Iberianature Forum

'Shroom in the Park

• 3 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: October 11, 2007, 12:36 PM »
The following was taken with a cellphone during a stroll through the Retiro - I first noticed it 'cos of clouds of yellow "dust" floating through the air and after repressing my instinct to flee in the opp. dir. drew up level with this beautiful ejemplar - can't have been there long 'cos the park staff would have done summat about it ...

Regs.
Technopat
PS.
While I haven't totally rejected the idea of accepting a dig. cam. from Old Father Darwin in December, I refuse to have a cellphone with cam.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 14:10 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:44 PM »
Greetings All,
It worked! And of course can't believe how mind-boggling simple it was to post it - even with Windows!
But in my eagerness to see if there was anything to see (the Preview function doesn't work for images?) I forgot to greet you all and pose the following questions:
a) What tree is it and what 'shroom is growing out of the 'ole?
b) I was struck by the huge amounts of spores being "expulsed" or "ejected" rather than released. There was absolutely no wind so they weren't being blown off . they were being pushed out and floated in the still air - unfortunately the camera didn't catch that - does anyone know whether it happens continuosly or only under certain temperatures, times of day/night, etc.?

Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Apologies for not holding a coin, etc. up to it - I was going for the natural look rather than the scientific aspect. It was more than a foot an' a half in height and about a foot an' a half in width.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 12:53 PM by Technopat »

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 17:19 PM »
Hi Technopat, I've done some trawling but have been unable to ID it, apart from it being a type of bracket or shelf fungus, of which there seem to be an almost infinite variety.  So even if yours isn’t as horizontal or shelf-like as others, I imagine it still falls within the group.  They like dead wood, but the spores will latch onto wounded bark on a living tree.  So in effect the tree acts as the stipe for the shelf-like structures, also known as “conks”.  Your 'shroom has white crinkly-edged conks!