Iberianature Forum

Red-footed Falcon in Granada province

• 4 Replies

Offline JSW099

• Salar, Granada
« on: May 01, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Hi all,

Thought you might like to see the Red-footed Falcon (2nd calendar year male), I photographed near Alhama de Granada yesterday. I don´t know how rare these birds are in the above province, but I have never seen one here before. Apologies for photo but distance and heat haze made it very awkward.

Syd

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Hey, thats a great sighting!.. I have never seen one in Spain as when they do get across here they are normally more over to the east from the Sierra de Grazalema where I am.... The IUCN have a pretty good distribution map and you can see that Spain is pretty much out of their territory.... If I remember rightly 2008 was a good year for seeing them here in Spain in numbers.... Maybe something to do with a change in their normal migratory route up from africa?.... Here is the link to the distribution map
http://maps.iucnredlist.org/map.html?id=22696432
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline JSW099

• Salar, Granada
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Clive,

Thank you for the map, and I am very pleased with the wife who actually spotted it, though she couldn´t id it.
We may have got better photos if it had not been for a Bonelli´s Eagle soared over and frightened the falcon away.
Regards

Syd

Offline quentin

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 16:07 PM »
That is a great find so well done to your wife! I've never seen one in Spain in 15 years of birding. No, not jealous.

Offline JSW099

• Salar, Granada
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 12:00 PM »
This is my wife and I´s Spanish lifer also and consider ourselves very lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Regards

Syd