• 22 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: June 15, 2007, 11:41 AM »
Hola

A sickening story of "big Game" hunting in Spain at http://www.theolivepress.es/2007/06/14/safari-spain-olive-press-investigation/#more-483

I really don't know what to say or add to the story from the olive press newspaper.

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 14:52 PM »
I must admit I often find it hard to get particularly worked up about the evils of hunting with all the rest of ills in our impefect little world, and without going into the much greater long-term threats to Spanish wildlife of urbanisation, etc.

But this is just sick f****** should be strung up.

Nick

PS Apologies to Roxanne for language.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 15:54 PM by Wildside »
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 22:07 PM »
I just hope there aren't any more around. Please let us know the outcome of the trial Clive.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Tore

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 18:36 PM »
This is neither hunting, nor has it anything to do with nature or wilderness.
The individuals engaging in this (not only those who organise such an activity, but in particularily those who pay to participate) have no idea about what mankind's relationship with nature is really about.
Morally and intellectually stunted...
I shall be interested to see what the Spanish justice system is capable of doing now, especially with regards to preventive effects...
Tore
Tore

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 18:49 PM »
Hola,

I agree entirely with you Tore, this is not hunting...

However, I have yet to meet a hunter here in Spain that has any respect for the environment or the animals he or she wishes to "hunt"

This is not an isolated case as I was told recently of a "clay pigeon shoot" where real partridges were placed in the machine to be ejected into the firing line of a group of drunken "hunters" for a laugh...

I respect your points of view, Tore, but they are based on your logic and your ethics...When you arrived in Spain you entered a different hunting etiquette. One without thought for today or tomorrow....One that kills the food of next year and litters the ground with rotting headless carcasses and empty cartridges.

Nick, your comment I understand fully as well. There are many more worse atrocities happening in this world of ours but for me those atrocities are created and caused by people with the same set of values that these "hunters" have.

Clive

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 23:21 PM »
Agree with all the points you all raised, but as Clive says, there's not much to add to this.

Technopat

a) Supply and demand?
b) Did this make the national press or just the local (foreign) interest?
c) We iberianatureforumers have yet to broach many of the institutionalised-extreme-cruelty-to-animal issues which abound on the Ib. Pen., (and elsewhere?).
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 07:48 AM »
Morning
I  found myself unable to say or add to yesterday to the posted issues. Disgust, dismay but not really surprised. I am with TP on this...

I know there are changes in the law just coming in here in Spain about animal cruelty  - I dont know if they are using these powers yet. Those who are reading Spanish papers regularly may be able to point to a chink of light ..please?
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 12:36 PM »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 16:04 PM »
Dear All
Now, what about bullfighting. :technodevil:
Regards
Dave

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 16:31 PM »
Dear All
I have taken this piece out of the clay pigeon shoot article so it is clear and explicit what is being talked about.
This does seem to sum up what seems to be going on  in a miriad ways here. I think there is a slow changing of attitudes but I have two rescue dogs and two rescue cats and regularly carry water and dog food in the car because of the chances of meeting starving or
pregnant bitches in the rambla.
"Spain tends to defend behavior that is cruel to animals by arguing that it is part of its tradition and cultural heritage," said Thomas Schröder, director of the federation, noting that animal rights groups routinely complain about bullfighting.
Well other countries in the EU would not be permitted to use this as an excuse.Certainl;y they have tried as in fox hunting.
Just as this article mentions various unpleasant practices in Germany so we must point to the level of cruelty and abandonment of animals in UK. I think we are back to "think global and act local" otherwise life gets so distressing on a daily basis.
SueMac

SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 19:34 PM »
Dear All
As Tore says morally and intellectually stunted, and probably stunted in another part of the anatomy, I just do not understand the pleasure. Perhaps they should be set free and then hunted down by a group of crack marksmen, what is good for the goose is good for the gander (Spanish anyone).
Regards
Dave

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 08:21 AM »
Dave, I don't think there's much chance of discussion re. bull-fighting, I'm sure we're all agreed on that one. The enlightened Catalonian authorities have hopefully paved the way for the (slow) abandonment of that practice.
SueMac, please put me out of my ignorance - I'd always thought the rambla was an avenue in Barcelona  ???
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Of course I will Clive ;D
 Down here in Murcia and Andalucia the word is also used in relation to dry riverbeds (which of course could turn into not dry river beds under severe conditions.)  Most of the tributary valleys have small dams which of course are a godsend to the wild life here and makes for the most wonderful wallowing holes for the boar.   But mainly it will protect Puerto Lumbreras from flooding which happened last century.  That is also why they are getting some money ubder the Robinwood assistance prog. So I live at 700 meters in the Rambla de Nogalte.  The village of Nogalte is at the head of the Beautiful rambla and is quite near to the Granada Murcia motorway. Here endeth the lesson... but with piccies
SueMac
ps unfortunately we are in bull fighting season down here and its very hard to handle ones emotions but there are little ways to convey outrage.
SueMac

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 09:56 AM »
Interesting insight into the intelligence of (hopefully just a few)  hunters here :o

Père David deer, brilliant  :biggrin:
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 10:00 AM »
Thanks SueMac, but it was me. I'm sure Clive knows. 
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Hola,

Started a new thread about rambla's and arroyo's at http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,435.0.html

Clive

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 23:33 PM »
Sorry Folks,
Just an update (actually it's a re-hash of the original article) to keep this thread from becoming just another bad memory:
http://www.theolivepress.es/2007/10/15/sick-safari-hunters-named/#more-730

Technopat

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 11:41 AM »
I can't believe this - Manuel Dominguez Martín, the opwner of the hunting reserve has been given a 2-year jail sentence and had his hunting licence revoked for 4 years. ONLY! Nothing about illegal trafficking because the animals were bought legally from zoos, even though the perpetrators were caught skinning the tiger as a trophy. Ecologistas en Acción are pursuing the case.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 12:31 PM »
Greetings All,
Does Technopat foresee a future in which ecologically-minded paparrazzi put their lives at risk and stalk the hunters to see how many judges, chiefs of police, politicians, captains of industry and bigwigs in general are among their number who participates at hunts?

Anyway, what did you expect - after all, they're only animals ... evil smiley goes here
Regs.,
Technopat

Weird bug here - only wanted to cross out the first bit and don't seem to be able to do anything 'bout the rest of the text will keep trying to de-bug at this end ... and re-post later
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:35 PM by Technopat »

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 12:38 PM »
Greetings All,
OK - Technopat surpassed - and surprised - hisself by fixing his previous posting problem. Here goes the corrected version:

Does Technopat foresee a future in which ecologically-minded paparrazzi put their lives at risk and stalk the hunters to see how many judges, chiefs of police, politicians, captains of industry and bigwigs in general are among their number who participates at hunts?

Anyway, what did you expect - after all, they're only animals ... evil smiley goes here
Regs.,
Technopat