Iberianature Forum

What's in a garden

• 0 Replies

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« on: February 16, 2007, 14:36 PM »
I am quite privileged, being a foreigner, and was lucky enough to meet fall in love with and finally marry a Spanish lady. This resulted, finally, in us moving permanently to Spain, when BT kindly offered me early retirement ( 52 years old). As a result of this we have our flat in Leon with its riverside situation and splendid views and abundant wild life, mainly birds. Also we have shared access to a cottage in Torre del Bierzo, where we continue to practice our gardening skills, in its 0.5 acre terraced garden. The garden is mainly devoted to fruit trees and roses, as anything else would require a permanent presence, but it is never the less a wildlife haven. The common birds are very similar to England. Song Thrush, Blackbird, Wren, Robin, Black Redstart, Chaffinch, Grey and Yellow wagtail, Goldfinch, Sparrowhawk and many more.
In the skies above we have Carrion crow, Booted eagles, Short toed Eagles, Ravens, the occasional golden Eagle (I think) and Rock doves.
Insects include many butterflies, the Camberwell Beauty, Peacock, Red Admiral, Holly blue, and my favourite the common swallowtail, with its wonderfully lazy flight as well as large black ants, with even bigger soldiers guarding their nests, centipedes millepedes, and once a Praying Mantis, Dragonflies ( we are close to the river), May bugs in spring, Crickets, grasshoppers, hornets, and thankfully few wasps as well as insects that I cannot identify, but I will one day
Regards Dave