Iberianature Forum

San Glorio bears

• 142 Replies

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 14:24 PM »
The plan for the pistes has been published and to add to the excitement there's even talk of "cines" among the projected installations. Don't suppose they'd show the likes of "Born Free", "Brother Bear" ...  :'(
http://www.sanglorio.net/modules.php?name=Plano_Pistas
Interesting comment at the bottom of the page;
"Tres Provincias S.A. se reserva la publicación de los planos topográficos en detalle debido al elevado coste de los trabajos de ingeniería requeridos en los mismos. Todos ellos adquieren un alto valor que impide su difusión completa y forman parte de la documentación interna de la empresa, estando preparados no obstante para las Administraciones involucradas en el proyecto de la Estación de Esquí de San Glorio."

What, running out of money already  :noidea:

Good news however,
"La Ley de Biodiversidad evita que se especule en los espacios protegidos"
This new law will be approved at the end of the summer. Construction in protected areas such as those covered by Natura 2000 will not be permitted unless there has been a natural deterioration of their biodiversity.
http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/prensa/20070609/sociedad/biodiversidad-evita-especule-espacios_20070609.html
Could Cristina Narbona be quietly thwarting the San Glorio plans  :clapping:

www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Hi Lisa
Just to let you know I have posted details about the bears on the Tortosa Forum for you in the hope that it will pick up more signatures through its readers.
Good Luck
Tony  8)

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Thanks Tony  :clapping:
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 10:48 AM »
Of the €100,000,000 estimate for the construction of the project, the promotors 3P have asked for €45,000,000 in grants from the EU. In other words, 45% of the total from an institution that is supposedly protecting the area.

From el Diario de León - "El proyecto que más inversión generará es el de desarrollo de un complejo resort de ocio y tiempo libre en el entorno natural de San Glorio, promovido por la Estación de Esquí Tres Provincias, en el que se invertirán casi 45 millones de euros y que creará 34 puestos de trabajo."

34 jobs from €45,000,000  :o  Dondado, on his blog, says he'd be happy with a salary of a bit less.
Actually it must have been a typo because on 3P's website they say they'll create 350 jobs. Still, not a lot of employment for the poorest of the Leonés and Palencian districts affected.

The Plataforma en Defensa del San Glorio (PDSG) have cast a critical eye over the resumen of the project published on the promotor's website and, apart from the evident unsustainability of the proposed constructions (there is now proof that 16 individual bears inhabit the area) have pointed out a telling sentence;
"Clima: Con respecto al clima dicen lo siguiente, “Factor que no se puede
modificar”.
So, everything else can be changed but not the weather.

Here's a good one. Under the Plan para la Recuperación del Oso Pardo any areas providing food, refuge and communication corridors for the bears have to be excluded from the project. That must be about 99%. Guess who's in charge of ensuring the preservation of the bear's habitat - the Consejería del Medioambiente of the relevant regional government, in this case yup, the good old Junta de Castilla y León  :banghead:
Appeals are in court at this moment including three taken out by the PDSG re the changes made to the protection laws by the Junta.
There is now fear they may try to make changes to the Plan para la Recuperación del Oso Pardo.

The article what I wrote  :P is going to be published in the Ursus journal by the International Association for Bear Research and Management and there's now a San Glorio page on Wikipedia.

My head is spinning with the madness of it all  :speechless:  :speechless:  :speechless:

SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 11:29 AM »
Hola Lisa, Well done

Got to keep the pressure on...

I think there could also be a Wiki article in English detailing everything that has happened. I guess you must have enough material to do quite an in depth study so that you can forward people to the article when it is done and we'll put a permanent link to it from iberianature forum.

Of course a wiki article needs to be watched as anyone registered can edit the page any way they want to... A lot of articles get vandalised without the original author knowing about it.

