Iberianature Forum

Hola from Northumberland / Costa Blanca!

• 2 Replies

Offline lazza

« on: August 21, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Just joined the forum today, and hoping I can learn a lot! After several years visiting the Costa Blanca, I realise my knowledge of the local flora and fauna is pretty terrible, and the guide books I have for the UK are pretty useless!

So, I live in Northumberland but I am lucky enough to have in-laws who own a property in the southern Costa Blanca area, between Santa Pola and Torrevieja. We have two family holidays there each year, at Easter and in the summer, so I spend around 5-6 weeks out there each year.

I'm most fanatical about bird-watching, and spend a lot of my time in Spain at some of the fantastic local reserves (El Hondo, the Sta Pola Salinas, the lakes at La Mata/Torrevieja), and trundling around on my bike in some of the wilder areas (Sierra de Crevillente) or around the local farm tracks and camino. But I have recently started to take a much greater interest in the flowers and insects we see, especially since finding a giant Megarian Banded Centipede curled up in our washing!!

So, I'm hoping to be able to help with bird identification, and get advice on pretty much everything else.... I'm off to the insect forum right now with my first questions!!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 13:17 PM »
Welcome to  sign

I see you have already helped out with your cuckoo thought on the other topic.. :)

Post away! Look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing about your Spanish neck of the woods... (there is a board for other places in the world so Northumberland is included there...

if you run a blog or website add it to your signature and I can set up an auto posting system here if you like...
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lazza

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 13:20 PM »
Thanks! It was seeing the post on the "spotted bird" that convinced me to register! I saw my first juvenile Spotted Cuckoo this summer, a magnificent bird! And it was the yellow throat and speckled wings that drew my attention to it.

I've resisted starting a blog so far, as I already "waste too much time" on nature forums and web-sites, so it would probably stop me ever doing any work!