pine processionary caterpillars

• 125 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2012, 11:30 AM »
Hi Bob

Really pleased to hear she is ok and didnt suffer too badly.

Next time im at the vet I shall ask him about cows, sheep and horses, he deals a lot with large animals. Id never thought about it. Interesting.

Offline Bob M

• Teflpedia
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2012, 15:29 PM »
Please tell me what he says - I'd be interested.

After all there are a lot of herbivores and some of them must take up a caterpillar by accident once in a while.

Offline StripeyCat

« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2012, 17:25 PM »
Hi Bob, I'm also glad that your dog didn't suffer too much. Regarding herbivores, maybe they just avoid eating all bugs? Dogs and cats will investigate anything that might be worth eating as natural carnivores, predators / scavengers and opportunists.

We've had none up here [here being in the foot-hills of mountains between Yecla and Caudette] but we heard wild boar last June, moving around between us and the solar park next door, so maybe they have rooted them up. I did see a big nest on the way back from my friends in Banyeres and some small ones in trees by the road on the way back from Pinoso to Yecla. If I ever see any here I will cover up, cut them down and burn them. 3:-) 

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58 AM »
It's that time of year again! learn about the pine processionary caterpillar and protect yourself, your family and your pets.

Another fantastic article by Sue Eatock?

www.wildsideholidays.com/wildlife-information-pages/20-animals/insects/34-dangers-of-pine-processionary-caterpillars.html
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Juan-P

• Saved this serin!
    • Knowall's Awesome Almería
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2014, 08:25 AM »
I notice that article says "Under no circumstances should you try to handle the caterpillars or their nests."

I have been cutting them out of pine trees and either binning or burning them for years, always taking sensible precautions. Gloves, using tools at a distance, etc. If you have dogs and pine trees, you have to destroy the nests early, or get someone in to do it.

My worst reaction to them was when walking in a pine forest, I didn't touch any at all, but it was a windy day and my arms got very itchy.

I have a mainly pictorial article here:
http://www.kn0wall.co.uk/wordpress/hazards/processionary-pine-tree-caterpillars/

Offline steveT

« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2014, 22:25 PM »
I got a similar reaction on my legs in Guadarama whilst in shorts....... a rash ..... and I my skin had not touched pin needles ..... it was enough the disturbance I caused walking through the needles for this to happen.