• 479 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: November 24, 2007, 16:56 PM »
Hi all, :)

Finally we have some rain here in the Sierra de Grazalema... It has turned chilly too with temps down to 6 degrees celsius at night times... We need a good month of this rain though... Nice pitter patter stuff. Not that stupid 300 litres per metre in 10 minutes and golf ball sized hail!...

So I am after weather reports please? Is the powder snow in the Picos the best ever? Leon has an ice rink? ,Extremaduran ice or almerian sleet...

what's the weather doing...

A future project of mine is to supply people with internet connected weather stations that update every 10 minutes with graphs and interesting stuff...

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 17:56 PM »
Hi Clive

Its 'orrible 11 degrees out of the wind and the Cabeza de Jara is under cloud with spit rain. Lucie the Westie just sat down and said in doggie 'If you think I'm going walking in this you must be joking' . So no olive picking but a posting up on my blog and stew for supper.
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 21:27 PM »
It's peeing in the Picos. Well, down here at 300m anyway. Nice, steady rain, nothing too heavy. Higher up we're having our first real dump of snow after a couple of smatterings and the snow is down to @1,300m.
Had some heavy frosts last week so 'shrooms all gone and lemon tree in it's winter quarters.
Beef stew.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 22:38 PM »
Beautiful sunshine in the Els Ports (Catalonia) today and the temperature gauge on the local chemist's read 16 at mid-day, but there has been a chilly wind blowing all day in the mountains, and it gets very cold at night.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 22:48 PM »
So.. Tony... Time to put the flip flops away till spring and put some clothes on??? :)

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Greetings Caesar and other Mollymawkers,

Re. your
blowing a gale
coming from you I would imagine it's literal
John Badcock, in Domestic Amusements, 1823 (referring to a sea voyage):

"The severity of the climate having compelled them to batten down and caulk their abiding place."
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/56700.html

Not much advice forthcoming from Madrid landlubbers - bright blue skies but zero-ish temps.at night (mildly irritated as I can't head off to mountains 'cos chauffering kids around to various weekend birthday parties) - as to how to cope with such circs., but I would imagine slightly better off where you are than out at sea ...

Good luck!
Technopat
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 17:07 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Hi all - where do I find a definition of a full shroomie? Congrats anyway Clive Sue Mac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline spanishfreelander

• Badajoz
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 13:18 PM »
Hi Clive & Sue
Up here in "Badajoz Land"..its been very,very cold at nights..down to freezing with ice on the car windscreen 2 days running.
Daytime temps have struggled to get past 8 degrees,but dry after all the heavy rain we had earlier in the week.
Today the suns out and nice and warm in it,but the windchill factor then comes into play.
Had to buy heather a thermal neck warmer yesterday..but these women are soft,aint they? (waits for head to be bitten off)...lol
Dave

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 16:28 PM »
Hi Everyone
Here in Leon, after a little rain earlier in the week, we are now very sunny, very cold, with a good dusting of snow above 1000 metres, it looks very pretty. As with Dave in Badajoz, there is a significant breeze, which goes right through, my tweed cap and Wax jacket (muy ingles) is definitely de riguer( Spanish anyone ?) at the moment.
Regards
Dave
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:40 PM by Dave »

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 23:09 PM »
Yes Clive - the togs are now back on.
Last swim in the sea 'au naturel' - 2 weeks ago.

Offline spanishfreelander

• Badajoz
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 07:39 AM »
Hi Tony,
Heather swam in the sea last Jan 6th "Au Natural"...though i cant see her doing it in Lake serena at this time of year.
Roll on the summer..lol
Dave

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 10:07 AM »
Rain is avoiding Catalunya this year.  The cold snap of the previous week seems to have triggered some nice autumn colours in Barcelona though.  Last autumn was so mild that many trees were reluctant to turn and leaves were still green at Christmas time.

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 14:47 PM »
Hi just noticed  today that there is a powdering of snow on the Sierra Maria above Los Velez - probably about 1500 meters- this is early.
SueMac
SueMac

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 21:43 PM »
All this talk of SNOW and FROST is very alarming!
Caesar exaggerates the cold, I think - he's a bit over-sensitive to cold, having been born somewhere nice and hot - but he doesn't exaggerate the strength of the wind.
(The cat went ashore, as is his wont, of an evening, and evidently couldn't get back aboard; the wind was holding the boat four feet out from the jetty. The girls and I went to look for him, the next day. We wandered around in the cold wind calling, "Trrrrrruco!", and he finally popped his head out of a drain. He was cold, wet, hungry, and very scared. And he hasn't dared to go out of the cabin since!)

The gale notwithstanding, we have not yet needed to put away our flip-flops - but we have had to change from shorts to jeans, and we have had to dig out the jumpers.
We were supposed to have gone south (to the Tropics) before this unpleasant business occurred again.

Lisa, I'd been thinking how nice it would be to visit the Picos before we left. I've never managed to drag the team that far west.... But mention of SNOW has put me right off that idea!!!
This having been said (and some of it with tongue in cheek), last January we were wearing T-shirts and picnicing al fresco in the Pyrenees. And I am confident that within a week we will be wearing sun-tan lotion, and not much more, in La Manga, once again. That's one of the beauties of Spain: variety.

Jill

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 09:11 AM »
Yep.  Just when we are due to fly to the LOG for a few nights the temperatures here in Tortosa are predicted to rise back up to 22 !!  Mind you it could all change by then.

Simon

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 10:30 AM »
Hi All,

I guess it's all my fault, as usual. Here I am back inthe Pyrenees and it's boiling - 13 degrees yesterday on the terrace! Even here in Tremp - a notoriously frio sitio - it hasn't touched zero these last few days.

Cheers

Simon

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Ah well, Grazalema has once again proved itself to be NOT the wettest place in Iberia.... Two days of pathetic drizzle has now been replaced by bright blue skies and sunshine....

Still its nice weather for walking in...

:)

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 14:22 PM »

Lisa, I'd been thinking how nice it would be to visit the Picos before we left. I've never managed to drag the team that far west....

Jill

When shall I reserve the mooring in San Vicente de la Barquera for? Please don't bring Truco though. Another animal would probably mean divorce  :(
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 18:29 PM »
Here I am back in the Pyrenees and it's boiling - 13 degrees yesterday on the terrace!

Are you being funny, Simon? 13 degrees is COLD! It doesn't often go that low in our little corner of the world - thank heavens galapagos. (Note that I'm not saying it never does; three years ago it actually went down to 0 degrees for a couple of nights. People mistook the frost on the jetties for snow. They'd never ever seen it before!) As I write, it's 18 degrees in the cabin and Caesar says he's freezing cold.

I guess climate is all a matter of mind. One man's boiling point is another lad's freezing point. Or perhaps its a matter of wardrobe and of fireside. If I had a wooly jumper and snow-boots, and if this boat were equipped with a roaring log fire, then I'd be delighted to let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Lisa, if San Vicente de la Barquera is where I think it is - just a little bit along from the Costa del Muerte, in the Bay of Biscay- - then I think we'll give it a miss this season. When sailors talk of the dangers of becoming embayed, it's Biscay that is looming large in our thoughts! (Smiley skull and cross-bones goes here.)

Jill

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Hi everybody
An ear tingling cold in Leon today at 10:00 am, 0 Degs. , although the sun is shining from a cloudless sky, the pots are frozen and the deciduous trees and shrubs have all lost their leaves. The banks of the Bernesga are covered in white, like icing sugar. At night the stars are very bright, and the various constellations are easily visible, despite the light pollution from the city below. Mars is especially bright and very red. It is all very fresh and beautiful.
Regards
Dave