we knew just the spot that might attract these elusive birds in an area of mountains north of Granada in the Sierra de Huetor.

N.B The ring ouzel (Turdus torquatus) is a European member of the thrush family Turdidae. It is the mountain equivalent of the closely related common blackbird, and breeds in gullies, rocky areas or scree slopes (Source Wikipedia).Read the rest

The post Scrambling & Soaring with the Eagles in the Sierra de Huetor, Granada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Scrambling & Soaring with the Eagles in the Sierra de Huetor, Granada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2016, 10:55 AM »

A report from Ian Tupman who made his first winter ascent of the NW ridge of the Tozal del Cartujo in Spain’s Sierra Nevada in late April 2015 with Spanish Highs guide, Felipe Nieto.

P1050497 Stitch

In October 2013 I joined up with Spanish Highs for a ‘dry’ traverse of the Arista del Cartujo (see earlier report). Having completed it, I wanted to go back and do it in winter conditions but the weather and other commitments conspired to delay my return until now.

I picked up Felipe in Lanjarón and we drove to Hoya de la Mora, arriving at 4.30 in the afternoon. The plan was to walk in to the base of the ridge, bivouac and get an early start in the morning.… Read the rest

The post “Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: “Living on the Edge” – winter ascent of Tozal del Cartujo NW ridge, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada

Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada

The steep NW face of Alcazaba in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountains has long been a target for us. The Espolón is the classic route. We decided to go and climb it!

Access to the Espolón

Access to the face is most easily made from the Collado de Ciervo, near the Laguna de la Cadera and west of Mulhacén summit. A zig zag path leads down into the northern corrie of Mulhacén where sits the delightful Laguna de la Mosca. Just a short distance north of the lake a faint track trends right and then gains a sloping shelf the crosses the face of Alcazaba. This is called the Grand Vasar de Alcazaba.

On the Grand Vasar de Alcazaba. The Collado de Ciervo to the far right

On the Grand Vasar de Alcazaba. The Collado de Ciervo to the far right

P1050507

The next problem is to identify the start of the Espolón as steep rock and crags abound everywhere.… Read the rest

The post Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2016, 10:56 AM »

Many thanks to guest writer Ian Tupman for this report and photos from a visit to a relatively unknown but wild and remote area of the Sierra Nevada

In September 2013 I paid my first visit to the Refugio Horcajo with the purpose of firstly locating it, and secondly to check its condition for possible future use. It sits at 2,200m on a small plateau between two tributaries of the Río Trevélez. In October of the same year I did a circular walk taking in some of the far north-eastern peaks of the Sierra Nevada including Cerro de Trevélez. From there, my eye had been drawn south-west along the Loma de las Albardas and the extensive ridge beyond. The maps give little information on what the ridge is like and indeed there is no path shown for all but the most southerly section.… Read the rest

The post A Ridge Too Far – A Wild, Remote Trek in the Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: A Ridge Too Far – A Wild, Remote Trek in the Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Trust Your Compass

Trust Your Compass

“Successfully completing an exercise like this helps to build confidence and when you need to navigate in ‘anger’ you know that you CAN trust your compass” writes Ian Tupman 

Retirement brings advantages when it comes to getting into the mountains, one of which is being able to wait for good weather. The forecast the other day was for the possibility of a few isolated showers in the morning and for the cloud to break up during the afternoon. The plan therefore was a late start and a short, circular walk over Pico de las Alegas from where I hoped to get some atmospheric photos of the higher peaks as the cloud dissipated.

By 11.00 am however, cloud was already building as I drove along the forest track to my starting point.… Read the rest

The post Trust Your Compass appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Trust Your Compass

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2016, 10:55 AM »
A Hard Nut To Crack

A Hard Nut To Crack

Tajo Almendrón in the Tejeda Natural Park is so named because of its distinctive almond shape. It forms part of a north-south ridge and is much visited, being on a popular walking route behind the town of Nerja. I walked this route in January 2015 and impressive as the Almendrón is, I was more intrigued by its little brother, Almendrillo. From the path I thought I could see a stone cairn on the summit and there appeared to be three possible routes of ascent: the first via the north ridge, the second via the much steeper east ridge and the third via the precarious-looking south ridge. Whichever route was taken, it would require a rope of at least two people and more than a little nerve.… Read the rest

The post A Hard Nut To Crack appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: A Hard Nut To Crack

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2016, 10:56 AM »
A Hard Nut To Crack

A Hard Nut To Crack

Tajo Almendrón in the Tejeda Natural Park is so named because of its distinctive almond shape. It forms part of a north-south ridge and is much visited, being on a popular walking route behind the town of Nerja. I walked this route in January 2015 and impressive as the Almendrón is, I was more intrigued by its little brother, Almendrillo. From the path I thought I could see a stone cairn on the summit and there appeared to be three possible routes of ascent: the first via the north ridge, the second via the much steeper east ridge and the third via the precarious-looking south ridge. Whichever route was taken, it would require a rope of at least two people and more than a little nerve.… Read the rest

The post A Hard Nut To Crack appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: A Hard Nut To Crack

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Arista Sur de La Sagra – Scrambles in Andalucia

In the north-east corner of the Granada province and half an hour to the north of Huescar, the south ridge of La Sagra is advertised as one of the best scrambling routes in Andalucía. Last week Felipe Nieto and I decided to take a look.

