Domestic animals

• 10 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« on: July 01, 2008, 15:32 PM »
Hi Clive and co

What is the chance of setting up a domestic animals page on your great site, just somewhere were people could go and share pet health information and advice but not the cooy cooy isn't my pet the best, thats not what I'm after. Your site has so many hits, there must be a wealth of information on pets as well as nature. I think it would be very usefull for us pet owners and I know at least 1 other person on here would like it to happen aswell  :clapping:.

There are so many diseases and problems that our pets can encounter over here that we are not used to from living in old blighty, I worked in a vet hospital and never came across half the stuff my dogs have had here. Also when you cant quite understand your Spanish speaking vet (ok so most of you sound pretty fluent in Spanish but I'm a relative new comer so I'm still learning) it would be nice to have somewhere to refer to  :booklook:.

Didn't know if I should PM your or post this so Ive made a decision and Ive posted it  :o

Would welcome yours and anyone else's thoughts on this.

Maria

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 16:14 PM »
Hi Maria
We don´t have any pets here, because i think it is unfair on them given where we live, 9 floors up. Your idea though, I think is brilliant, so how about it Clive?. I have often wondered if I come across a sick or injured animal (Domestic or wild), what to do with it as there are no obvious PDSA or RSPCA clinics, this would be a good point of reference.
regards
Dave

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 19:22 PM »
Board created as requested.... Try not to fill our server up with cute puppy and kitten pictures :)

Have fun

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 21:14 PM »
Greetings Maria, Dave 'n' All,
A sort of tangent answer to Dave's "What to do if you come across a ...", Ignacio Pardo de Santillana (Director of the Zoo in Santander) said on the radio today that this time of year he gets swamped with people bringing in injured wild baby animals for treatment, which is fair enough, but he gets a very large number of bambis - corzos and ciervos which people have come across, apparently "abandoned" by their mothers. He said that what happens is that Mother leaves her offspring hidden away in the undergrowth while she goes off shoppin', huntin' or fishin' or whatever it is Mothers do, leaving strict instructions for Bambi not to move. And Bambi is incredibly obedient and doesn't - whatever the approaching danger. And along comes some well-meaning, nature-loving excursionist, comes across the poor little doe-eyed cutie and naturally (?) thinks it's been abandoned by its uncaring mother*, and takes it to the nearest zoo, vet, etc.** Bambi is broken hearted and enters into severe state of shock and Mother becomes cynical, hard-nosed freedom fighter. Moral: Don't meddle with Nature - unless they are obviously injured, leave the Bambis alone and their Mother'll be back soon.

*and grows up to be a psychopath - ABC of Psychology
**Technopat would probably bring it home and have roast venison instead of these wimpish salads Mrs Tp comes up with now when it's hot...

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 21:45 PM »
A tangent that has absolutely nothing to do with domestic or pet animals.... Hmmm I thought so....

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline judith

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 11:04 AM »
Hi,
I also think this is a brilliant idea as with the pups and now our cat here, I am struggling to know which new creepy crawlies etc could be a danger to them and which are perfectly harmless.
The other night one of the pups found a huge cow-pat sized toad which, although he only sniffed it gave him a very irritated face and eyes (one was completely shut) for the next day. Being a Sunday, we didn't know whether to disturb the Vet or not, so bathed his eyes 2 hourly in 0.9% saline solution and that seemed to do the trick!
Wonder what type of toad it was?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 17:22 PM »
Take a picture next time Judith but I guess it would have been a female common toad... :)

http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php?topic=232.0

Simon

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Well done Maria! An excellent idea to have pets and domestic animals topic.

I wonder who your mysterious "at least one other person" might be? :technodevil:

Woof woof

Simon

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 18:55 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for the encouraging posts and nice to know that there was more than 1 other person (woof woof) interested, ive been meaning to write a post but have not been to well, tell me how do you get a cold in 30+ degs!!?? Anyway shall get round to it soon as my brain and fingers feel upto it again.

Maria

Offline arvak

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 13:14 PM »
Hi all. Here i am again. I've been on a hollyday Trip in Galicia with my wife and we came back yesterday ( we have to work since today).

As i wrote in my presentation I'm a Spanish vet and i have my clinic here in Spain. I enjoy a lot my job and if you can excuse my English i will answer any questions about pets . I think that it ´ll be easier for me if you make short questions but anyway, I'll try to do my best.

Rgs. Arvak.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 16:32 PM »
Greetings Arvak,
Welcome back to Madrid! Hope Galicia was cool!
Don't you worry 'bout your English - I'll be here to help them with their English :angel:
Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266