Iberianature Forum

Pure English at the iberianatureforum

• 26 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: July 17, 2007, 18:20 PM »
Greetings All,
After having been sent off on a wild goose chase by Simon's reference to a lonk , I spent the following half-hour catching up on some real English - which will stand me in good stead on my up-coming visit to the LOG - visiting the Oxford English Dictionary online version & web site

In line with Nick's great drey (click here for iberianature internal link) from the other day (I should've been a poet  :dancing:), I came across the following new term (at least for this expat in Spain):

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/hedgehog?view=uk
Frequently Asked Questions

Words

Is there a word for a baby hedgehog?

Until relatively recently there was no well established word for a baby hedgehog. Although the word kit had occasionally been used, and sometimes pup or piglet, most books about mammals just called them `baby' or `young' hedgehogs.

However, by the early 1990s the word hoglet (or sometimes hedgehoglet) had been introduced, and this word seems to have been in general use among those with an interest in hedgehogs since at least the mid-1990s.

I also came across what I take to be the Oxford English Dictionary's authoritative version of collective nouns for animals - over the years I have been given many such lists - and since the advent of emails, even more - but I have often found them wanting in accuracy, etc., but I suppose we can take Oxford's word for it.  >:D

Tea break over, back on our 'eads!
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 19:30 PM »
Hola,

Not quite right TP...

I called baby hedgehogs "hoglets" from when I was little and my father taught me the word.

On a complete Nick like tangent (sorry Nick) Sue has called butterflies that refused to be photographed "flutterbutts"

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 22:19 PM »
Thanks for the lonk Technopat, another one to add to favourites  ::)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Simon

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 06:23 AM »
Hello TP and all,

It's perfectly simple: lonk (n) derives from the verb to lonk, which means to actually follow up a link and look at the result, i.e. link + look = lonk.  :clapping:

The noun phrase comes from the use of modal verbs, eg "That link looks interesting, I'll take a lonk at it." or, " I'll be with you, man, I'm just doing a lonk to the OED!" :booklook:

You read it first here folks.  :sign:

But can I claim the credit? No way, I believe that a djinn  :technodevil: lives in the microsopic space between my fingertips and the (Mac) kepboard!

Spread lonk around and let's look for its appearance in the next OED!

Regs

Simon
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 06:26 AM by Simon »

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:56 AM »
Greetings Simon and Nick and All,
Lonk is def. here to stay - say thanx to your djinn.

As for hoglet, it's a well-known fact that by the time a "new" word is incorporated into the dictionary (by definition when it appears in printed sources) it has already been used for a long time "in the street" (this is particualrly true of Sp. dictionaries) - and some critics even say it has already ceased to be used in the street by the time it appears in the dictionary.

Regs.
Technopat
Ps
With Sue's permission, I'd love to incorporate flutterbutts into me lexicon...
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Simon

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 06:11 AM »
Hi TP, Sue, Clive, et al,

So, hoglet, flutterbutt and lonk are a good start for a small Forum :clapping:

Simon
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:19 AM by Simon »

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 15:03 PM »
Greetings fellow and fellowess iberianatureforumers,
Just popped in here on my brief respite from hell on earth aka the parents'-in-law's (returning tomorrow for more season's celebrations  :santa_sad:), only to be greeted by the horrendous     
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
and just to give vent to my pent-up frustrations (in part for not finding a digital camera in my stocking *) intend to bring up the slight matter of the uncharacteristic iberianatureforumers' birds-of-a-feather and flock-of-sheep aka copy-cat syndrome which is becoming increasingly evident these days. :banghead:

I refer, of course, to this irrational tendency of y'all to insist on the double-emming of people belonging to a this forum.