The approach road from Huescar is in good condition and the final stretch through the pine forest has recently been re-graded for ordinary road cars. We parked just west of the gate into the hunting area and continued up the track on foot. Turning off the track to the left, we climbed over loose ground into a rocky gully. A pile of large chock stones appears to bar the way but there is sufficient room between them to squeeze through.… Read the rest

The post Arista Sur de La Sagra – Scrambles in Andalucia appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Arista Sur de La Sagra – Scrambles in Andalucia

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2016, 10:56 AM »

In the north-east corner of the Granada province and half an hour to the north of Huescar, the south ridge of La Sagra is advertised as one of the best scrambling routes in Andalucía. Last week Felipe Nieto and I decided to take a look.

The approach road from Huescar is in good condition and the final stretch through the pine forest has recently been re-graded for ordinary road cars. We parked just west of the gate into the hunting area and continued up the track on foot. Turning off the track to the left, we climbed over loose ground into a rocky gully. A pile of large chock stones appears to bar the way but there is sufficient room between them to squeeze through.… Read the rest

The post Arista Sur de La Sagra – Scrambles in Andalucia appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Arista Sur de La Sagra – Scrambles in Andalucia

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Out of my comfort zone scrambling on the north ridge of Tozal del Cartujo

A report below from Kiersten Rowland of Spanish Highs about her recent scrambling day she had with us on the Tozal del Cartujo in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

This is my version of a day scrambling I had in the Sierra Nevada on the NW ridge of Tozal del Cartujo. Thankfully I was in the competent company of Richard, Felipe and Andrew, who all helped to keep me calm, make me laugh and make me feel confident. Yes I can do it.

The four of us on the chair lift on our way up

The four of us met in Lanjaron and drove to the ski centre above Granada to catch the gondola to the middle station and then the chair lift to below Veleta (in July and August the ski chair lifts are open and give you a good bump in altitude to help a good mountain day).… Read the rest

The post Out of my comfort zone scrambling on the north ridge of Tozal del Cartujo appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Out of my comfort zone scrambling on the north ridge of Tozal del Cartujo

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 10:56 AM »

A report below from Kiersten Rowland of Spanish Highs about her recent scrambling day she had with us on the Tozal del Cartujo in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

This is my version of a day scrambling I had in the Sierra Nevada on the NW ridge of Tozal del Cartujo. Thankfully I was in the competent company of Richard, Felipe and Andrew, who all helped to keep me calm, make me laugh and make me feel confident. Yes I can do it.

The four of us met in Lanjaron and drove to the ski centre above Granada to catch the gondola to the middle station and then the chair lift to below Veleta (in July and August the ski chair lifts are open and give you a good bump in altitude to help a good mountain day).… Read the rest

The post Out of my comfort zone scrambling on the north ridge of Tozal del Cartujo appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Out of my comfort zone scrambling on the north ridge of Tozal del Cartujo

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2016, 10:55 AM »

Offline Juan-P

• Saved this serin!
    • Knowall's Awesome Almería
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2016, 23:11 PM »
Just to show someone is reading this, that is the third time you have posted the same post! ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2016, 00:17 AM »
Its an issue with the script that drags the posts from blogs to the forum.... I am working on it... :)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2016, 10:55 AM »
A day in the Sierra Nevada mountains doesn’t always have to reach a summit!

A day in the Sierra Nevada mountains doesn’t always have to reach a summit!

People are driven to reach summits. It’s in their nature. But in the constant drive to get to the top, much of the surrounding beauty can also be missed or ignored. This is good news though for those who prefer to forgo the crowded mountain peaks and trails and disappear into their own world. A world of quiet, peace, tranquillity and superb natural scenery few others will get to see. One such day, we were privileged to enjoy yesterday.

Trip report from 12th August 2016

We caught the early National park bus from Capileira (08:30) to the Alto de Chorrillo at 2700m. It was crowded. Immediately every passenger alighting from the bus started up the long south ridge of Mulhacén (3482m) intent on reaching the highest point in mainland Spain.… Read the rest

The post A day in the Sierra Nevada mountains doesn’t always have to reach a summit! appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: A day in the Sierra Nevada mountains doesn’t always have to reach a summit!