Iberianature Forum

Spanish Highs Mountain Guides - Trip Reports

• 66 Replies

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2016, 10:55 AM »
A day in the Sierra Nevada mountains doesn’t always have to reach a summit!

People are driven to reach summits. It’s in their nature. But in the constant drive to get to the top, much of the surrounding beauty can also be missed or ignored. This is good news though for those who prefer to forgo the crowded mountain peaks and trails and disappear into their own world. A world of quiet, peace, tranquillity and superb natural scenery few others will get to see. One such day, we were privileged to enjoy yesterday.

Trip report from 12th August 2016

We caught the early National park bus from Capileira (08:30) to the Alto de Chorrillo at 2700m. It was crowded. Immediately every passenger alighting from the bus started up the long south ridge of Mulhacén (3482m) intent on reaching the highest point in mainland Spain.… Read the rest

The post A day in the Sierra Nevada mountains doesn’t always have to reach a summit! appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: A day in the Sierra Nevada mountains doesn’t always have to reach a summit!

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2016, 10:55 AM »

People are driven to reach summits. It’s in their nature. But in the constant drive to get to the top, much of the surrounding beauty can also be missed or ignored. This is good news though for those who prefer to forgo the crowded mountain peaks and trails and disappear into their own world. A world of quiet, peace, tranquillity and superb natural scenery few others will get to see. One such day, we were privileged to enjoy yesterday.

Trip report from 12th August 2016

We caught the early National park bus from Capileira (08:30) to the Alto de Chorrillo at 2700m. It was crowded. Immediately every passenger alighting from the bus started up the long south ridge of Mulhacén (3482m) intent on reaching the highest point in mainland Spain.… Read the rest

The post A day in the Sierra Nevada mountains doesn’t always have to reach a summit! appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: A day in the Sierra Nevada mountains doesn’t always have to reach a summit!

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada

Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada

The steep NW face of Alcazaba in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountains has long been a target for us. The Espolón is the classic route. We decided to go and climb it!

Access to the Espolón

Access to the face is most easily made from the Collado de Ciervo, near the Laguna de la Cadera and west of Mulhacén summit. A zig zag path leads down into the northern corrie of Mulhacén where sits the delightful Laguna de la Mosca. Just a short distance north of the lake a faint track trends right and then gains a sloping shelf the crosses the face of Alcazaba. This is called the Grand Vasar de Alcazaba.

On the Grand Vasar de Alcazaba. The Collado de Ciervo to the far right

On the Grand Vasar de Alcazaba. The Collado de Ciervo to the far right

P1050507

The next problem is to identify the start of the Espolón as steep rock and crags abound everywhere.… Read the rest

The post Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Ascent of the NW Espolón de Alcazaba, Sierra Nevada

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Out of my comfort zone scrambling on the north ridge of Tozal del Cartujo

Out of my comfort zone scrambling on the north ridge of Tozal del Cartujo

A report below from Kiersten Rowland of Spanish Highs about her recent scrambling day she had with us on the Tozal del Cartujo in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

This is my version of a day scrambling I had in the Sierra Nevada on the NW ridge of Tozal del Cartujo. Thankfully I was in the competent company of Richard, Felipe and Andrew, who all helped to keep me calm, make me laugh and make me feel confident. Yes I can do it.

The four of us on the chair lift on our way up

The four of us on the chair lift on our way up

The four of us met in Lanjaron and drove to the ski centre above Granada to catch the gondola to the middle station and then the chair lift to below Veleta (in July and August the ski chair lifts are open and give you a good bump in altitude to help a good mountain day).… Read the rest

The post Out of my comfort zone scrambling on the north ridge of Tozal del Cartujo appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Out of my comfort zone scrambling on the north ridge of Tozal del Cartujo

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Patagonian Icecap Expedition 2016

Report from our expedition to the Patagonian Icecap in November 2016 which was beset by unsettled weather and enforced route changes due to unseasonal warm weather.

Summary

The plan was to access the Patagonian Icecap via Paso Marconi as usual but then head off across the icecap to climb the remote and rarely climbed peak of Cerro Mariano Moreno. Due to the collapse of the Marconi glacier a new access route had to be found NW of Playita up to Laguna de los 14 and onto the lower Glacier Gorra Blanca Sur. The warm weather gave unusual conditions. As well as soft snow, lagoons had formed of knee deep slush over vast expanses of the icecap. Clearly too dangerous and arduous for venturing over to Cerro Mariano Moreno.… Read the rest

The post Patagonian Icecap Expedition 2016 appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Source: Patagonian Icecap Expedition 2016

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2016, 10:55 AM »

Report from our expedition to the Patagonian Icecap in November 2016 which was beset by unsettled weather and enforced route changes due to unseasonal warm weather.

Summary

The plan was to access the Patagonian Icecap via Paso Marconi as usual but then head off across the icecap to climb the remote and rarely climbed peak of Cerro Mariano Moreno. Due to the collapse of the Marconi glacier a new access route had to be found NW of Playita up to Laguna de los 14 and onto the lower Glacier Gorra Blanca Sur. The warm weather gave unusual conditions. As well as soft snow, lagoons had formed of knee deep slush over vast expanses of the icecap. Clearly too dangerous and arduous for venturing over to Cerro Mariano Moreno.… Read the rest

The post Patagonian Icecap Expedition 2016 appeared first on "Inspiring the Adventure", Sierra Nevada.

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2016, 10:55 AM »

Summary