Whereas English tends to double the final consonant at the end of a short word, as in win - winner and fat - fatter and plan - planned (and but - butter and bet - better  :technodevil: ) and,

Whereas English often doubles the m as in drum - drummer and bum - bummer (and sum - summer  :technodevil: ), and

Whereas English does double the consonant on longer words, this only occurs (with one or two exceptions) to the consonant at the end of the stressed syllable, as in begin - beginning and refer - referred, and

Whereas British English, as opposed to the American variety, does double the l, as in equal - equalled and travel - travelled, and

Whereas English does allow for doubling of consonants in words of (pseudo?)-Latin origin, such as focus(s)ed and bias(s)ed, you must admit they look weird, like, spelt biassed,

and for those of you privelidged priviligd lucky enough to escape the never-ending transition from grammar-to-secondary-to-comprehensive (and back again?) and who actually got the chance to study your own language, as opposed to picking it up as we went along (which is fine, as it goes  :dancing:) and should therefore know better, the whole point of all this is to reach the point of exhaustion and numbness of mind that my ranting has taken us/me to that the word forum has its stress on the first syllable - forum which I reckon means it should be  :sign: forumers, or rather, iberianatureforumers  :dancing: .

* there's still Reyes, though :santa_undecided:

Couldn't-let-the-year-end-without-a- :technodevil:-go regs.,
Technopat

PS.
In any case, even if any English-language experts out there were able to knock my theory down, the whole thing would come under iberianatureforum's very own  "bloopers" clause. So there  :santa_tongue: ! (Still not totally convinced that that smiley means what Clive says it means when he says it means "stick you tongue out at somebody" - if it did, shouldn't the tongue be in the centre? Technopat reckons it probably means something more like "Phew! Just got there in time!")
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 15:09 PM by Technopat »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 15:16 PM »
Calm down Tp... I am sure you will get your camera for Tres Reyes....

If not then just buy one for yourself in the new year sales...

It's a win win situation......

forummer? forumer?... It's Christmas try to let it go..............
:)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 15:18 PM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 18:07 PM »
Great use of the Smilies, note that there is definitely a favourite!
My fingers are crossed for your Tres Reyes gifts...
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 18:29 PM »
Hi TP
regarding your digital camera, I have come up with a simply brilliant idea  :lighttbulb:

If all else fails and the gift it is not forthcoming
Go out in Madrid and do a little strumming
If that doesn´t work and you´ve a little wealth
Just go down the street and buy it yourself

regards
Dave K

Simon

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 07:38 AM »
OK Teeps, both Hart's Rules and the Oxford Guide to the English Language confirm that the rule is that for wrods with more than one syllable only double the final consonant IF the stressfalls on the final syllable, so it should readShroommies and Forumies, Forumites, etc. BUT! Why do both of these 'corrrect' versions simply look wrong on the page? Answer me that!
Camera Connundrum:- ask for a digital SLR (enormously expensive and almost certainly not work it) and allow yourself to be downbid to a 'Superzoom' - much much cheaper and to all intents and purposes just as good!

Happy Reyes

Simes

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 11:03 AM »
Greetings Dave and Simon and All,
Many thanx, Dave, for that dedicated ode - is it copyrighted?
I'll get youngest Technopatlet (10, coming up 11) to take 'is rock-bottom-of-the-range-made-in-Taiwan Strat and cheapo amp down to the Metro (if they ever get round to cleaning it up), 'cos I'd only frighten the punters away with my "voice" :santa_shocked:

As for Simes' wrods, a) 'Shroomies or 'Shroomeys, however much they might roll their Rs, don't double their Ms 'cos there are two Os in front, and b) forumer don't look right 'cos your brain is accustomed to seeing drummer, which is one of the very few words in English which happens to contain that combination (apart from my earlier examples of summer and bummer, etc., and of course Dave's great strumming/strummer).

As to why we double the final consonant, the answer is to be found in the following examples:
game vs. gammon
feel vs. felt
diner vs. dinner
lone vs. long
super vs. supper

In other words, the reason they "look wrong on the page" is that they would sound wrong to the ear if you were to double that consonant or not, as the case may be.

And re. Simes' Camera Connundrum and subsequent suggestion that I settle for a downbid, great in theory, but in practice only comes up against the "why do you want yet another camera when you/we've already got 4 perfectly good ones" - a variation of which occurs from time to time, substituting "computer" and/or "pair of jeans" for "camera".

