Iberianature Forum

Spanish civil war and the present

• 31 Replies

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Simon.  What do you mean you missed the famous eagle ?  Were you walking through with you eyes closed ?

Spoke to our Spanish teacher about the town being divided over whether it should go or stay, and she was (supposedly) unaware of any discussion over its future.  My own feelings are that they should leave it alone - it is one of the sights of the town.

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 09:16 AM »
Welcome back Simon

As I didnt know the guy was I had to google it of course and found this tiny tidbit about his living to 101 despite being a hypochondriac and supposed to have been in poor health:

http://wais.stanford.edu/Spain/spain_serranosuner1703.html
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 09:36 AM »
....and for anyone interested here is the obituary from the Guardian in 2003
http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/article/0,2763,1035349,00.html#article_continue
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 17:20 PM »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 21:00 PM »
Greetings All,
Not totally off-topic, but the word going round Madrid is that thanks to the crisis the whole Los Monegros thing is off...

Wasn't sure whether to post it here or on the Los Monegros thread - we really do need that cross-referencing feature, but confident of my ability to survive the recent hefty run of work and knowing that I would rise from the ashes of my former self, empowered, highly motivated and back on pre-summer form, I opened a desktop folder where I plonked odds and ends (Sp. anyone?) that I didn’t have time to post here at the iberianatureforum but that I thought might be of interest, and that I knew I’d forget about if I trusted my memory.

While we were all recovering from the shock of reading about that crazy scheme, there was something else about Los Monegros, Huesca that kept nagging me and which I just couldn’t pinpoint. And then, while peeling the spuds one evening it hit me: George Orwell fought in the trenches there, at first based out of a village called Alcubierre.

Some years back, the Comarca de Monegros opened up a tour/itinerary that shows the front and explains some of the stuff that went on there.

Some web sites I came across (they all say basically the same things but worth reading all the same):
http://www.redaragon.com/turismo/orwell/rutaorwell.asp

http://www.redaragon.com/turismo/orwell/georgeorwell.asp

http://www.elperiodicodearagon.com/noticias/noticia.asp?pkid=222951

http://www.fundanin.org/pardolancina2.htm

Historic-memory regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Simon

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 13:05 PM »
Nice goin' Technopat!

I remember reading about the restored bunker when it opened but didn't know exactly where it was.

If anyone wanted to do an 'Orwell Tour' it could also include a visit to ?La Sue Vell, or  old cathedral,l in Lleida (signposted in the castillian version, Lérida, in Aragon) where Orwell was hospitalised after being shot on the front line. The cathedral, which was converted into a fortress from the XVIII century after the 'New' cathedral opened in 1781, was heavily shelled by Nationalists and it makes a fascinating monument. Furthermore it also hosts film footage and still photographs of the period. Not only that but the view from the tower is amazing - after the climb of about 260 steps that is :technodevil:

We'll keep a red flag flying . . .

Simon

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 14:35 PM »
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline John

• Tuk Tuk Tours
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 16:09 PM »
This article appeared in The Sunday Times Magazine last week. There is a copy of this article on the link below

During General Franco's reign, tens of thousands of Spanish children were taken from their families, handed over to fascist sympathisers and brainwashed. Now growing old, they are fighting to discover the truth about their past before it is lost for ever. Written by Christine Toomey in the Sunday Times Culture International magazine on 1/03/09..........

http://www.tuktuktours.co.uk/links.htm#civil

John
Small and friendly tours in the Costa Blanca

http://www.tuktuktours.co.uk

Simon

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 11:05 AM »
Hi John,

That's an interesting angle to pursue, thank you for giving it to us. I followed your link but couldn't find the article that you are talking about. But here is a link to the original Sunday Times Article.

It makes fascinating but very sad reading doesn't it. I don't want to comment on the subject  until more folks have read the article; apart from anything else it stands on its own well enough.

So long for now

Simon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 20:32 PM »
Greetings All,
Today Catalonia (Catalunya) conmemorates the 69th anniversary of the execution, on sentence by "an illegitimate court martial", of the President of the Generalitat, Lluís Companys (approximately pronounced coompunss), who was captured by the Gestapo and turned over to Franco.

His is the only case of an incumbent president of a government to have been executed in Europe. These little details may help to explain to those of you new to Spain or still trying to get to grips with the heady politics of this country why Catalans feel their national identity so very strongly. But over to our friendly neighbourhood iberianatureforumers from the Catalan Fraction, who are better qualified to explain such details.

El País' take on it.

The much-criticised - by Spain's rightwing - Ley de Memoria Histórica opens the way for that "trial" to be annulled, the first step having been taken yesterday, when Spain's minister of  justice declared it illegitimate.

Guess-which-laws-apart-from-those-of-education,-abortion-same-sex marriage-get-repealed-first-when-the-PP-next-win-the-general-elections regs.,
Technopat (not feeling particularly politically correct these days/weeks/months)
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Simon

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 08:36 AM »
Well done Professor T! I didn't know that the view from Madrid extended this far  >:D

Regarding the view from the Catalonian Fraction, as de facto representative-of-the-day I just have to point out that here the news was ecliped by Joan Laporta's (president of F C Barcelona) very public political presence among the ranks of the Esquerra Repubicana de Catalunya (ERC), clearly left-wing and er, replublican, but not quite so clearly, in support of complete independence for Catalonia!

Here's the independently minded* La Vanguardia's 'take' on the events (in Spanish as always). An interesting contrast of focus to that of El Pais!

I particularly liked reading this article after the event because of Alicia Sanchez-Camancho's ** (the Catalan PP leader) comments:

La presidenta del PP catalán, Alícia Sánchez-Camacho, no está nada de acuerdo con la creciente proyecció política de Joan Laporta. En declaraciones a TVE, señaló que, como presidente del Barça, representa a miles de personas y muchas de ellas no comparten sentiminetos independentistas. Sánchez-Camacho recurrió al refrán para aconsejar a su amigo Laporta: "Zapatero, a tus zapatos".

Well, apart from that quiet side-swipe at JLR-Z, it's a good job A S-C' second name isn't Pastor  :technodevil:

I also leanred an ace new word, 'rifiraffe'!  :booklook: I think this will definitely be a frequently used item in my vocabulary!

* That's independent in the sense of no political affiliations rather than independence the 'sovereign' issue!  :angel:

** I see that when they made your friend La Espe they didn't throw away the mold!  >:D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:42 AM by Simon »

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 19:39 PM »
And what about, I'm sorry but I have to say magnificent, half-heartedly de-Franofied Tortosa Eagle? is this exempt? Can't find an image but its stands on an concrete island in the middle of the river. I've been told the town is divided on its fate.

If I manage to clear the 30m pine tree that blew over last night across the track, and get the car out, I'll be going to Tortosa on Monday, so I'll get a photo then. Chainsaw had a new chain last week thank goodness...

pault
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics