Iberianature Forum

Where are the birds?

• 3 Replies

Offline Gped

« on: June 28, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Hi there,

We moved to just outside Juviles, Alpujarras In February this year. Having holidayed in the area several times, we had great expectations of wonderful bird life....

Apart from the odd wheateer, great tit, melodious warbler, etc etc we hardly see any birds and we are always out walking.   The binoculars are getting rusty... We were wondering, is it the repeated drought, hunters? Anyone have any ideas? There are so many (too many!) insects for them to eat here.

Thanks for any info

Gail

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:52 PM »
You should get in touch with Mick from Granada Wildlife..... Probably the most knowledgable wildife guide over your way.... A day out with him would hone your observation skills....

http://www.granadawildlife.com/
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Gped

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 13:32 PM »
Thanks for te reply and suggestion. I'm quite prepared to admit if observation skills are lacking.... but could they have declined over a 5 year period? Perhaps I should also have my eyes tested? Sorry but I find this reply rather patronising!
Kind regards
Gail

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 13:41 PM »
hahaha... That funny Gped and not at all patronising.... However, I work as a wildlife guide here in Grazalema and the most often comment I get is "How on earth do you see all those nature details... It's like you have the animals on remote control!"

And it's true, if I say to a guest that today we are going to see Spanish Ibex, Griffon vultures in your face and 10 species of dragonfly then that is what we would normally see plus a myriad of other wildlife at any time of year.... as a local guide that has lived and worked in this area for 15 years I know my area fairly well and I am still learning...The point in my answer to your post was that is might be an idea to take advantage of one of the finest wildlife guides over in your area... You only have to look at his website and facebook page to see the things that he is seeing...

Tee hee you could always start studying insects ! :)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey