Iberianature Forum

Orthoptera for ID please - SOLVED - Thyreonotus corsicus or bidens

• 2 Replies

Offline Trik

« on: October 17, 2015, 18:04 PM »
The bush crickets were near Casares at approx 300m; the grasshopper at the back of the beach at Sotogrande. Both were early September.  I have looked at every one of the >2K photos on the Grasshoppers of Europe website and couldn't ID the pink grasshopper.  The closest match I could find for the bush crickets was Antaxius pedestris, but my crickets don't have a white border to the pronotum like A. pedestris has.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Trik
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 16:25 PM by Trik »

Offline Michaelsk

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:32 AM »
Excellent photos.  The bush-crickets are, I think,  either Thyreonotus corsicus or bidens. The genus is closely related to Antaxius.  The grasshopper looks like a Sphingonotus species.

Michael

Offline Trik

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 16:20 PM »
Thank you for the IDs, Michael.

I have looked at other photos of Thyreonotus online and I am leaning towards T. corsicus, particularly as I found a scientific paper which states that this cricket is a predator of Pine Processionary moth eggs - these moths were in the traps every night.  Something which I should have mentioned in my first post was that both male and female were as big as the Great Green Bush Cricket, although I could find nothing online about the size of either T. corsicus or T. bidens.

I think the pink grasshopper might be S. caerulans, but, as it didn't fly, I couldn't see if it had blue wings.  I will have to search a bit more to see if I can narrow it down.

Thanks again.
Trik