And as Technopat is still at Lesson 3 of the Assertiveness correspondence course :booklook: he's unable to meet the other side's chief negotiator on equal terms. (As the man said, I'm all for equality between the sexes - anything that'll help me approach an equal footing to SWMBO)

Technopat-ever-the-optimist-still-believes-in-the-Reyes regs.,
Technopat

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 11:07 AM »
PS.
Something weird about my "look wrong"/"sound wrong" analogy, but can't quite put my finger on it. But you get the gist ...
Regs.,
Tp

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Greetings All,
Just for the record, iberianatureforumers attending the iberianatureforumsummit would not be summitters, would they?  :technodevil:

Off-to-spend-the-next-few-days-at-the-in-laws-and-the-inevitable-off-the-back-of-a-lorry-deep-frozen-langostinos-from-Korea regs.
Technopat

PS.
At least no-one else but Mrs Tp and Yours Truly like the couple of bottles of brut nature Reserva de la Familia that I bring along ... :santa_cool:

Simon

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 13:33 PM »
Now then TP, I'd never have thought you would be the one to be bullied by SWMBO - maybe you should mix in a bit of Old Bailey's with your cava!

Happy New One

Simes

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 14:41 PM »
Greetings All,
Nice wordplay, Simes!!
Regs.,
Technopat
PS.
Just for the record, it's not bullying as such, it's more a case of - how can I put it? - powers of conviction (and the corresponding sentencing!) :santa_undecided: and these assert yourself by correspondence course methods are frustratingly slow ...

Simon

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 16:10 PM »
I don't suppose you and Mrs TP got where you are today without just a little bullying!

Simes

PS I think I've successfully de-glitched my website, even its terrible URL. So, how do you get spilled cava out of a Mac keyboard?

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 02:55 AM »
Greetings Simes and All,
Sorry took so long to get round to this one - just came across it by chance. It would obviously have dried out by itself by now! B. that as it m., my Mac keyboard is very easy to clean/dry - gently prise up each key with a small screwdriver/knife (don't take too many off at the same time unless you know yer QWERTY by heart!). *

First and only time it happened to me  :santa_cry: I panicked and spent a lot of time procrastinating until I finally decided to try/dry it out with a hairdryer - low heat and not to close - and then discovered, by chance, that the keys could be lifted out, and I could hoover and scrub away with a damp cloth to me heart's delight! Talk about relief  :santa_cheesy:

* Check with one of those number keys to the right that you don't use so often (?)

Of course 1 -  if you're reading this it probably means that you've managed to sort it out - unless you're using another keyboard.

Of course 2 - if you were drinking a good quality brut nature cava there's probably naught to worry about - unlike those poor sweet cava or Coke drinkers, you won't get many sticky keys **  :santa_grin:

** no relationship to the accessibility feature of computer desktop environments.

Of course 3 - now you all know why Technopat has survived so long, and against all odds, surrounded by technology - because of that nasty fright (followed by almost orgasmic - sorry, forgot this was a family forum - spiritual experience), and despite countless cuppas, copas de cava, etc. since, he never, ever, lets any kind of liquid or foodstuff come within spilling distance of his keyboard - survival of the fittest, etc.  :dancing:

'Ope-this-'elps-and-your-keyboard-is-similar-model-to-mine regs.,
Technopat

Simon

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 07:06 AM »
Hi Tee`s and all,

Thanks for the keyboard tip, that's about the only bit of the Mac user's manual that I remeber readingt about fifteen years ago! (Of course I'm one of those idiots who always makes RTFI* calls!)

Actually, I got the bubbles up my nose and had a sneeze event, so the contamination was really quite limited. If ever I do get round to cleaning outthe keyboard I expect it'll be a treasure trove of objects trouve!

Ta

Simon

PS * RTFI = Read the f*****g Instructions!

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 12:34 PM »
Greetings All,
Just came across that awesome word again today and thought you iberianatureforumers out there who might no longer be streetwise UK-style might like a little update on some of the things going down.
The following link is to the BBC English-language learning section (hey - we all learn something new everyday, even in our mother tongue!), and while I don't necessarily agree with many of the things Prof. Crystal says, he is an authority and a reference ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1453_uptodate3/page2.shtml

In-the-best-interests-of-all-you-English-and-Spanish-speakers-everywhere regs.,
Technopat

PS:
Don't forget what I've mentioned elsewhere: by the time a word or expression appears in print - and that includes internet - it is probably old hat already,