Iberianature Forum

pine processionary caterpillars

• 125 Replies

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 08:02 AM »
In the infant's school playground in Potes they draw a line of chalk on the ground which is out of bounds for the children while the caterpillars are crossing. You could try that  :)
Last year, a lot of dead pine was chopped down (that was exciting). While the guys were up there with their harnesses on, you'd think they'd have chopped out the nests too, wouldn't you  ::)
Photos please Maria!
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Steve West

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 15:52 PM »
I saw it on some news program last week, that hunters were being employed in Menorca to shoot the processionary moth coccoons from the pines. Well, I thought, better than them shooting passerines. Maybe even a pro-hunter argument?

Steve
Birds and Birding Tours in north-east Spain
www.birdinginspain.com

My latest book. Part travelogue, part memoir, part ornithology, Steve West’s engaging story of a young man seeking adventure and enlightenment in a foreign land
www.flyingoverthepyrenees.info

Offline Nick S.

• Nick S.
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2008, 10:34 AM »
Hey everyone,

I have been wondering about these ´white furry things´ since I arrived here, including whether they are poisonous. Glad I didn´t scoop any up!

But has anyone considered that maybe in some places its the pines that are the plague and the caterpillars are just acting to balance out a few things.  The pine forests here are monocultures that have been planted for cheap, fast wood instead of having oak and other hard wood trees. Maybe letting these buggers take out a few pines could let some other things come up?

Just a thought......

Nick S.

Offline shiner

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 11:20 AM »
cut the tree down

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 17:45 PM »
Hi shiner.. maybe you should read back over this topic and check out some of the links.

Could you be a bit more specific about why you suggest the tree should be cut down? Pine processionary caterpillars feed on a variety of endemic trees as well as introduced cash crop pine species...

A stone pine, for example, with a few nests on it needs cleaning not felling

Cutting a the tree down isn't really a logical solution.

Maria... What species is the pine tree in your friends garden?

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2008, 13:27 PM »
Hi im sorry ive no idea what species of pine tree she has, I could go take a picture next week then maybe someone could idetify it, all I know is its huge and has branches at the very top. If the tree was cut down then for sure the house would fall down with it!!  :o

With regards to shooting the coccoons from the trees, I do believe they are using a chemical not just a shotgun cartridge. Have thought of maybe getting a super soaker water gun and trying to spray them with something if it would reach that far. There are not many pine trees on our mountain but she is unfortunate enough to have one. One thing they dont like is old ash from a fire, we put it down around the tree and they have refused to go over it, in fact they had a complete pile up and did start going down an opening we left which took them on to a terrace below the house!!

Will get back to you with regards to either the speices of pine tree or a pic of it.

Maria

Im struggling to get the pics atached and have to go pick up some clients, will sort it later.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2008, 21:02 PM »
When I try to attach the photo/s it says that the attachment is unwrittable???!!! Does anyone know what this means? The photo is a jpg and is 150x200pixels!

Maria

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 21:03 PM »
i'll fix it now hang on

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 21:04 PM »
Ok try now

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 22:01 PM »
This is a pic of the tree and showing how close it is to the hosue. Could it be a Stone Pine??
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 12:34 PM by Maria »

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2008, 22:02 PM »
Here are the pics of the little beasties coming down the tree.

Thanks for fixing it.  :clapping:

Maria
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 12:35 PM by Maria »

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2008, 22:04 PM »
Hmmmm just looking at the pics on here and you cant really see what the pictures are about, should I try to enlarge them? They are 150 x 200 pixels??

Maria

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2008, 23:55 PM »
Hi Maria

Try 500 pixels wide 72 dpi.... saved for web should give you a file less than 100K

If you need proper help post on the computers, cameras gizmos and gadgets board....

