Iberianature Forum

Capers and moras for lunch!

• 18 Replies

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« on: June 25, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Hola!

I thought I would liven up this board by copying today's entry from  my blog as I would promote both foods for Spain anyday

http://www.nativespain.com/second-year-spain-june-part-3
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:57 AM »
Hi SueMac
Outside our flat in Avenida de Salamanca, we have a row of over fifty Moras (Mullberries), only one is of the red variety, the rest are all white mulberries and it took me some time to work out what it was people were picking and eating from the trees, as people also collect the leaves for their children's silkworms. Sadly last year the council decided to prune the trees very severely, which means that this year we have no fruit, and also the leaves are well out of the reach of most people, luckily the trees appear to have survived their brutal treatment, but we will have to wait a while before we have fruit again.
Regards
Dave

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 14:34 PM »
 :o I didn't know you have to join tonyninfas to pick moras.
I've pickled nasturtium seed heads, they're v. similar to capers and no thorns.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 20:12 PM »
Greetings All,
Ever since SueMac posted those luvely pics. of  caper blossom (?), have been at two minds over whether to carry on eating the delicious things - bit like killing all those luvely little seals so ladies can wear fur coats   :'( / >:D (wrong board?). Or don't plants also have souls and feelings?

Which brings us to the little matter of the caper-related recipes so conspicuous for their absence at this board - does the iberianatureforum allow for non-Ib. Pen. dishes/recipes?
If so, I have one for a sauce which goes nicely with lamb, that typically Sp. meat and another for salmon a la plancha  :dancing: ... but I dasn't post 'em without prior approval from the snapish (snapish, not Spanish - it must be the heat!) powers-that-b. and/or a consensus among my fellow (and fellowess) forumers.

Regs.
Technopat
Ps.
All the Spaniards I've spoken to 'bout the caper blossom have also been surprised - such is the lot of latter-day city-dwellers.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 20:24 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 20:52 PM »
Oh go for it TP -theres nobody around except us and we wont tell
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 23:39 PM »
Greetings SueMac,
These are only for caper-lovers (nasturtium indeed!) - 'ere goes:

Sauce for 1 leg of lamb (approx 2 kg):
600ml (1 pint) vegetable stock (6 carrots, 2 onions studded with a dozen cloves, 3 leeks (white bit only), 6 celery sticks, 3 bay leaves, dill and/or parsley, salt)
25g (1oz) butter
25g plain flour
2 red peppers, diced
1 tablespoon ground tumeric (Sp. anyone?)
3 tablespoons capers, chopped
300ml (1/2 pint) double cream (I tried to substitute it once with soy milk, but it didn't quite work out)
freshly ground black pepper

Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour to make a roux and cook over low heat for a minute or two. Stir in the stock and bring to boil, stirring all the time. Add red peppers and tumeric, cook for couple of minutes, then add capers and cream. Heat gently without boiling.

The sauce for the salmon a la plancha doesn’t actually have capers – sorry. The capers are for the boiled new potatoes that accompany the fish:

Potatoes with caper sauce:
For 700g (1 1/2lb) boiled new potatoes (4 pers.)
5 heaped tablespoons homemade mayonnaise (slightly runny)
2 tablespoons capers, chopped
salt and pepper

Mix it all up to get a sort of sauce tartare, cover and cool before serving.

The recipe for the fish sauce is also nice:

Large bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
Large bunch of fresh mint, chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 or 4 tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
large amount of olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper

Mix all together, cover and cool before serving.

Courtesy of me mum.
Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 08:05 AM »
Thanks Tp and Mum I only get legs of cordero on special occasions. My mum would like it and she is out in Oct  - will report back. Turmeric =curcuma
SueMac
SueMac

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 21:03 PM »
Hi all
This is the third stage of the caper plant - I am now picking the swollen bulb. This is as big as I want them. The larger seed heads will now be left for the spectacular late stage of summer and the casting of seed for next year's crop.

SueMac
SueMac

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 16:59 PM »
Greetings SueMac curcuma's the one - and bloody difficult to get hold of here in Sp. They all prefer artificial colouring! Whenever I go down to Almeria (well, Mojacar,) I always stock up from a grotty supermarket that stocks it because of all the brits living there!
Regs.
Technopat

Ps.
Meant to mention it elsewhere and forgot - Technopat, Mrs Technopat and the Technopat kids will be in Mojacar more or less (dates are not my thing) from the 1st to the 10th of September. If you're around maybe we could meet up? The kids are mostly harmless and tame - as long as they've been fed recently (actually there's a great Italian ice-cream parlour on the beach front that works wonders as a blackmailing device for future good behaviour ...)

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 08:23 AM »
In the words of a certain Victor Meldrew "I dont believe it" .  Would have loved to have met you all in Mojaacar and started up the southern Chapter of the IBF. But for the first time in nearly two years I have to return to England , we are driving up to Le Havre from Nogalte by the way loaded with almonds, figs  and cava for my son's wedding( a great woman has decided to take the risk) in Cambridge and a little matter of the attached.  We start returning via French Pyrenees on September  10!
SueMac
SueMac

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 08:31 AM »
Hi TP

Because of the strong presence here of spanish morroccan people I get my bags of turmeric(curcuma) at the local markets by the bag. Cant remember what day  Mojacar has its pueblo market but will find out this evening. Do you do Nijar when you are in this region or is that too far?
SueMac
SueMac

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 12:51 PM »
Greetings SueMac,
And here I was, driving 550-odd miles every year to stock up on turmeric in glass jars! Is there really no limit to the stupidity of expats (I speak for myself, of course!), mad dogs, et al? Please let me know what day is market day in Mojacar and/or immediate surroundings (Nijar is just a little bit too far away - my carbon footprint http://www.carbonfootprint.com/ getting down to Mojacar is already way over the top for me to use the car while I'm down there - unless of course you were planning to hold that first clandestine meeting of the southern Chapter, in which case I'd be over soonest! >:D)

Regs.
Technopat
Ps.
I also stock up on Ribena (passing ref. only) and other stuff from that great supermarket.

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 19:44 PM »
Hi there
The last interesting stage of the caper cycle.  The swollen bulbs explode and hey presto!Seeds are ready cast for next year
SueMac
SueMac

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 20:26 PM »
Hi SueMac,
so the seeds are spread in the explosion rather than eaten by birds etc?? The remains look rather sticky and my - what a bright colour!

Regards, Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 21:09 PM »
Hi Sue
Doesnt take long for them to be dry and the colour will change a little at that stage. I suppose some birds  will take the seed but the area around the caper plant has mucho peligro! I am not underestimating the thorns.  Have you every tried to pick chumbas. They probably equate.  By the way they are ready for picking here and I am told they are lovely  very very cold with icecream.  Me I like to just peel them after they have been in the fridge and eat them with little ceremony
SueMac
SueMac

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 18:34 PM »
Hi Clive I do think you have more than enough ammunition for a tapas banner now  I will send you a piccie of wine
bottle glass or something like if you want
SueMac
SueMac

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 23:21 PM »
A word of warning if you ever meet up with TP, SueMac - don't be late!  8)
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 00:33 AM »
Ahhh! Oh well dont do make up! My problem is" just a minute I 'll just check Iberianatureforum...... " SueMac
SueMac

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 06:53 AM »
At least you're upfront about it  8)
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa