Iberianature Forum

Caza Mayor dates for hunting last year

• 30 Replies

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 16:48 PM »
potes' prescient informer was right! Boar hunts have been suspended in the Reserva Nacional de Caza del Saja until February. The Consejería de Desarrollo Rural has stepped in to call a temporary halt to all boar hunts because of the threat of violence between the clubs of Santander and Liébana (more local than them). Before 2006, the reserve was regional.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 20:10 PM »
So it was a reserva regional and now it's coto privada in Saja?

Hmmm I had a conversation with a hunting guard about this subject in the sierra de culebra...

he said that if the sierra culebra changed its status to natural park then the hunting would also change to coto privada from regional..

His summary in this scenario was that every one would want their piece of the action jealousy and competition between clubs would ensue and the wolf would be gone in less than 5 years....

Interesting....

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 22:20 PM »
Sorry, I had to rush that post as I hadn't realised the time. The status of the hunting reserve changed form being regional to national which I think meant that other clubs apart from the most local now get more shots (sorry) at the draw to see who gets to hunt where. There's certainly bickering going on and Mummy has taken the toys away.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Steve West

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 15:25 PM »
Just a quick note on the huida hacia delante (I also work as a translator!), I haven't consulted all available sources, but if I had to invent an equivalent it would be something like "The best form of defence is attack" or maybe "Retreat in a forward gear".

Steve
Birds and Birding Tours in north-east Spain
www.birdinginspain.com

My latest book. Part travelogue, part memoir, part ornithology, Steve West’s engaging story of a young man seeking adventure and enlightenment in a foreign land
www.flyingoverthepyrenees.info

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 16:23 PM »
Greetings Steve and All,
Thanx for having a bash at huida hacía delante - your "The best form of defence ..." is pretty good but not the mot juste  :technodevil: . As for "retreat in forward gear" sounds great (can just hear the graunching...) but I've never heard it (the phrase) - does it exist or did you really invent it? Looking forward to results from your other available sources, as this one has been bugging me (and I've been bugging all my friends and acquaintances) for years.

On a more thread-related note, heard on RNE of an exhibition opening today in Valladolid which tries to explain how wolves are not the danger to all that everyone thinks. The organiser is an ex-collaborator of De la Fuente, and one of the things he said was that Spain had the highest wolf population in Europe (between 2-3 thou) and half of these were in Castilla y León. He made no specific mention of Portugal, but said that all the wolves on the IB. Pen. were to be found north of Madrid, i.e. none in Andalucia, Murcia and Extremadura.

Re. the original posting on this thread, contained the following:
It's a business and they know how to protect it.

Mindless stats. for Spain tell us that over 80% of all new businesses go bust within 5 years. And my personal experience of the business acumen of most businessmen I know is that they have no idea about what goes on in their own sector or even company - they are too worried about dealing with each immediate problem as it arises - what we might refer to as doing chapuzas (En. anyone?) - rather than planning ahead and avoiding potential problems. Surely estate-owners/managers are no different. Taking my argument to other fields - Clive, you have oft stated your opinion of tree management, and now that we have Steve here, what's the state of the art for out-sourcing translations or in-house, for that matter - I'm sure everything is a rush job, even at the best of times.
For another mindless stat., the DGT reckons half a million cars on the roads in Spain do not have the minimum obligatory insurance. And there are an awful lot of road controls here.
Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 18:55 PM »
Hi TP
Chapuzas translates, as you know, as shoddy work, but in this case I would call it papering over the cracks.
As far as Huida hacia delante, I think this should be Huida hacia adelante, the relentless pursuit of the unattainable or, as we we would say, chasing rainbows.
Am I close
Regards
dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 08:51 AM »
Greetings Dave and All,
shoddy work and/or botch job.
Re. huida hacia delante vs. adelante versions vary and a quick google gives half a dozen of one ... (the same happens with mirar hacia a/delante).
My instinct tells me that adelante would be more "Go ahead!" - in other words, it would be redundant to say hacia adelante, but this is a gut feeling - really have no idea.
As for chasing rainbows and relentless pursuit... great expressions but not quite what I'm looking for  :dancing:
Can we appeal to the bilingual iberianatureforumers?
Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 09:16 AM »
Hi there
 La Huida hacia delante seems to come up alot as a phrase on the internet.  Flight forward was one translation and I have picked this out of an article on El Opinion.com ie French and Spanish phrase in use:

"La expresión La fuite en avant (La huida hacia delante), aquí diríamos ‘botar el balón hacia delante’, se puede aplicar al comportamiento que están teniendo las autoridades monetarias de los E.U. Por lo pronto, las autoridades están tratando de evitar que llegue la recesión, pero ¿qué consecuencias tendrá sobre los mercados financieros que como respuesta a una crisis se les reduzca el costo del dinero? Un dilema interesante adicional para las autoridades monetarias resultaría de la aparición de presiones inflacionarias. En efecto, el precio de la gasolina y de los alimentos también han venido subiendo en ese país."
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 10:01 AM »
Could we get back to talking about hunting here please? Especially the subject of the hunting allowances for certain species at certain times of year which is what this topic is about.

There is a language board created after public demand especially for you all to decipher words and phrases....

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 10:32 AM »
Oops sorry we´ve been moderated
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 13:13 PM »
Greetings All,
Technopat accepts full responsibility for leading his fellow and fellowess iberianatureforumers astray - he just can't resist going off on tangents however intangible, which of course raises the ugly head of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangentopoli ...
Chastened regs.,
Technopat