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Thanks ive modified the pictures hope this helps.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2008, 14:42 PM »
This may have been asked already but I haven't got much time - What purpose do they have? As everything has one ('cept flies may be) I just wondered because I quite like them  :o
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline jane

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2008, 22:19 PM »
Hi

Im the 'friend' that Maria refers to.  It is a 'Stone' or 'umbrella' Pine and a rather huge specimin. As you can see from the photo it is an integral part of the terrace on which my house is built. I had no objection to the caterpillars until they decided to walk into the house, my bedroom, share the shower etc !! It has taken a week back in England in a 'hair free' environment to get the rash to disappear !!

I would like to prevent them nesting in my tree and will look into ways of doing that. Too late for this year but if I can deter the moths from egg-laying this would be the best solution. Any suggestions, as Maria said , would be welcome.

P.S. MANY THANKS to Maria who spent half a day with me in full protective gear clearing the critters from my house !!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Hi Jane, and welcome to the forum... Hope to hear some more from you in the other topics here....

If the moths continue to use your tree as a rearing ground then it will most certainly be damaged and even killed if the population gets out of hand. This could of course take years. There are dead pines in many areas that show this can happen.

If you could get hold of one of those kids pump up water pistol things In the UK they are "super soakers" or something like that...

Make a half and half mix of bleach and water and try to make the new nests as wet as possible... I would recommend that you do this as soon as the nests become apparent... The smaller the caterpillars the more vulnerable they are.

The bleach will certainly dissolve the nests and kill the caterpillars but I worry if a bird then eats a caterpillar it will get sick  and die...

I think that spraying the nest with something like vinegar would kill them as well... I also wonder if making them wet with some form of alcohol would kill them. Beer springs to mind but oh! the waste :)

It's not nice to kill things I know but these beautiful but deadly little creatures will become a very serious problem in the future if individuals don't attempt to control them as well as the larger landowners. To see an aeroplane spraying a forest with organo phosphates, organo nitrates and diesel oil because the land owners have let them get to plague proportions brings tears to the eyes and we witnessed a lot of insect life decimated along with many insect eating birds...

You were also very lucky that none of the irritant got inside you and only had the rash symptoms... Be more careful next time :)

Clive
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:55 AM by Wildside »

Offline judith

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2008, 20:13 PM »
Being, as you know, new to Spain, I was fascinated to see the processions on several walks and am pleased to say managed to id the caterpillars through my books,, not as now, since I've found iberinature, running to the site with anything and everything I see... oh but it is so much quicker and much more fun to ask you all!
We had something similar (but not the Oak Processionary) back in the capital of LOG in the  late'70's, early '80's . I've been wracking my brain trying to remember the name of that spp. but with no luck. I remember that people in the East End were being warned to keep their children away from the hairy caterpillars for the reasons stated in previous posts.
Hence when I saw the Pine Processionary's I warned the Peanut not to touch them. However, one did get into the car ( I think from the incredibly itchy rash on my back, it fell off me).... Peanut is now a watch- them -at- a -distance man....unless they get in your car when squishing is the best answer! My Hero (?)
The number of denuded and dead pines around here is quite alarming though, so despite my it's- nature-leave-it- alone thoughts...and, possibly,  because of itchy rash, I am going for the squish them campaign

Offline shiner

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2008, 13:21 PM »
Judith do your self a favour dont squish  do not touch them squishing them with whatever will transmit the toxic hairs onto the squishing medium and transmit them else where possbley into your home on the sole of your shoe burning them also gives off toxic smoke keep well away avoid the little blighters. if you have dogs make sure they do not run around unleased during the period that the creatures are moving, they move at night but even when squashed by traffic do not allow your dogs any where near the hairs get stuck in there paws the dog licks the irritation then its off to the vets and in some cases an infected part othe dogs togue requires surgery be very carefull

Offline judith

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2008, 19:13 PM »
hmmm. maybe my rash was not caused by them then. Although intensely itchy, it didn't require a visit to the doctor's/vets. But there was definately one in the back of the car. How long do the toxic hairs remain potent after they have drpped off the 'pillar?