Iberianature Forum

'shrooms From the Beech and Pyrenean oak woods

• 4 Replies

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« on: October 29, 2007, 08:22 AM »
From the Beech and Pyrenean oak woods down from the Piedraslenguas pass in the Cordillera Cantábrica, with apologies for the camera focussing on the leaves rather than the 'shrooms  ::)

1) The 'shrooms on the right had a jellyfish-like quality to them.
2) Lichen/'shrooms?
4) The colour hasn't come out well on these, but they had a soft yellow, stone-like look to them.

(SueMac, a tip for picking 'shrooms - cut the stipe with a sharp knife to avoid earth in them.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 08:52 AM by Wildside »
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Hi Lisa, I recognise no. 3 from a chart I’ve got: “Bolets comestibles i toxics”.  It falls into the latter section, and the Catalan name is “Peu de rata” – rat’s paw – Ramaria formosa. 

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 13:36 PM »
Thanks Lucy. So it's a Coral fungus and doesn't seem to have a common name in English but I found Ramaria elegante as a Spanish name.
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 19:20 PM »
Greetings Lisa and All,
The Yellow Ramarias vary enormously in shades of yellow and in size, and cause much confusion 'tween edible and poisonous ones. The difficulty of telling 'em apart means it's best to avoid eating 'em.

Given the pale yellowness of Pic. 3, I reckon yours is Ramaria flava as opposed to the Ramaria formosa, which tends to be more yellow-reddishness, whereas the Ramaria aurea would be golden-yellowish.

Pic. 4 is probably Clavariadelphus truncatus if on decaying pine needles or Clavariadelphus pistillaris if on limestone and especially beech woods. Both are edible, the former being sweet and the latter, bitter.

Back-soon regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:06 AM »
Thanks Tp. What about no.2? Lichen or fungus??
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa