Iberianature Forum

parasol mushroom

• 14 Replies

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« on: October 22, 2007, 10:03 AM »
This is the biggest apagallums I've ever found, standing in splendid isolation.  Has anyone eaten one?  I've been told they can be quite tasty, but it seemed a pity to pick this one.  It was already being nibbled anyway.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 14:57 PM »
My that's a big one Lucy  :o
Hope TP's not going to blow a fuse but we've eaten lots of these. Quite a mild flavoured 'shroom but the taste intensifies by drying and these dry really well. I thinly slice them and leave them spread out on a tray in a warm place ie. on top of the económica until they're quite brittle. When fresh they're good baked with a little sherry, garlic, parsley and breadcrumbs, or in soup.
One id tip I remember is to look out for the movable ring on the stem of these Lepiotas.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 15:07 PM »
P.S. Make sure it's not Lepiota brunneoincarnata. But as these only grow to 4cm you should be O.K.  :technodevil:
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 16:55 PM »
Greetings All,
'Mazing 'shroom, Lucy - thanx for that! And thanx for leaving it where it was - my book says that although groups of up to ten are usual, it can form colonies of up to a hundred. A 'shroomers' dream!
As Lisa pointed out, size is one of many clues in ID-ing 'shrooms. That's why ID-ing newly sprouted ones can be risky - many look the same.

Yours is a Macrolepiota but many of the simple Lepiotas, including the L. cristata - Stinking Parasol, are poisonous.

Lisa's L. brunneoincarnata - deadly dapperling - Parasol pardorojizo has a close relative, L. subincarnata - fatal dapperling. With such names, you can see why some of us get so many kicks out of ID-ing 'shrooms  :dancing:
Anyone know the difference 'tween deadly and fatal?

Just by way of example, came across this web page from the University of Galicia, in a region which had little tradition of 'shroom eating:
En Galicia coñecense un total de 1.600 macromicetos, das cales arredor dunhas 200 especies son comestibles, 10 poden ser mortais, outra media dúcia, verdadeiramente tóxicas e algo máis de 30, causan problemas menores.

Which basically says that of the 1600 known 'shrooms found in Galicia, some 200 are edible, 10 can be deadly, half a dozen are really toxic and just over 30 cause minor problems. Mindless stats?

Regs.,
Technopat

PS.
Read the other day that the Chanterelle, my absolute fav. and which I could - if I wasn't so smart :dancing: - pick blind-folded (just by its dried apricots-ish scent) is not so frequently picked in the US as it is in Europe 'cos it resembles another 'shroom they have over there (only) and which is toxic. I knew that the European one can be confused with the False Ch. Hygrophoropsis aurantica, but it is harmless as well as tasteless and although very similar - to the layperson  :technodevil: - is not in any way related to the Ch
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 16:57 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline glennie

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 22:08 PM »
Pics I took of the same mushroom (I think) last year.

None have appeared this year so far.

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 23:02 PM »
I meant to post this other photo of the super-sized 'shroom, being enjoyed by a visitor.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 23:04 PM »
Greetings Dave and All,
Amazing how you can get so much shade from such a smallish parasol! :dancing:

Also goes to show, yet again, the unbounded creativity of isolated fractions the yet-to-b.-convened madrileño Fraction of the iberianatureforum  :technodevil:

Rest-of-Ib.-Pen.-iberianatureforum-Fractions-look-out regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline glennie

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:47 AM »
I meant to post this other photo of the super-sized 'shroom, being enjoyed by a visitor.

I can't see the visitor. :(
Can you give us a clue?

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:49 AM »
And a great view of the movable ring on Glennie's second photo - on the stalk, not the ear that is  :biggrin:
Madrid fraction insignia  ???
(Slug on the stalk just taken a chunk out of the ring Glennie)
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Scientific name for the ring on Lepiota stalks anyone?
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline glennie

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:54 AM »
(Slug on the stalk just taken a chunk out of the ring Glennie)

Thanks.  :-*

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 00:25 AM »
Greetings Lisa,
Does that "anyone" include yours truly?
 :technodevil:

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 07:59 AM »
Greetings Lisa,
Does that "anyone" include yours truly?
 :technodevil:
If you must....
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 16:02 PM »
Greetings Lisa and All,
Have let pass a prudent number of days for y'all to chip in with the answer to Lisa's and lest Lisa - and others - think yours truly isn't actually able to provide the answer, can no longer dither and let pass this chance to show off contribute to iberianatureforumers' thirst for knowledge (actually, it's becoming ever más claro que el agua (En. anyone?) that the vast majority of you don't give two hoots for 'shrooms. :o

The Latin word in question is annulus although every 'shroom book I have makes reference only to the ring. Likewise, the technical name for what everyone, including all my books, refers to as stem or stalk, is stipe, which doesn't seem very Latin, by the w.

Regs.,
Technopat

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 09:59 AM »
Excellent  :clapping: So what we have here is an example of a flaring annulum on the stipe of a Macrolepiota  :dancing:
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa