Iberianature Forum

Red Cabbage

• 11 Replies

Offline spanishfreelander

• Badajoz
« on: August 15, 2007, 16:47 PM »
Not usually being a Red Cabbage fan,friends of ours served it for sunday lunch a while ago and it was so tasty i thought other might like to share it.

THE CABBAGE RECIPE:

1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 med apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 med onions, sliced very thinly
1 med red cabbage, shredded, about 8 cups
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf

In a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat, in hot butter or margarine, cook apples and onion until tender. About 10-15 minutes.

Add cabbage, red wine, beef stock, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Heat mixture to boiling.

Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until cabbbage is tender, stirring occasionally. (This can take up to 1 hr depending on the cabbage)

To serve remove bay leaf. Makes 8 large servings, recipe can be halved easily.

N.B. I make make my own vinegar, if you use store bought make sure it is a good one as this will make all the difference to the results. Also, I mix the wine, beef stock and the vinegar together in a jug then add about 1/3 at a time as the liquid reduces, you may find that you wont need all the liquid.

Hope you enjoy it.
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 16:57 PM »
Greetings Dave,
Many thanx for sharing that here :clapping:
Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 21:47 PM »
A dash of raspberry vinegar and pears instead of (or mixed with) apple is good too.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 22:29 PM »
Greetings All,
And while we're at it - why not substitute the raspberry vinegar AND the apple in one foul swoop and just use apple vinegar  :technodevil:
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 09:18 AM »
................and how about adding a couple of cloves and a bit of sugar :dancing:SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline steveT

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 22:16 PM »
Dear all,

It's got a name in Spanish.............I've forgotten it................does anyone know it............it begins with r I think?

Thanks

steveT

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 23:26 PM »
Berza rojo?SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 23:33 PM »
Greetings All,
I think steveT was looking for the word repollo which is a synonym for col, but red cabbage is in fact lombarda - which I forgot to mention, is a traditional Christmas dish here.
Regs.
Technopat

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 23:39 PM »
SueMac's berza is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collard_greens - interesting etymology for the English word there on the wikipedia article - col?
Eat-up-yer-greens regs.
Technopat

Ps
Acelgas anyone?

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Swiss chard!

Cloves O.K (only just in my book) but definitely no dried fruits in your lombarda please  :P
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 10:02 AM »
Acelga is chard or beet - very nice and I have eaten versions the workd over but its green and more like spinach. So cabbage that is red is a totally different type of verdura; related to white cabbage but red!!!!
While we are at it -d did you know that carrots were originally red and the original carrot can still be bought here in Spain.  I think TP before you reach for your google button that it was the dutch who played around with it and decided orange was  better colour and we now assume that   is how carrots were always supposed to be.
SueMac
SueMac

Offline steveT

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Thanks TP,

It was lombarda I was looking for and getting confused with repollo ......... I'm not a lombarda fan mind.

Thanks again TP

steveT