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 22:46 PM »
Hi Clive, there's only the wiki article in Spanish but it can be auto-translated  :-X
Trouble is they're supposed to be neutral and I'm not sure I  could do that. (There's debate on the neutrality of the Spanish one.)
I think we may know someone  :technodevil: who could advise on wiki authoring when he's back from the L.O.G.  :lighttbulb:
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 12:33 PM »
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 15:40 PM »
Thanks Nick, I enjoyed doing it. Rep's and amph's next, well a few anyway.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 08:07 AM »
apart from the evident unsustainability of the proposed constructions (there is now proof that 16 individual bears inhabit the area)
Whoops, that number was taken from an article in the general press. The number of bears they found using the valleys of Naranco and Lechada in the San Glorio area was actually 5 or 6 and the numbers found around Riaño were, at the most, about 10 or 11. (The Diario de León must have added these figures up without taking into account the fact that some tracks could have been made by the same individuals.) An email to Fapas from one of the authors of the report published in May's Quercus magazine (which I've mislaid somewhere in our house  >:() substantiates these figures and he goes on to say how disappointed he is with the standard of press coverage of their study.

"...Este pasado sábado salió un artículo en el Diario de León sobre el trabajo que Javier Fernandez y yo mismo realizamos el pasado año sobre el oso pardo en el entorno de San Glorio y que fué publicado en Quercus.   Nos hemos quedado asustados de el escaso rigor de la noticia y el poco interés que han puesto en analizar el texto.   Encabezan diciendo que en la montaña oriental leonesa hay unos 16 ejemplares¿¿¿??? cosa que en ningún momento se dice en el estudio y afirman que seis de ellos viven en el Naranco y Lechada, como si tuviesen un pequeño chalet alli, y no salieran de esos valles....   En fín, vamos a pedir una rectificación al Diario cuanto antes y aclarar, que lo que se detectaron fue pasos de entre 5 y  6 animales distintos en ese área, en base a la medición de huellas ( método no muy fiable), con una presencia máxima de animales en Riaño durante el verano en torno a los 10-11 ejemplares.   En fín, seguro que a más de uno os había chocado la noticia...os aseguro que a nosotros también, se exige rigor informativo para muchas cosas pero la naturaleza sigue siendo prensa rosa..   Un saludo   Iñaki "
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:18 AM by lisa »
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 10:19 AM »
On Sunday the 26th of August there's going to be another protest walk against the construction of the ski resort from the San Glorio pass to Pico Tres Provincias organised by Ecologistas en Acción.
It will involve a walk of about an hour and a half then, for those wanting to go to the top, another hour to the summit.
Bring your own sandwiches  ;D

Anyone got any press contacts?
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 18:09 PM »
The petition has cracked the 2,000 barrier  :clapping:
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline steveT

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 19:16 PM »
Lisa,

Have a contact in EuroNews (They are a Pan - Eurpean TV and on line News agency/company) ...... And asked if they will cover it ...... They will if TVE cover it .....I've tried!

steveT

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 07:41 AM »
Thanks Steve T, they have. I've had a look for the link on forestman and can't find it but found this on youtube, La guerra de San Glorio Parte 1.
There are various links on this thread too.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline steveT

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Lisa,

I've just past this info on .........thanks.

steveT

Offline spanishfreelander

• Badajoz
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2007, 15:51 PM »
Hi Lisa,
We have both signed the petition today
Good Luck
Dave & Heather

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2007, 22:10 PM »
Thanks both, I'm looking forward to the walk on Sunday. We're going to camp the night before - if it's interesting I might write a report.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2007, 23:34 PM »
Umm... The report is obligatory Lisa...."Interesting" is a relative state of mind....

:)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 01:48 AM »
Greetings Lisa,
Why didn't you tell us there was also  an English version of the San Glorio thing at Wikipedia?  :dancing:

Maybe between the rest of us we can oomph it up a bit more over the next few days?
Regs.,
Technopat, your friendly neighbourhood  :technodevil:
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2007, 08:04 AM »
Easy, I didn't know  :o
The last time I looked the page was an (badly of course) automated translation from the Spanish. It definitely needs some time to "oomph" which I haven't got much of at the moment - time or oomph  :biggrin:

It's not quite correct either, oh dear.
TP, you're a registered user of wiki aren't you? I'll try registering to add a link to the petition for a start.

The link to the PDSG reminded me that I've uploaded a few photos to the Foto Protesta forum - guess who I am?  8)

Re. the report, I meant "interesting" in terms of wildlife/wolf spoor/bear tracks, that kind of thing but it should be interesting anyway and even more so if the weather carries on in the winter mode that it's in today  ::)
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2007, 08:22 AM »
That was fairly painless Wiki San Glorio
Hope it's not trashed and will try and add more when I can. Meanwhile, feel free you lot  :sign:
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa